Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Here is the persist file from my game, ~200t maximum limit plz (i deployed 200t total for ships). if you go a little bit over thats ok, but try to keep it near what i have.

http://www./download/emnvqvwm1x6yb1r/NavalBattleKerbinSOI.sfs

4 ships, 2 around mun, 2 around kerbin, so please stick to within kerbin SOI. Thatll make fuel actually matter somewhat but since kerbin doesnt exactly take incredible amounts of fuel it shouldnt devolve into a every ship runs out of fuel issue. Spawn anywhere you like that is at least 100000km away from any one of my ships so that you dont just get a free kill and have to actually maneuver to intercept.

Also, all of these ships are 100% experimental, and ive outfit them with primarily weak ammo for use against lighter armor. Also, this is my 1st turn based battle, so if i do/did something wrong please correct me.

And here are a few pictures of the actual ships im deploying. They have so-so armor, able to at least bounce some weaker weapons, and they have some redundancy too.

http://i.imgur.com/62NnJOI.png

http://i.imgur.com/Nv91fvT.png

http://i.imgur.com/roL3ude.png

Finally, i also deployed a repair drone as well, this is not a combat unit but is just there IF i need to fix one of my ships in the later game (if support ships that arent intended for direct combat arent allowed feel free to delete it, although it weighs less then 2 tons, so its really insignificant).

And finally, please keep debris to at LEAST 1000, this is because stuff liek shot off fuel tanks, ect can actually come in handy

Sounds like someone likes fried computer xD

Sounds like someone likes fried computer xD

Hey these things aint all that high part count......

I mean they do have rather high part count weapons (its like 7 parts for each drone, ok with like 8 of em per ship), and 6 per each Ibeam missile. This isnt exactly crazy high. The max part count of any corvette ive made is ~350, which is high, but not insanely high.

The ships i deployed are around 200 parts each, nothing id consider fried computer levels.....

peronally the maximum im willing to habve is 1000 parts total active at any one time. Thsi means 2 500 part ships absolute maximum, although i do prefer less parts if given the option. Its just impossible to make a well armored ship thats below 200ish parts, it just cant be done.....

Also, with 1.0 about to get released, lets hold off on this until then, capital ships will most likely still work fine, and well i see no reason to bother with 0.90 as im pretty much instaswitching, given how much coolness 1.0 has.

Im so excited to make a new Tri-Fighter, probably the Tri-Fighter V, my new SSTO interceptor that i will get to laythe somehow without cheating/abusing anything and return to kerbin with no ISRU.

Edited by panzer1b

One thing I just realized: In 1.0, surface weapons are going to be MUCH faster, and will likely function a lot more similarly to space combat-type weapons, as the new aero will allow them to go as fast as their engines allow before either hitting the target or overheating due to aerodynamic stress and disintegrating. While this is going to limit missile speeds (as the faster you go, the more likelihood your shot will vaporize), it also means HEAT-type i-beams (where a cubic strut overheats in the back, and the blast force doubles/triples the acceleration of the missile) will have much shorter flight times. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! I remember that, and I also see my old tri-wing starfighter (it was the D-13, I think?). :P

One thing I just realized: In 1.0, surface weapons are going to be MUCH faster, and will likely function a lot more similarly to space combat-type weapons, as the new aero will allow them to go as fast as their engines allow before either hitting the target or overheating due to aerodynamic stress and disintegrating. While this is going to limit missile speeds (as the faster you go, the more likelihood your shot will vaporize), it also means HEAT-type i-beams (where a cubic strut overheats in the back, and the blast force doubles/triples the acceleration of the missile) will have much shorter flight times. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! I remember that, and I also see my old tri-wing starfighter (it was the D-13, I think?). :P

Im worried that tabks are gonna have to deal with phased ammo just as much as capital ships now, given that anything above 200-300m/s counts as phased and will basically bypass armor to a certain degree. Guess light weakly armored tanks that are lightweight with very powerful cannons are gonna rule the ground, given that armor becomes less and less useful with recent wepon advances.

A pic of a prototype ship, one that will likely never see the light of day due to 1.0...

k3yYyXI.png

(It was a lightly armed personnel carrier/transport, meant for logistics)

Also, this SSTO fighter will probably be rebuilt fully for the new aero:

xh1Y8Xr.png

Yes, the supersonic effects are in stock .90 aero, due to a RAPIER-turbojet hybrid engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Im worried that tabks are gonna have to deal with phased ammo just as much as capital ships now, given that anything above 200-300m/s counts as phased and will basically bypass armor to a certain degree. Guess light weakly armored tanks that are lightweight with very powerful cannons are gonna rule the ground, given that armor becomes less and less useful with recent wepon advances.

Perhaps, but I'm probably just going to check once or twice to make sure my existing tanks work in 1.0, then upgrade them over time. After all, if I really wanted to obliterate for the sake of obliterating, then I'd just make a giant tank (allowing for empty space between armor layers) with little to no crew or external guns, and instead have a bunch of VLS-style cruise missile cells in the frame.

A pic of a prototype ship, one that will likely never see the light of day due to 1.0...

http://i.imgur.com/k3yYyXI.png

(It was a lightly armed personnel carrier/transport, meant for logistics)

Also, this SSTO fighter will probably be rebuilt fully for the new aero:

http://i.imgur.com/xh1Y8Xr.png

Yes, the supersonic effects are in stock .90 aero, due to a RAPIER-turbojet hybrid engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps, but I'm probably just going to check once or twice to make sure my existing tanks work in 1.0, then upgrade them over time. After all, if I really wanted to obliterate for the sake of obliterating, then I'd just make a giant tank (allowing for empty space between armor layers) with little to no crew or external guns, and instead have a bunch of VLS-style cruise missile cells in the frame.

im gonna need to update my entire atmospheric fighter group, and its not looking pretty for SSTOs, given that with the new nerfs to both rapiers and turbojets, getting to orbit with ion+jet combos is gonna be tough to say the least. Hopefully teh new jets will at a minimum get me to a high enough altitude where 0.3 ion TWR is enough to blast into orbit (and unless massless batteries become massed, ill have more then enough power to pull it off in the battery banks). It looks like jets might also use more fuel, but ill have to see. Sofar everything looks bad for ultra-light SSTOs, as in sub 10t SSTOs with over 6k dV types of craft. At least we get that new xenon tanks which HOPEFULLY will aleviate some of teh part count issues with ion drives.

I plan on returning to the realm of naval (spatial?) warfare for 1.0; sadly, all of my extant designs are A: Rather old; and B: Far above part-count limitations proposed. Besides, they will likely be partially broken by the new update anyway, so it will take me some time to prepare an operational fleet.

I plan on returning to the realm of naval (spatial?) warfare for 1.0; sadly, all of my extant designs are A: Rather old; and B: Far above part-count limitations proposed. Besides, they will likely be partially broken by the new update anyway, so it will take me some time to prepare an operational fleet.

The main 2 limits to EVERY single capital ship is part count and extremely overpowered weapon designs. basically there are weapons that can phase through and bypass all but the thickest armor, and you aint gonna make any thick armor without going into absurd part count territory. 1.0 might add new ideas and methods of doing stuff, but even that i doubt will change the root issues most of us advanced military designers have come across, part counts.

I myself design every ship with the absolute minimum parts i need to achieve the armor i want. My newest corvette class ships are from 150-350 parts, which isnt exactly crazy high, but neither is it low, and while they have armor, it isnt exactly equal to some of the 600+ part craft that seem to be popular among the super serious players.

That said, once 1.0 hits, im gonna work on some fighters that should HOPEFULLY be low part count and capable of stuff like 6000dV, all while remaining light (my last shot at a 0.90 SSTO gave me 5.5K dV, weighs 10t, has 2 small Ibeam missiles, and can land on anything that is roughly mun gravity, as well as kerbin/laythe as it has a jet).

Ive actually found VERY FEW effective military builds that are both low part count and effective. Its actually an art to make craft that are both low part count, effective, high dV, and have armor. I have some designs that are lowish on parts, but they sacrifice armor or range, and the craft that have armor and or heavy firepowe,r sadly pay for it with mass/part counts.

Funny thing is, some of my ships I don't mind having a high part count, since lag is almost like a defense system on its own. :P

I kid, I kid. In any case, I'll be building again once 1.0 rolls out for my region.

Ive actually found that increased lag increases the lethality of phased ammo in general (i cant explain why but it does). Like in DMP servers, lethality goes thru the roof even for weaker weapons, im guessing either due to the latency or the lagginess and slower physics calcs.

So actually having a laggy ship doesnt make it less vulnurable, just harder to accurately target weakspots on (but if you manage a solid hit it tends to take more dmg).

http://www.filedropper.com/persistent

Due to this "Phony War" I just decided to move myself.

I deployed a Flame Tank and attempted to launch I high powered missile, but the damned RCS ports wouldn't fire .O.

Went the old fashioned way and gave several flameblasts to knock around your tanks.

k6pggp5.png

QTQPCp9.png

I didn't notice any flipping equipment on your tanks so I think you are done script.

Next player is squid.

http://www.filedropper.com/persistent

Due to this "Phony War" I just decided to move myself.

I deployed a Flame Tank and attempted to launch I high powered missile, but the damned RCS ports wouldn't fire .O.

Went the old fashioned way and gave several flameblasts to knock around your tanks.

http://i.imgur.com/k6pggp5.png

http://i.imgur.com/QTQPCp9.png

I didn't notice any flipping equipment on your tanks so I think you are done script.

Next player is squid.

I think this battle (especially with the advent of 1.0) is fairly dead. Also, even if it does work out, each person only moves one tank per turn, and attacks only one other tank per turn.

Just downloaded 1.0 and tested some weapons. The cannons I used on my Maverick previously had a range of about 730m. Now wit hthe new aero model, they have a range of well over 7km!

fDrLrx4.pngThe Maverick ready for testing.

gz6WDBK.jpgBarely a few seconds after firing, the round accelerates to well over Mach 2.

qWwUTqX.pngIt lands off-shore, about 7.8km away from the KSC. Impressive, though I imagine this will make battles much more difficult.

Speaking of battles, should I take my turn for the tank battle in version 0.90 or version 1.0?

Everything needs to be rebuild from scratch right now with the exception of tanks.

Aircraft have massively changed, and even capital ships need to bedesigned to take advantage of new LF only nukes, and some changed in weapon behavior.

BDA has gotten even deadlier now, since stuff seems to be hotter to start out with, and the heating effect the weapons give is WAY more effective then it was before, although ist not exactly OP at all though.

At last we were provided a large xenon tank...The thrusters themselves remain small, however, which I find annoying, as the problem is only half-remedied: Ion engines themselves are largely responsible for massive part counts, and this has not been addressed. The potential applications of fuel cells also seem promising, as does the use of fairings in armor/improving the aesthetics of combat vessels. So much new tech to use...I must explore further!

Just downloaded 1.0 and tested some weapons. The cannons I used on my Maverick previously had a range of about 730m. Now wit hthe new aero model, they have a range of well over 7km!

http://i.imgur.com/fDrLrx4.pngThe Maverick ready for testing.

http://i.imgur.com/gz6WDBK.jpgBarely a few seconds after firing, the round accelerates to well over Mach 2.

http://i.imgur.com/qWwUTqX.pngIt lands off-shore, about 7.8km away from the KSC. Impressive, though I imagine this will make battles much more difficult.

Speaking of battles, should I take my turn for the tank battle in version 0.90 or version 1.0?

just do it in 1.0, I already downloaded the new 32bit version.

Has anyone noticed the absence of a loading bar in 1.0?

It just does not appear for my download, and it keeps showing the loading hints, even after an hour of leaving it alone it still doesn't load?

I see a loading bar...

Has anyone found out how to build without the LV-Ns overheating? All my warships are broken. :(

Only by keeping them away from everything else... and putting lots of attachments onto the part above them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.