Is there a possibility to change the default throttle to 0 again?

I must say, i really hate this new old feature... Forgetting to set throttle to 0 could totally ruin the launch of a spaceplane or rockets with a more complex launch staging. I liked it, how it was in the last 4 versions of KSP. A way to reset this would be nice to know.

I agree, and find it hard to imagine a situation where 50% is a desirable setting on the pad. 0% was and is a good safe option, with no harm being done if you forget to set the throttle. 100% is the only other sane option, being the most common setting needed immediately on lift off, until you reach terminal velocity. 50% just doesn't make any sense to me, as it's neither safe nor desirable in the most common cases.

In summary, since I do believe in frankness, sorry devs, but that was a really stupid change to make, it fails the smell test and should never have been done, at least not without providing a configuration option for it.

I agree, and find it hard to imagine a situation where 50% is a desirable setting on the pad. 0% was and is a good safe option, with no harm being done if you forget to set the throttle. 100% is the only other sane option, being the most common setting needed immediately on lift off, until you reach terminal velocity. 50% just doesn't make any sense to me, as it's neither safe nor desirable in the most common cases.

In summary, since I do believe in frankness, sorry devs, but that was a really stupid change to make, it fails the smell test and should never have been done, at least not without providing a configuration option for it.

Echoes my sentiments perfectly. +1

With as many of these threads about 50% throttle that pop up maybe the devs will get the hint.....

I don't understand these threads at all. I mean, you have to hit T to turn on SAS as soon as the vehicle spawns, so what's the big deal about also hitting X to zero the throttle? If the 50% default throttle is a problem for you, 1 key tap and all your problems are solved.

Seriously, SAS being off by default is IMHO a much bigger annoyance than the throttle at 50%. And I actually prefer the 50% throttle to it being at 0.

I think the 50% is an attempt to make "everyone" happy, which will most likely make nobody happy and from a dev point of view this is good because now they're not showing favoritism. Typically at launch, you either want 0% or you want 100%. It makes sense that 50% was intended to be the happy medium. I can promise you this, no matter what the default is, someone isn't going to like it.

Edited by Jean Deaux

I don't understand these threads at all. I mean, you have to hit T to turn on SAS as soon as the vehicle spawns, so what's the big deal about also hitting X to zero the throttle? If the 50% default throttle is a problem for you, 1 key tap and all your problems are solved.

Seriously, SAS being off by default is IMHO a much bigger annoyance than the throttle at 50%. And I actually prefer the 50% throttle to it being at 0.

The complaint is that it's not a sane or useful default for the most common cases, and that it replaces a well established sane default for no apparent benefit. For vertical launch, the #1 priority is to fight gravity and reach terminal velocity while maintaining directional stability, both of those normally dictate 100% throttle unless you have a crazy TWR (in which case you should probably have less engines and reclaim some dV lost to hauling engines into orbit). For horizontal takeoff, the #1 priority is to reach safe rotation speed while maintaining directional stability, which again normally means 100% throttle.

With 0% throttle, it's immediately obvious that you forgot the throttle. With 50%, it's not immediately obvious, meaning that the launch is much more likely to be garbage and need to be scrapped (unless you routinely go hauling a large margin of unnecessary fuel to orbit).

What situation is actually preferable to you at 50% for typical launches? I don't believe that it exists in normal efficient cases. If you want to make a case for there being a config option for the default state of SAS, great, there probably should be, as there should have been for this, instead of changing a reasonable default to an unreasonable default.

...And I actually prefer the 50% throttle to it being at 0.

I never saw a single complaint about it being set at 0% so have no idea why daft 50% was introduced. It's hard to believe it was done deliberately ^^.

You're the only person I remember saying you prefer 50% - can you tell use why?

Answer to the OP: It would have to be a mod, and after looking for you, I did not find one. Sorry.

Commentary on comments: It's actually kinda strange. Almost none of my rockets require 100% thrust to take off, and it would be inefficient to do so (such amaze). Also, none of my rockets can lift off at 0% throttle, which is crazy (much physics). This is mind blowing, but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction: 50% is real nice, and if I need 60 or so, I'm almost there already.

People plan missions in their head while at work, spend hours designing complex rockets and planes, assemble them in orbit through tedious but rewarding rendezvous and docking, and struggle hard against having to waste time changing a throttle setting at launch. I am playing a kerbal sized violin for you while I enjoy the throttle setting change because it saves me .2 seconds at EACH launch.

You need to hang out in Support more Pecan, we'd always be seeing threads asking why there was no flame and the rocket wouldn't launch, usually posted as bug reports.

Part of the FAQ here and elsewhere for a long time was "Press shift to throttle up" :)

You need to hang out in Support more Pecan...

Oh man, I'm so glad I don't; I've had my time as support and helper to more programmes and forums than I care to remember. Ok - now I'm educated I'll take it all back; it was a good decision based on newbie (I hope?!) feedback. I withdraw any complaints about it then, thanks.

You need to hang out in Support more Pecan, we'd always be seeing threads asking why there was no flame and the rocket wouldn't launch, usually posted as bug reports.

Part of the FAQ here and elsewhere for a long time was "Press shift to throttle up" :)

Then you put a number box in the settings that says "Default Throttle To:" You don't .... off all the experienced players in order to pander to noobs who will figure it out shortly.

I never saw a single complaint about it being set at 0% so have no idea why daft 50% was introduced. It's hard to believe it was done deliberately ^^.

Pretty much what Benaiah said. Most of my rocket launches start with the throttle at or near 50%, sometimes higher but never lower. I thus find the new setting very convenient. And if I for some reason do not want any throttle at all to start with, I just hit X and it's all gone.

So again I say, if you don't like the 50% starting throttle, just hit X and be done with it.

Then you put a number box in...

If the mod community has not done it yet (I can't find one), it's either not as important as you are making it seem (it's not) or it's harder than you are making it seem. Maybe both?

You don't .... off all the experienced players

You are not "all" the experienced players. We are not all mad, bro. It's been explained by experienced players why 50 is as good as 0 or better. More like there are some experienced whiners who are whining about no big deal.

in order to pander to noobs who will figure it out shortly.

I don't think you understand the word "pander." You meant "cater" but tried to pick a synonym that had a negative connotation. You failed. Also, making the game more accessible is not a bad thing. Double fail. Also...

You mean a noob can learn to use the throttle controls...but you can't? I'm assuming you had to adjust the throttle controls every time when they were defaulted to 0, right? Did you just only ever use solid fuel boosters? The throttle doesn't affect you then, anyways...

To anwser the questions about "why"..I am using kOS, you know the small autopilot to program by myself and I find me often in the situation that a program ends and then it "releases" all the controlls to the player again, with the default setting which is 50% throttle, which can riun your orbit..

I've actually made use of throttle settings in the 33%-50% range on launch (though not for quite some time now), generally with a craft with a fair bit of thrust from SRBs to start with. I tend not to do that anymore.

Such a minor, minor thing to complain about. If anything, starting at 50% gets me to 100% quicker.

The problem isn't starting at 50% (although that is slightly irritating and inappropriate for most launches; if you're using partial throttle at launch, you have more thrust than you need in all but a few cases), it's the fact that it can reset itself to 50% when coming out of timewarp. I've had several near-disasters due to this.

Personally I really don't care if the throttle is at 0%, 100% or anywhere in between. Its easy enough to change, shift,ctrl or x (for me, my analog throttle drops it back to 0) I just find 50% odd. I can't think of another game that starts with the throttle on, "arcade style flyers" don't count.

Like I said earlier these 50% throttle posts keep popping up and a lot of people seem to not like it. Hey maybe someone should start a poll. :D

Anyways, I really don't care where the throttle is at BUT it should be at 0%. :D

it's the fact that it can reset itself to 50% when coming out of timewarp.

The bugs involved need to be fixed, and this isn't the only one I've heard of. Have you filed a bug report in the support forums on that? Not being argumentative, just making sure someone has.

I'm fine with this change as long as the bugs are worked out, though I'd like to see "z" for full throttle be stock.

If that's the reason for this change, it's an even bigger mistake, as it will transform relatively simple to diagnose support threads into harder to diagnose threads. If someone doesn't know about throttle and there's no fire from main engines, it's very quick and easy to suspect that throttle could be the issue. If someone doesn't know about throttle and there's fire from everywhere that should be emitting fire, just far less fire than there should be, it's going to be much harder to figure out that it's throttle knowledge that's missing. Newbies will pick up stock craft which should make orbit easily and fail to do so, and they will struggle to build craft which should be easy, due to failure to properly give gravity a swift kicking.

I repeat my earlier assertion. This was a stupid change. I'll add that it's bad for newbies in particular, and annoying for many other cases.

The bugs involved need to be fixed, and this isn't the only one I've heard of. Have you filed a bug report in the support forums on that? Not being argumentative, just making sure someone has.

I'm fine with this change as long as the bugs are worked out, though I'd like to see "z" for full throttle be stock.

Not personally, but I'm sure they're aware; folks have been screaming about this all over the place since the day .24 was released.

Thoroughly endorse the idea of a full-throttle shortcut, BTW. Especially handy for spaceplaners during an aborted landing.

BTW: anyone else finding that X doesn't always totally kill throttle? Most of the time it works, but occasionally it seems to leave the throttle just a tiny bit on. Not enough for exhaust flames to be visible, but enough to mess up your orbit if you don't notice it quickly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.