Rotating Apoapsis right after a burn [Thoroughly Answered]

Hi all.

I\'m wondering what the best way to rotate an elliptical orbit in its own plane is. (Hopefully when the craft is at Periapsis) I would use this maneuver to fine tune Munar transfers. I currently try burns straight up or straight down (+90, -90 inclination) to acheive this. Am I doing it correctly?

Here\'s a picture with pretty arrows:

1nNXJ.png

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Thanks again everyone who posted. It seems like I was doing things correctly, in general. Semininja, I\'m still interested in seeing the pictures for clarification :)

EDIT 2: Thanks, Semininja!

I know you can rotate an elliptical orbit\'s major axis prograde by either burning upwards at apoapsis or downwards at periapsis.

Basically this mimics the effects of temporarily reducing or amplifying (respectively) the force of gravity, circularizing your flight path for a given orbital speed. When you stop burning, your original elliptical orbit will resume, but in a new orientation.

I don\'t know how to swing the major axis retrograde, but I\'m sure it\'s possible, if not very efficient.

Intuitively, I\'d say that you would probably want to burn twice, once prograde half-way between Ap and Pe going outwards and then retrograde between Pe and Ap on the way back down. Stuff like this is rarely intuitive though, and that probably won\'t help you much if you plan on stopping off at the Pe for a moon orbit/landing.

One way to adjust your orbit before it\'s reached all the way out to the target orbit is to burn prograde about 90 degrees after your perikee (relative to Kerbin, not the orbit). This will raise your apokee while also rotating your orbit prograde.

Pic to follow soon.

Arrows near Kerbin show direction, location of burn; arrows near Mun show direction of Ap movement.

Relative to an orbit in the 090 direction:

Burn 90° relative to your velocity vector outwards (from Kerbin) to rotate your apoapsis CW (from map looking from top). Burn inwards to rotate it CCW. After you get it rotated to your liking, burn to adjust apoapsis height.