[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Have the triple adapter for the honey badger size been removed? i cant seem to find them... (for reference im talking about the think that looks like the honey badger radial outrigger on each side but all as one part.

Edited by Viscosity
spell check

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

That part is long gone - I deprecated that probably a year ago or so

ah ok, np

ps: i love your work dude

i have been looking for this mod for about as long as Ive had ksp (used to watch kotobos before i had a computer) i recently came up on this mod again and was soooo excited to find it!

keep up the good work and i cant wait to see your future endeavors into the great black beyond!

I love the Starlifter parts for handling large hauls. As some humble ideas to improve on some design conundrums I encountered , I'd suggest revising the lateral cargo adapter for holding bigger payloads. The 3.75m MKS parts don't fit inside the berths properly. Another possibility would be "open" cargo adapters which consist solely of the attaching rings of the default cargo adapter, for packing of arbitrarily long payloads when the payload is a tad too big. Also maybe a central node on the quad adapters to allow for a central 2.5m truss connection.

16 hours ago, RoverDude said:

@Djohaal - draw me pictures so I can visualize it :)

Spoiler

vJW5yhD.png?1 -

Situation 1 - some very sad 3.75 modules that can't be berthed properly for interplanetary delivery. Radius leads to self intersection and other headaches when attaching this stuff for long-term delivery. Even worse if there are modules appended to the 3.75 units. 

Spoiler

wktaPeF.png?1

Situation 2 - the attach nodes on the lateral adapter only face inwards. maybe adding another group of nodes which face outwards would improve flexibiltiy. This job is easy enough to do myself on the cfgs, but I thought I'd share the concept. :wink:

Spoiler

g5mxDbL.png?1 TeZBTB1.png?1

Situation 3 - long payloads also don't fit laterally on the adapter. as a suggestion a free-standing lateral adapter which only has one of the holding brackets (outlined in yellow) for arbitrarily long payloads.

Spoiler

cyp4GlD.png?1

And last but not least, situation 5  4, a attach node in the middle of the 4-adapters on both size factors. Also quick and easy to edit on a cfg, but why not suggest.  maybe to match with it a 2.5m form factor truss. Helps when you have to taper out your vessel but want to taper back in. 

Again I thank your inestimable contributions to KSP. 

Edited by Djohaal

@RoverDude  this is my first time using this mod so im sorry for the stupid question.....can you please help me understand  why the Atlas Fan ..or actually all the lifter Fan engines suck up so much electricity ...what i mean is that i know they run on atmo air and electricity  but these thing just suck up power before i can produce enough....what do i have to do to keep the power lever stable so the engines can run on demand. Thanks for your time..and thanks for this Mod  Very fun, i discovering whole new possibilities. 

Would we be able to get a LqdHydrogen/Oxidizer 15/1 configuration for the cryo tanks? For lox augmented nukes and cryogenic engines?

And speaking of the fans, you probably already know about this, but the micro fan uses around 20ec/s, much more than even the atlas.

yes  i do have the reactor installed 1.25 short..im not sure which one is specific to these fans but still eating up all power.  Anything else i should put on ?

It might be the fan's RCS thrusters? With two atlas fans, the ec use goes from ~15 up to about 75 ec/s when the RCS thrusters are active

Edited by Rodger

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

It might be the fan's RCS thrusters?

Ya i tried that  ..still eating up all the energy.....one thing that i dont get is why would an Atmospheric lifter fan need a reactor to power it. I mean i get that its electric and all, its asking for too much power just to lift something in atmo..i would understand if it was in very dense Atmo or some crazy planet with 5 times the gravity of Kerbin. BTW  what im trying to do with these parts is build a Bell X-22 .....So you can understand why im said this...maybe Rover Dude didnt intend for these parts to be used in the manner i am using them for.  

1 hour ago, mechanicH said:

yes  i do have the reactor installed 1.25 short..im not sure which one is specific to these fans but still eating up all power.  Anything else i should put on ?

For an Atlas... you need a LOT bigger reactor.

11 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

Ya i tried that  ..still eating up all the energy.....one thing that i dont get is why would an Atmospheric lifter fan need a reactor to power it. I mean i get that its electric and all, its asking for too much power just to lift something in atmo..i would understand if it was in very dense Atmo or some crazy planet with 5 times the gravity of Kerbin. BTW  what im trying to do with these parts is build a Bell X-22 .....So you can understand why im said this...maybe Rover Dude didnt intend for these parts to be used in the manner i am using them for.  

Show us your craft.  Because you are probably using a fan that's too big.  

• 2 weeks later...

Also speaking of the fans, they seem to cause a very nasty conflict with MechJeb where the console will fill with the following error before causing an access violation and crashing after a couple of minutes every time.

Spoiler

[MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Should this issue be one for @RoverDude or @sarbian?

9 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Also speaking of the fans, they seem to cause a very nasty conflict with MechJeb where the console will fill with the following error before causing an access violation and crashing after a couple of minutes every time.

Should this issue be one for @RoverDude or @sarbian?

Both. I guess FTT does not set min/maxFuelFlow properly and I need to handle this better (I m quite sure I already added a fix but who knows...)

An easy way to dupe this ?

1 hour ago, sarbian said:

Both. I guess FTT does not set min/maxFuelFlow properly and I need to handle this better (I m quite sure I already added a fix but who knows...)

An easy way to dupe this ?

Just make any old craft with a fan engine (radial or the Honeybadger inline) attached and wait for the crash. It will crash in the VAB as well as in flight, most often when entering either scene.

Edited by voicey99

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Munar pilot said:

@roverdude There is an issue with your catalog page, I try to click it, and github tells me the page doesnt exist.

also been getting this for at least a day or two. its fine if you go direct to the mod page but the catalog dosnt work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.