[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Hi Roverdude,

I am not sure which USI pack is adding them, but the KIS Kontainers are unbalanced in weight compared to the default KIS containers. E.g. the ILC-18k default KIS container has 18k volume for 1.5t. The 2.5m KIS Kontainer stores 20k but for 3.2t. One balancing feature is crash tolerance, at 45m/s for the USI Kontainers vs. 6m/s for KIS but that doesn't seem to sufficiently make up for the difference, except in some fairly niche scenarios of parachute assisted landing for very heavy Kontainers (useful for shipping Minerals back to Kerbin (3.5t is a fine mass ratio to comfortably land a 50t payload!!), definitely, but KIS - not so much).

37 minutes ago, CorBlimey said:

Hi Roverdude,

I am not sure which USI pack is adding them, but the KIS Kontainers are unbalanced in weight compared to the default KIS containers. E.g. the ILC-18k default KIS container has 18k volume for 1.5t. The 2.5m KIS Kontainer stores 20k but for 3.2t. One balancing feature is crash tolerance, at 45m/s for the USI Kontainers vs. 6m/s for KIS but that doesn't seem to sufficiently make up for the difference, except in some fairly niche scenarios of parachute assisted landing for very heavy Kontainers (useful for shipping Minerals back to Kerbin (3.5t is a fine mass ratio to comfortably land a 50t payload!!), definitely, but KIS - not so much).

a 7.5x better crash tolerance for only a rough doubling in weight seems ok with me.

You haven't seen Rover land these containers have you :D.

If I am delivering critical UKS base components for onsite assembly i want to ensure they land without breaking.

On 21/11/2015, 5:01:21, asgkatz said:

It's the 'Honeybadger' fan engine. Haven't been in game so not sure of exact number but it's really low.

Yeah, aka FTT_Engine_375_02 has a thrust of 15. It's the same mass as the plain large ducted fan, so I just set it to the same thrust as that (350), but I haven't tested it yet...

I've downloaded your Core Pack and this mod. While the Core Pack has it's textures, this mod is missing them. And before you say "You put them in the wrong place/don't use CKAN/mod conflict" I've looked at every possible reason why this happens to your mod only and the only allows textures on the core pack to load and not anything else. I went through my log file with a fine tooth comb and it doesn't say why the textures are not being loaded, nor what's causing them not to load. All it reads out is this: FTT Texture Load Errors or if you'd like to see my ksp log file, I will gladly send it your way to solve this problem on what's causing only your textures on these mods not to load. Because I'm sure not seeing it in the log file on this issue. If there is a mod conflict, what mod in particular is making the other mods, besides the core pack, in your collection not to show textures?

33 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

I've downloaded your Core Pack and this mod. While the Core Pack has it's textures, this mod is missing them. And before you say "You put them in the wrong place/don't use CKAN/mod conflict" I've looked at every possible reason why this happens to your mod only and the only allows textures on the core pack to load and not anything else. I went through my log file with a fine tooth comb and it doesn't say why the textures are not being loaded, nor what's causing them not to load. All it reads out is this: FTT Texture Load Errors or if you'd like to see my ksp log file, I will gladly send it your way to solve this problem on what's causing only your textures on these mods not to load. Because I'm sure not seeing it in the log file on this issue. If there is a mod conflict, what mod in particular is making the other mods, besides the core pack, in your collection not to show textures?

Except we will say install error or mod conflict because the textures load fine (at least for me).  Everything in that file specifies "not Found!" for the textures so something isn't right with your install.  standard gamedata folder screenshots/modlist etc would help.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Except we will say install error or mod conflict because the textures load fine (at least for me).  Everything in that file specifies "not Found!" for the textures so something isn't right with your install.  standard gamedata folder screenshots/modlist etc would help.

Well, I did a debug of the mods I have and took them all out and methodically added them back one at a time, but it didn't take long to discover that ATM was causing the texture problems. Even setting the USI cfg file to false didn't solve the issue. So, I took it out completely and all the textures issues were fixed. I don't know why ATM would all of the sudden cancel out the textures to this series of mods when it hasn't given me problems before. So, I guess if I want to use this, ATM is out of the picture or is there a work around? 

I've not used this mod in a while (been playing stock), but getting back into mods again and this mod add some really sweet parts! 

Got one Q though; when I last used it the ducted fans had a hover mode which was insanely useful.  Has that been taken out because I can't see the option for it?  Or do I need to get something else to manage automatic hovering (like throttle controlled avionic?)

11 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

Well, I did a debug of the mods I have and took them all out and methodically added them back one at a time, but it didn't take long to discover that ATM was causing the texture problems. Even setting the USI cfg file to false didn't solve the issue. So, I took it out completely and all the textures issues were fixed. I don't know why ATM would all of the sudden cancel out the textures to this series of mods when it hasn't given me problems before. So, I guess if I want to use this, ATM is out of the picture or is there a work around? 

i thought atm was largely obsolete with the more optimized textures these days.

27 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

i thought atm was largely obsolete with the more optimized textures these days.

Well, the textures aren't that much optimized and I find it just makes things run a lot smoother since I don't have a very high end system to begin with. I will be getting a new graphics card soon, but until then, ATM saves me the headache. I figured out why ATM wasn't doing it's job and just clipping the textures off the models. The cache folders were mysteriously locked for USI Tools and USI main folder so the textures were not getting processed, but for only the mods I had in there, which happened to be the core pack mod. I don't know how that happened, but in linux, it's troublesome to say the least. So, I unlocked them and deleted them both so that ATM can catch them and it seems to be working. So, it wouldn't of mattered what I would of put up to clarify what was going on, no one would of caught that, except for me on the user end. Sorry for all the blubbering. I get frustrated when I hand pick every mod and install them just to make sure there isn't any compatibility problems, but forget to check OS malfunctions. But thanks anyway!

So if anyone is using linux, using ATM and finding that you're not loading textures, this will solve the problem. 

Edited by lynwoodm
added more information

Yeah, Rover, it was little you could of done to help me on this one. I just had to get into debug mode and flowchart it. Haven't done that in a while, but I can get there if properly motivated (or ticked off). BTW, Love this mod and the command modules. Do you think the ASET version of the Mk 1-2 pod would break anything?

55 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

Yeah, Rover, it was little you could of done to help me on this one. I just had to get into debug mode and flowchart it. Haven't done that in a while, but I can get there if properly motivated (or ticked off). BTW, Love this mod and the command modules. Do you think the ASET version of the Mk 1-2 pod would break anything?

I haven't recently but I have used the ASET command pod in the past and it was fine.

40 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I haven't recently but I have used the ASET command pod in the past and it was fine.

Well, it'll be the ASET IVA, not the pod itself. While thumbing through the log file I see that the FTT pods use a stock version of the Mk 1-2 IVA. Just a matter of making a MM file to tell it to link the aset iva to the honeybager or starliner pods since they both use the same one. 

13 minutes ago, lynwoodm said:

Well, it'll be the ASET IVA, not the pod itself. While thumbing through the log file I see that the FTT pods use a stock version of the Mk 1-2 IVA. Just a matter of making a MM file to tell it to link the aset iva to the honeybager or starliner pods since they both use the same one. 

Hmm never thought of that.  The ASET IVA is amazing.

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Hmm never thought of that.  The ASET IVA is amazing.

I put that IVA in most of my 3 man pods with similar looking exteriors. Just makes it a little more real and it still works, but as I said, just a thought.. might do it just because i like the layout of the 3 man aset pod iva. I just got Rover's mods to work, I don't want to go messing around with it too much lol..

15 hours ago, lynwoodm said:

any chance of you sharing the mm patch when you've done it?

I seem to be having a hard time getting the atmo engines to generate any lift..  I made a testbed with just the Badger cockpit, a reactor, an RCS/torque control module, and then up to /eight/ of those electric VTOL atmo-running engines.  Didn't even budge it off the ground.

On 08/12/2015, 08:45:36, Domfluff said:

I've recently become partial to chucking the things out of moving rockets, covered in airbags, and driving out in a Karibou to unpack them/drag them to where they need to be. The crash tolerance is pretty handy :)

heh cool. I like the idea.

My issue was only for the KIS ones as their contents are normally pretty light compared to volume, therefore the added weight of the Kontainer is comparatively high compared to say, 100 tonnes of minerals, where the Kontainer mass is irrelevant.

But I understand everyone elses points :)

5 hours ago, CorBlimey said:

heh cool. I like the idea.

My issue was only for the KIS ones as their contents are normally pretty light compared to volume, therefore the added weight of the Kontainer is comparatively high compared to say, 100 tonnes of minerals, where the Kontainer mass is irrelevant.

But I understand everyone elses points :)

I could spin that back to say that while the parts in a KIS container are not generally as dense for their volume, they are generally items that are far more fragile than say, a kontainer of fertilizer.  Items that you don't want broken in shipping so you can assemble at the other end.  Those items need a strong kontainer to protect them from rough landings.

Seems like the shared assets in FTT_0.4.3.0 are out of date compared to what is in ExpPack_0.4.3.0, SpaceY_Expanded-1.0, Karibou_0.1.1.0, SrvPack_0.3.3.0.  I caught it because I version control the KSP directory after each mod install, and adding FTT changed more then just adding UmbralSpaceIndustries/FTT.  All of the others mentioned installed cleanly with no unexpected changes (since I already have recent versions of the main MKS/OKS addons).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.