[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

15 minutes ago, Joshnie said:

Would it be possible to add a kontainer that fits better to the cargo racks? The 5m ones cause issues without excessive amounts of strutting and the 3.5m ones leave gaps.

I would guess that instead the racks will get reworked.  The kontainers that did fit the racks were retired long ago.

On 9/30/2016 at 6:01 PM, Somtaaw said:

Really wanted to avoid going to modded parts, but when I made a stock mk3 VTOL spaceplane challenge, there was a real underwhelming response, so it appears I shall have to go to mods to get the VTOL spaceplane designs I want.

I do however, have a question where if the answer is negative, it turns into a request. Is there, or will there be, a passenger module? It looks damn near identical to the old Space: 1999 Eagle transporters, but those had passenger, freight, and military variants. The HB seems to be purely freight, and I'm looking to design something loosely resembling the HB, or Eagle transporters, be capable of VTOL flight and moving upwards of 20 Kerbals in a single flight. Preferably with enough VTOL to handle Duna, Dres, Moho and maybe even Laythe.

The other question would be just how many of the USI mods would I have to install to get the Honeybadger to work properly? Looks like I may have to start using Karbonite again, and possibly others, or would the FTT pack alone be functional?

I have been playing around with VTOL SSTO's, its a PITA.  You have to use the Honeybadger inlines or slap the ducted fans to the side of a plane which adds insane drag.  The mass to weight is pretty low since you have to drag all the extra weight of the fans around.  So far I have had no luck with large craft and VTOL on Duna.  The fans don't even spin up above 4Km, so a large portion of Duna is not flyable.  You also get very low thrust on Duna since the atmo is so thin(I saw 80kn from the largest ducted fan before my craft smashed into Duna's surface at about 200ms) [and that was in a valley]. 

IIRC you should only need to install everything that is with the FTT pack, I believe it is standalone.

edit..

Quick test showed 22Kn at 2Km with the honeybadger inline fan on Duna.

Edited by Donziboy2

Heya @RoverDude,

I adore the Honeybadger! But it could use a little love sometime when you get the chance. Specifically:

The landing legs do not appear in the new "Ground" group, nor do they automatically map to the Gear action group, or start deployed by default.

Edit: The landing legs also don't adjust their feet to align with the ground on touchdown (probably owing to the landing feet changes made for 1.2). In addition, they have something strange going on with their friction. I'm currently sliding down about a 5° slope on the Mun, at a steady 0.1 m/s. If I stop with RCS, it accelerates right back to 0.1. If I accelerate with RCS, it swiftly decelerates via friction... but only down to 0.1 m/s. It won't get rid of that last little bit of slip and come to a halt.

http://i.imgur.com/FmePxuH.png

The propfan's attach nodes are slightly mispositioned (by like, 2 pixels), so that there's a small gap showing in between them and some parts they attach to (such as themselves, or the outrigger). Other parts seem to overflow their own bounds a bit (like the endcap) so don't have this issue.

I'd also love it if the outrigger could include fuel crossfeed (perhaps as an option). Most stock parts seem to have that option anymore, especially with the new fuel management system.

I've wished a couple of times for a Liquid Fuel only setting for the Cargo Pod and Jumbo. You have LFO, but for Nukes and jet engines, it'd be nice to be able to do all Liquid Fuel. (Yes, I recently tried to build a Honeybadger SSTO. It was glorious! But sadly capped out at about Mach 0.7. D: It did fly however, and at a beastly and majestic 472 tons! XDD )

A Honeybadger form factor Karbonite converter would also be amazing, as would adapters to go from Honeybadger to 3.75 and/or 2.5. Yes, you can stick a 3.75 on it, and it's about the same size, but it has an ugly lip around it, and I like mah ships sleek and beautimus! XD

Finally, any chance of getting a rover cargo container that opens at both sides and deploys rover ramps, kind of like the Karibou has? The Honeybadger is a much better size for carrying a rover, yet there's not really any place to put one that it can actually escape from (and get back into later).

Oh, and while I was making this screenshot I also remembered one other thing...

The Honeybadger's ducted fan lift engines, and the Atlas and other ducted fans included in the USI suite, are only producing sound in the right channel for me for some reason, though that one could just be me.

QMrvYap.png

Edited by FirroSeranel

Hey @RoverDude,

Amazing mod as always.

I've made a pull request on Github for updating the Community Tech Tree patch for these parts, since the 'Orca' does not show up in the .cfg file (it is still the old command module).

I took advantage of the situation and I've also rebalanced and reorganized the parts trough the whole CTT so they don't show up on the Rocketry Branch (That really doesn't make much sense IMO).

Cheers :D

@RoverDude, on your survey about the engines, you didn't give an option for the Propfan being underpowered. I'd like to cast a vote for that. I could stand to see them just about doubled, to make them useful for hefting a Honeybadger with nuclear reactor off the ground. I can make one with them as-is, but it means making the ship something like 2/3 propfan. It quickly becomes much more efficient to use the Atlas propfans instead, and even those can have difficulty with some heavier Honeybadger designs.

5 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

@RoverDude, on your survey about the engines, you didn't give an option for the Propfan being underpowered. I'd like to cast a vote for that. I could stand to see them just about doubled, to make them useful for hefting a Honeybadger with nuclear reactor off the ground. I can make one with them as-is, but it means making the ship something like 2/3 propfan. It quickly becomes much more efficient to use the Atlas propfans instead, and even those can have difficulty with some heavier Honeybadger designs.

That and the engines should pull more power then what they do.  I would like to see them work at lower atmo pressures then they currently do also.

10 hours ago, Donziboy2 said:

That and the engines should pull more power then what they do.  I would like to see them work at lower atmo pressures then they currently do also.

Yeah, I agree with that, too. A lot more. They say in the description that a nuclear reactor is highly recommended, yet even a 200 ton Honeybadger with 16 propfans was pulling a grand total of about 4 EC per second, enough that I did a half-hour flight without realizing I hadn't even turned the reactor on yet.

14 minutes ago, Baladain said:

@FirroSeranel Any chance you could share that craft file?  That looks amazing.

Sure, if you'd like, though you'll need Shuttle Lifting Body as well as Mk3 Stockalike Expansion and Tweakscale to load it. And like I said, it's far from making it to orbit, and tops out at airliner cruising speed, so the rocket engines are pretty well useless.

Oh, also DMagic's Flexible Docking Ports, I think. And most if not all of RoverDude's mods of course.

But here you go.

Honeybadger SSTO (WIP)

I was just playing around in sandbox for that, so I didn't continue development. If I were to take it forward from there, I suspect the Atlas engines are causing the bulk of the drag that's preventing acceleration through the sound barrier, so I'd probably try replacing them with a couple of Goliaths maybe. I have a feeling that if it could make it past the sound barrier, to where the ramjets can really kick in, it might make it to orbit. It has -plenty- of fuel, and can make more as it goes with the Karbonite on board.

Or of course, if you get your hands on some Karborundum, a couple of Torches will launch a small asteroid into orbit with no problem. XD

Edit: Do note though, that it's a totally unrealistic SSTO. Once FAR is updated for 1.2, I doubt it'll even get off the ground, and it would -never- go supersonic. XDD Like I said, just messing around, trying to make something that looked cool with the Honeybadger, and with the core theory that if I could get it up to 12km or so on just electricity with the Atlas's, it'd mean having gobs and gobs of fuel left over in orbit for missions.

Edited by FirroSeranel

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to take a craft with the ducted fans to dune and they flameout when started in it's atmosphere. The vab tooltip says intake atmo as the input, my resource panel and each part shows it receiving intake atmo, but they oddly flameout and won't run on Duna.

It's almost as if its looking for intake air instead. Could this be a dependency I'm missing related to the intake atmo resource?

1 hour ago, skald said:

I tried to take a craft with the ducted fans to dune and they flameout when started in it's atmosphere. The vab tooltip says intake atmo as the input, my resource panel and each part shows it receiving intake atmo, but they oddly flameout and won't run on Duna.

It's almost as if its looking for intake air instead. Could this be a dependency I'm missing related to the intake atmo resource?

Could we get a pic?  IIRC, the ducted fans only work at lower elevations an Duna, as the atmosphere is so thin that even surface-level pressure isn't enough in some places.

3 hours ago, DStaal said:

Could we get a pic?  IIRC, the ducted fans only work at lower elevations an Duna, as the atmosphere is so thin that even surface-level pressure isn't enough in some places.

I tried to replicate it and it seems to happen if I hyperedit to Duna instead of get the ship there normally. So not this mod causing it I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chat o/ Is anyone here familiar with Roverdude's O.R.C.A command pod ? I have a preblem where my IVA in the pod is blacked out. I have RPM installed and the ASET Mk 1-2 IVA replacement installed. And they both work perfectcly. So I have no clue as to why the IVA in the O.R.C.A is blacked out. Can you help ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.