Kerbodyne SSTO Division: Omnibus Thread

Stock is definitely easier in most respects, I'll say that. But yeah, with a properly area-ruled craft in FAR you might barely even notice the sound barrier, whereas in stock you basically just have to try and ram everything through it.

In my head that's always been the trade off; stock will let you fly pretty much any old crock, and land it without hassle. FAR makes you work hard to get a good design together, but ultimately has the potential to get you to orbit with significantly better efficiency. 1.0.4 vs the last release of FAR were, however, almost identical. I was getting the same plane to orbit in both, with less than 10% difference in remaining fuel, so I was having a hard time justifying the extra time in the SPH ^^;

Stock is definitely easier in most respects, I'll say that. But yeah, with a properly area-ruled craft in FAR you might barely even notice the sound barrier, whereas in stock you basically just have to try and ram everything through it.

K, that was interesting. My

SkGpFfp.jpg
for once turned out significantly higher numbers under the new dev build; 1425m/s on air and went from 360-440 delta-v in LKO up to 660. Used to have 2.8 wave drag, now it has 1.4.

Need to do more experiments to see whether that translates to other sizes... but up to 50% more fuel in orbit is a powerful lure.

• 2 weeks later...
Kerbinside has a new track...

http://i.imgur.com/I53AG5O.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Kerboracer D. Fast, easy to fly, tight turner. Just the thing for your racing needs.

http://i.imgur.com/45Y9Z97.jpg

Craft file at https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1nbc8t04ak5m7i/Kerboracer%20D.craft?dl=0

I love the look of that one, but it could do with a smaller intake, it wont need as much air because it wont go as high.

I love the look of that one, but it could do with a smaller intake, it wont need as much air because it wont go as high.

Previously, I would have gone with a pointy cockpit and smaller intake. But with the new intake flow-through drag reduction...

I've been messing around with some heavy rocketry...

Lander and a lab to pretty much anywhere and back isn't bad :) But I feel like a long MK3 could do the same job, given an in-orbit refuel ;)

Really need to invest in aerodynamic parts in my latest career, but it's hard to justify vs unlocking more science instruments and scanners to put on long range probes... x(

To be honest, that one could probably manage without the RATO. But it is a handy trick for bigger things, and easier than you'd think.

Monoprop landers are heavy, but very compact. They're a good choice for weight-tolerant but space-limited applications like this.

That whole aircraft gives me a case of the WHYs

:)

1) Because it was there.

2) How else are you going to get ~9,000m/s ÃŽâ€V and tolerable TWR out of a crewed reentry-capable craft not much bigger than an F-16?

But, yeah, there isn't a whole lot of practical application for it in standard career KSP. All the complexity of an SSTO minus the financial efficiency. Disposable rockets are cheaper than disposable jets.

That's... Actually a surprisingly good idea.

Like crazy genius kind of good

Unfortunately, while it has the size of a fighter jet, it also has the cost of a fighter jet. Big dumb rockets are cheaper by a hefty margin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.