[WIP BETA] Nasa IXS Warp-ship for Interstellar

Stevie_D

Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Cockpit Cabin Window Lights - Yey or Nay?

• Yes!(downside is it turns both cabin AND cargo lights on/off. Pitch black bay if you forget.
    • No!(downside is looks like not much activity inside, and comm mod harder to see in darkness

not really.

Color is broken down in a bunch of different ways, one of them Hue Saturation Value, I like to think of value as Intensity, basically white has an intensity of 100%, and a saturation of 0%, which means the hue is unimportant; Black has an intensity of 0%, making everything else unimportant.

With the emissive layer set to black the part is emitting black in the same way an unpowered lightbulb is emitting dark.

not really.

Color is broken down in a bunch of different ways, one of them Hue Saturation Value, I like to think of value as Intensity, basically white has an intensity of 100%, and a saturation of 0%, which means the hue is unimportant; Black has an intensity of 0%, making everything else unimportant.

With the emissive layer set to black the part is emitting black in the same way an unpowered lightbulb is emitting dark.

So that's why the dark room looks even darker when I put an unlit light bulb in it! Jeb said it was because my brain is too small, but now I've got him pegged! Super-scientist my arse!

Thanks for the enthusiasm guys! It helps when im bashing my head against a brick wall trying to work out why my airlock hatch is being obstructed! hehe (must've read every tutorial on airlocks on the internet and its still giving me grief, arrgh!)

Anyways, im not going to give as many updates this week as i have been doing, or show as much. The reason? I got a heck of a lot done over the last 4 days, and Im entering the end straight, so the next time i post i should have a video or two to show it and its customization options off in greater depth, AND possibly a test release for you all to try and break and find bugs. (poss thurs/fri/sat)

So since the next update will be a big bounty, ill just give a quick summary of what's been happening :

I've finished modelling EVERYthing. Including the optional modules and science instruments to put into the main body trusses... you dont have to use them, but i thought it would be nice to have some basic "same factory" parts that came with it, to help with learning its module customization system.

ixs_25_zps692bebea.jpg

and

ixs_26_zpsc590fcb0.jpg

(From left to right - Gravioli Detector, Sci9001 Science Snr, Gamma Ray Spectrometer, Magnetometer, Thermometer, Communotron, Karbonite Detector, Crew Module, Science bay Module.)

I've also given everything their CFGs. Tweaks on those are all thats left.

I've got the hangar bay doors on the command module working like a charm, flag decals all sorted, so texturing and testing are my only real goals left now, and any stumbling blocks (like the airlock hatch) that arise.

Im worried about that airlock too, because from everything ive read up on, unity/KSP might not like the fact the command module has so many collision meshes, and it is *inside* a hollowed out structure made up of them. Ive still one or two more tricks ive read to try to get the airlock hatch to work, but so far its the old bane of the modders "I can enter it but i cant exit it" scenario.

If im still bashing my head against it come thurs/fri, ill let whoever wants to try have a bash at it, since the only alternative workaround would be to create an airlock on the outside hull of the command module, and a) there's not a lot of space for that, and B) it would really ruin half the fun of the hangarbay. :)

Anyways, enough of my grumbling on that. BIG update coming nearer the weekend, folks!

Loving the customization you're introducing into this phase, looks very promising.

Hopefully you can figure out the airlock issue, I am not good when it comes to that stuff, so good luck! An exterior hatch would always be nice, but if its gonna mucky up the aesthetic, we can work around it!

This looks so amazing, I cannot wait. You are doing a fantastic job with this.

I have one comment/question/suggestion. This is going to require KSP Interstellar (obviously) and the main proplusions systems will be the alcubierre drive and a quantum vacuum plasma thruster, both reactionless drives. Wouldn't it also make sense to have a reactionless (qvp thruster-based, I'd imagine) RCS system? Is there any plan for that? (Or does KSPI already have that somewhere?)

Also, I thought the little fore + aft prongs between the upper and lower trustess (on the original concept images) looked like RCS nozzles--Will this have integrated RCS, maybe?

If all else fails with that hatch, there is one more thing you could do. Granting the fact that it won't fix the lack of immersion, for the sake of actually having a way of bringing your kerbals outside the craft after launch, you could model a customization module to house a secondary hatch. However, I had an interesting idea while writing that last comment. A while back there was a mod created which allowed you to give the command seat an internal kerbal assignment slot in the VAB, which would then eject the kerbal and automatically strap him into the seat upon loading the craft into the simulation (aka. launch craft button). While this is not a quick fix as it stands for this problem, it could serve as inspiration for a possible work-around here.

My idea is this:

You want to grab a kerbal and stick it inside the docking bay if your craft.

1. Transfer kerbal from the command module to the metaphysical (aka. invisible) command seat.
  2. Right click on a part that appears to have no use other than to look awesome.
  3. Click on the option presented that will say something like "cycle airlock."
  4. Plugin takes over the process of ejecting the kerbal from the metaphysical space to the real space, and then strapping him into a specialty-modeled command seat which will look like the docking-bay's hatch door, and feature the kerbal appearing to be holding into the door (maybe, more liekyl he will appear to be sitting in the air, which is okay considering this is a gravity-free zone here.)
  5. The position that the "command seat" places the strapped-in kerbal is now located outside of the "obstruction" that is causing the problem in the first place. You can now eject the kerbal from the "command seat" and he/she will pop back into controllable existence just a few feet away from the chair with only some minor issues with possibly getting his helmet fused with the side of the docking bay and having contortionist-styled seizures before ripping a hole in space-time and ending our suffering once and for all. Not a good chance... of ripping a hole in space-time anyway. The seizures... well, that's a problem for another day.

An important disclaimer exists in the signature area. Also, if this route were to be attempted by someone with any clue how to code this sort of thing, it could delay this project by... well... a lot. That could really suck, so... if you decide to take that route the rest of the community might try to kill me. I'm okay with that. Just try to give them something to chew around with so it doesn't come to that.

Okay, now I'm getting paranoid. Gah!

Funny you mention that ABZB, i made the Main Hull Reactor have a 1 person crew capacity for an engineer. Pondering whether (or if i even can) make it a requirement in order to use the reactor.

But anway! Ive run out of time folks, i was hoping to post the beta today, but i have to head out for the evening, so ill post it tomorrow (sun). Which is probably for the best, since i still wanted to make 1 or 2 tweaks to the CFG files.

What will be in the beta will be

- Command Module

- Warp Ring

- Main Hull (antimatter reactor)

- Warp Ring Generator (more on why tomorrow)

- Quantum Vacuum Engine.

Im going to be leaving the crew/science modules and the science end caps for 2nd beta, since those still need a bit of work.

For now, feast your eyes on a fully armed and operational IXS Class!........

Well you certainly rocked that. I'm not a KSPI user but, I might be adding it to my game for this. I'm also going to see if I can repurpose things via ModuleManager for use without KSPI. The ship looks fantastic and is setup very nicely for customization. The command module's hangar is just a gem, well done, and I'm glad you found a way to make it work - seemingly exactly like you intended it. Looking forward to first beta! :)

Funny you mention that ABZB, i made the Main Hull Reactor have a 1 person crew capacity for an engineer. Pondering whether (or if i even can) make it a requirement in order to use the reactor.

But anway! Ive run out of time folks, i was hoping to post the beta today, but i have to head out for the evening, so ill post it tomorrow (sun). Which is probably for the best, since i still wanted to make 1 or 2 tweaks to the CFG files.

- Command Module

- Warp Ring

- Quantum Vacuum Engine.

Im going to be leaving the crew/science modules and the science end caps for 2nd beta, since those still need a bit of work.

That's really cool. Wish the KSP engine was more suited to this type of thing.

- Command Module

- Warp Ring

- Quantum Vacuum Engine.

That is awesome.

Also, as far as the engineer idea goes, you could probably adapt the code from the stock science lab. The lab requires two kerbals to work, so I imagine you can use the same method to require a kerbal for the reactor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.