[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

I have a separate copy of KSP with just RoverDudes mods :)

Yeah, I do stuff like that too. I have one for building atmospheric planes (KAX/Firespitter), one for distant travel, and one for massive space planes (B9). I just wish I didn't have to, I have 16 GB of ram, and I get to use 3.

I can't get my Honeybadger to stop from tipping itself onto its back and exploding every time it launches. What gives?

Build it more balanced, or cheat and use davon throttle control (although it isn't cheating at all because who would build a VTOL capable craft without throttle control!?!?!?!?)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I do stuff like that too. I have one for building atmospheric planes (KAX/Firespitter), one for distant travel, and one for massive space planes (B9). I just wish I didn't have to, I have 16 GB of ram, and I get to use 3.

Why would you need 3 installs, I have all of the big mods installed and my ram barely goes over 5GB ????

Build it more balanced, or cheat and use davon throttle control (although it isn't cheating at all because who would build a VTOL capable craft without throttle control!?!?!?!?)

Yeah, I've actually tried Davon Throttle Control for this (and let me say I find DVC to be remarkably lacklustre) and it just can't manage balancing the damn thing for more than a couple of minutes flight. I honestly think the next stage of this mod needs to be some sort of automated VTOL guidance/switching system.

Build it more balanced, or cheat and use davon throttle control (although it isn't cheating at all because who would build a VTOL capable craft without throttle control!?!?!?!

easier said than done. Especially trying to make one balanced both empty and full. And I have a really tough time figuring out the balance VS thrust with VTOL engines in the SPH.

May try also loading the throttle control mod.

Just filled up the RocketBadger using all its drills, fully loaded with ore, minerals, water, substrate, karbonite, monprop and fuel its 390 tonnes lol!! Still flies nicely on the Mun though :cool:

Awesome! How did you get it to the Mun? Will it SSTO out of Kerbin?

Craft file plox? I'd love to study it in the SPH in order to get some understanding on balancing these beasts.

No not SSTO, sadly :( It used a big fat launcher with a HIDEOUS huge procedural fairing....

jpM7oWY.png

I normally make sure my fairings are much smaller than that....... or use radial boosters to make it look more sensible

:)

Craft Files https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64331679/RocketBadger-Mining-Booster.craft

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64331679/RocketBadger-Mining.craft

Um you will need davon throttle control and probably tweakscale, maybe KW... not sure I have feckin loads of mods installed!

Also my designs are only superficially balanced because they don't need to be perfectly balanced when using Davon Throttle Control and TAC fuel balancer :D :D :D

Edited by Joachim

Just filled up the RocketBadger using all its drills, fully loaded with ore, minerals, water, substrate, karbonite, monprop and fuel its 390 tonnes lol!! Still flies nicely on the Mun though :cool:

That looks downright pretty next to the MKS bases. And yes, there's a very specific and somewhat consistent aesthetic I go for in all of the USI parts ;)

Great pack, can't wait to see how it develops!

Also, does the style of this pack remind anyone else of those old lego submarines? XP

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/1596363.png

Not on the inspiration list, but I love the comparison :)

Yeah, I've actually tried Davon Throttle Control for this (and let me say I find DVC to be remarkably lacklustre) and it just can't manage balancing the damn thing for more than a couple of minutes flight. I honestly think the next stage of this mod needs to be some sort of automated VTOL guidance/switching system.

Well out of scope ;) I just provide the parts - I'll let you guys figure out how to fly them

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you need 3 installs, I have all of the big mods installed and my ram barely goes over 5GB ????

easier said than done. Especially trying to make one balanced both empty and full. And I have a really tough time figuring out the balance VS thrust with VTOL engines in the SPH.

May try also loading the throttle control mod.

The one I'd try for VTOL balancing is Throttle Controlled Avionics at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67270-Throttle-Controlled-Avionics-1-3-0-23-5-(April-6).

- - - Updated - - -

I separate them out not because of ram usage, but part clutter. Roverdudes stuff has it's own look and feel and I like to keep it all together. Likewise I have plans for other mods and putting them all together makes me sad.

I separate them out not because of ram usage, but part clutter. Roverdudes stuff has it's own look and feel and I like to keep it all together. Likewise I have plans for other mods and putting them all together makes me sad.

Ahhh you are highly organised :0 i go for the cluster.... option when it come to mods :D

And now the Badger, just Jeb's fun ride really, no cargo or drilling :)

Lsj4pSP.png

Notice how I am using the reactor part as the central point of my craft with docking ports on the nodes on the top and bottom lined up as much as possible with the COM, COL and COT. This means I can do control from here on the docking ports for VTOL flight if I fancy it.

Now for the glamour shots....

sf9szqi.png

fDY7Tiy.png

yQSfIj8.png

qpPd2zq.png

iTWvRfX.png

Joachim.

I figured I'd as you first here before troubleshooting in the other mod threads. I just installed Davon Throttle control. An odd thing is my blades no longer spin. If I don't put the throttle control part on the honeybadger the blades spin fine. but if I put the Davon part on they don't spin anymore. Have you seen that?

Ok, I'll see your sweet honeybadger pics and raise you this....

(Was doing some testing for the next Karbonite release that includes oceanic, and decided to have some fun)

Considering that you went under the water, do you have hooligan labs's mod installed? Might be a good idea to throw in a water mod like that WITH the karbinite mod if we're going to be going in the water a lot (so we don't slam into it like concrete ;D)

Also, I don't have karbonite yet, so I'm confused. Can you currently "mine" the oceans, or is that still in the future?

Considering that you went under the water, do you have hooligan labs's mod installed? Might be a good idea to throw in a water mod like that WITH the karbinite mod if we're going to be going in the water a lot (so we don't slam into it like concrete ;D)

Also, I don't have karbonite yet, so I'm confused. Can you currently "mine" the oceans, or is that still in the future?

I went under water because that ship weighs in excess of 180 tons ;) Only mod there is Firespitter, which is already bundled. Oceanic is coming in the next Karbonite patch (I have a part or two to wrap up)

Ok, I'll see your sweet honeybadger pics and raise you this....

(Was doing some testing for the next Karbonite release that includes oceanic, and decided to have some fun)

That is pretty damn sweet :D

- - - Updated - - -

Joachim.

I figured I'd as you first here before troubleshooting in the other mod threads. I just installed Davon Throttle control. An odd thing is my blades no longer spin. If I don't put the throttle control part on the honeybadger the blades spin fine. but if I put the Davon part on they don't spin anymore. Have you seen that?

Um hadn't noticed that but will have a look, probably something to do with how it is regulating throttle and how that relates to the blades animation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.