Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

2 hours ago, JTpopcorn said:

Going to need range and relative accuracy info

Range is about 8-9 km, and target accuracy is as accurate as the SAS target can get. I'm still developing the guidance system. The missile has to be manually flown for now, but I'm working on including the BDA targeting system.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

10 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

G8tULs9.png

I had the ALS Minmus III stealth patrol boat in my old submission post, but it's a mostly obsolete and underarmored design so I'm not including it in the new one. I'm currently working on a new Minmus IV, but priority is low since I doubt Hatty will include ships as Episode 26 might be the last one on Kerbin for some time.

ok thx

For the truck system, I've done some more tests and finalized the design as the 5K20 "Tamtam", a nicknamed derived off "TMTM" or "Truck Mounted Tactical Missile". 

Qu3CCR1.png

The launching system is a bit awkward, but the vehicles makes it up largely with a 20 km range and pinpoint accuracy. The missiles can also be launched "flat" if required, but the landing legs are there if obstacles are present in front of the launch site.

fF7MQXn.png

yQuc0lS.png

The missiles are contained within sealed tubes, and they have to be staged before firing. Staging also activates the engines, so you can't misfire a missile when the seals are closed. The missiles otherwise work as normal BDA weapons, so you can switch to them and fire if you have a GPS target.

bjlOlxv.png

I'll probably write something up in the coming days.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

Anyone noticed a small problem when launching vessels in 1.3?

oHJfv4Z.png0bFf2Yl.png

Parts seem dislocated on some craft that were fine in 1.2. As you can see, time warping places the parts right and fixes the issue. This problem affects most of my crafts with some clipped parts, and I've even seen the F-6 falling apart on launch due to this.

shMqlai.png

zGZlFBk.png

For that case, I had to use the unbreakable joints cheat at launch and then timewarp to set the parts.

WYW4j2Y.png

cMYt1Lq.png

t2KvVlZ.png

The difference is very subtle, but if you switch quickly between the two last images in a picture viewer, you'll see the wings on the second one have moved a bit from the timewarp.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

I haven't run into that problem. I do get craft with 200+ parts flying into space or into the center of Kerbin when I spawn them via VesselMover.

Speaking of bugs, anybody getting this one? I have plenty of electric charge, but the probe says there isn't enough. I can't control this part of my truck. Oh, and it's also directly on top of the tracking center in case it was an issue of not having connection.

4biK1UR.jpg

Edited by Deathpuff12

1 hour ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Ooh, is that also a wheeled missile carrier? Or just a new EMTV closer to the HEMTT?

It's a variant of the EMTV with two anti-ship missiles. Sadly, they just guide themselves straight into the ground no matter what I do.

You have the charge flow turned off. Click on any of the buttons to the right of electric charge indicator to enable the flow.

Thanks, I'll try that.

:)

Edited by Deathpuff12

Before I decouple, the charge flow is on and everything functions normally. After, however, the probe stops working and I can't even change the flow. I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the modular missiles themselves, so I'm gonna test it without the missiles.

2 minutes ago, Deathpuff12 said:

I'm starting to suspect it has something to do with the modular missiles themselves, so I'm gonna test it without the missiles.

I've worked with the modular missile system for the TMTM, and it cuts off charge flow to the attached missile parts up to (I presume) anywhere without crossfeed. You might need to name the missiles in the SPH and fire them using the BDA manager for the charge flow to work and perhaps disable crossfeed on your joint to delimit where the missile starts and ends.

Edited by NotAnAimbot

I know the missiles themselves can fire. The problem is that I can't fire them because the probe core on the launcher just doesn't work after I decouple it ("it" being the part with the missile tubes that I can raise up and down).

Also, I've just tested again, and it seems that the probe doesn't work whether the missiles are attached or not. I'm gonna do some more testing.

Edited by Deathpuff12

1 minute ago, Deathpuff12 said:

However, when I added the missiles I still had the problem.

Perhaps the missile manager is considering the whole elevation assembly as the missile?

You could try using a claw and enabling rotation on it to keep it whole.

6 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Perhaps the missile manager is considering the whole elevation assembly as the missile?

You could try using a claw and enabling rotation on it to keep it whole.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm gonna try that now.

Edit: The claw is just way too big for it. I guess I will end up making it a single craft.

Edited by Deathpuff12

28 minutes ago, VeryShyProxy said:

How does one make the modular missile guidance system work?  Every time I activate it, it drives the missile straight into the ground. 

1. Be sure to give your missile enough thrust to not plummet to the ground. Try launching it without the guidance system and seeing if it can leave the tube/decoupler without crashing into the ground
  2. Give your missile a target. Without target, it's unguided, and going straight into the ground
  3. Add lift surfaces or switch to cruise missile guiding if necessary. Flying closer to the ground with low thrust = higher crash chances, but you can set a cruise altitude with the cruise missile mode (ex: at 800m AGL) and thus not hit the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Huge edit on my post in the ship submissions thread coming soon.

I'm marking both the Rhino and the Firefly as outdated (should I do this, or delete them entirely?).

I'm also adding some more craft: the MIML-45 Patriot, the M5A1 Sabre, the SPG-57 Bishop, and the F-56 Sentinel. The Sabre and the Bishop both use the awesome new armor, which is great because it reduces part count by a whole lot.

Sadly, I still haven't been successful at making any spacecraft. I want to build smaller fighters/bombers, but I can't even get them to look decent, so I'll stick with atmospheric craft for now.

If anyone has any tips on making spacecraft look good, I would love to hear them.

Edit: Just changed my thread:

Edited by Deathpuff12

19 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

The Sabre and the Bishop both use the awesome new armor, which is great because it reduces part count by a whole lot.

Isn't that armor part of another mod though? I remember trying the Sabre some time back and being unable to load it since I didn't have the BDA extension.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.