Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

I have a mining freighter basically finished right now, it is designed to constantly refuel itself of asteroids and dump off excess ore to a small, lightly armed space station trade hub, which has one of my stock hinge turrets on it. This isn't quite finished yet, but I have been working on civilian freighters and mining vessels a lot recently, and should probably post them at some point.

1 hour ago, Aveeeno said:

Knowing would give me a deadline to work for.

Ep 24 and 25 were a year between, and Ep 23 was only a few months before Ep 24, so it seems like the time limit varies greatly. I won't call Hatbat as I think he's too busy on KS or something else to answer, but you could ask him directly or mention him in the thread.

26 seems like it'll be a lot slower episode so I don't think it'll be a whole year. Could be wrong.

I went and included my overhauled logistical craft to my submission. Liking this one big Freighter a lot more than the old smaller ones.

1 hour ago, Spartwo said:

26 seems like it'll be a lot slower episode

True, I'd wager it would just show (As Hat confirmed) some scenes of KSC being reoccupied/built/and HKA reasserting its authority with, hopefully, new atmospheric vehicles since there dozens of new submissions in that sector.

What else do you think would happen, personally? I'm guessing at least some fighting of surviving GMI pockets, followed by an intrigue hook somewhere else in the Kerbol system.

I thought Prometheus was GMI building the nuke to wipe out HKA in one shot, but it's a different project? Cool. I'm really interested to find out who was in the escape pod that was blown off the aegis, as there was the closeup on the window, and one of the crew shouted "im so sorry <insert name here>!" Which I interpreted as him being sorry for running to the escape pod.

I've been testing lots of planes built by other players recently, and would like to give everyone a little reminder on landing gears.

Landing gear is supposed to go somewhere behind (Or in front of, if you have a taildragger) the CoM so that it can act as a lever's fulcrum when pitching up for take-off. I've seen quite a few craft who don't respect this rule and end up taking a very long roll distance despite being fine otherwise. This might not affect the series very much, but it can be useful to know when building other planes for career use.

Personally, I prefer to position the rear landing gear quite a bit of distance away from the CoM, as I find that having it closer makes flaring and slowing down before landing considerably more difficult, as you are constantly at risk of having your engines collide with the runway. But other than that, having them closer, and thereby benefitting from the decreased take-off time due to the lever effect, is definitely a good argument for doing so.

Edited by Abraxis

38 minutes ago, Abraxis said:

as I find that having it closer makes flaring and slowing down before landing considerably more difficult

That's more of a plane design problem though, since either the plane is too long or the landing gear is too short. A well-proportioned plane should be fine if its wheels put it high enough.

Here are my mining fleet vessels, The AMC-1 Leviathan, a mining freighter designed to be constantly refuelling itself of asteroids around Kerbin, and selling the excess ore. It works in conjunction with Oasis station, a old pre-Siege of Kerbin station in Mun orbit which has been refitted and upgraded with larger crew space, more ore storage and a anti-fighter I-Beam tracking turret. Before the siege of Kerbin it was solely open to F-Tech ships, but as a show of faith, the company has allowed any allies of HKA access to trade ore.

Leviathan:

5SWjgyg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

(The asteroid is an asteroid, not Gilly)

Oasis station:

u7MOF0B_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Both have been built with have reasonable part counts in mind, being 225 and 320, respectively. I don't have downloads right now, but I will put them up later today.

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I added a new jet to my post, and cleaned up a few things.

Also, just FYI, there are some problems with BDArmory as of now. Penetration was added, but no armor was added along with it. However, I do believe that the armor is currently in the works, and it should be released eventually.

9 hours ago, Deathpuff12 said:

Penetration was added, but no armor was added along with it. However, I do believe that the armor is currently in the works, and it should be released eventually.

Yup, OP 120mm shells were a problem since 1.1 or 1.2. We actually talked about it for a while on the thread.

I assume your referring to my stock turret, if so, lots of stock hinge building and hours of tweaking. :wink: I can give you a craft file if you want, but I'm going to have to ask you to not use it on any ships you submit. In other news, I have built a version of the turret with more reaction wheels, allowing it to be used in Kerbin gravity or below. And I can confirm the turret does track targets after switching, and with multi-vessel action groups all you need to do is fire.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:01 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

Ok @HatBat, I got a video. I fixed the accuracy by removing the casing and changing the missile staging to single-fire, and along the way the recoil all but disappeared somehow.

Now all I need is a ship to mount it on, the Hyperion is already to high on part count.

@ScriptKitt3h That new Helios Gen 3 looks great, did you fix the issue where all the wing plates fell off when you shot it top-down?

Recoil reduced maybe because its on a huge ship with high mass to absorb it? and it all the armor fell off in one hit i think it could be all linked to the top armour so when that was shot out it came along?

more stuff on the gear gun: what is the effective range? I was getting ind of fustrated with my inability to hit with my own designs and i tried a point blank shot. 2 meters. The rail went sraight through. do you have any suggestions on range? 

and there are real stock propellor planes out there :D ill put a link up for a video on howto later not my channel though. Beware as they are kind of glitchy.

Edited by Sidestrafe2462
typo

25 minutes ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

your scout looks like th ww2 p-51 mustang! it close enough

wait... im a rocketeer? how do you get promoted?

They are tied to different levels of rep (the green number under 'members'), which is equal to the number of times somebody likes one of your posts. You can also change it by going into your profile settings (don't ask me exactly where).

Rather than derail the topic, here's a helicopter that I slapped together in an afternoon for a cinematic that I'm almost done with. If there's any interest, I'll post it. It's got spinning blades and not much else.

nZV0AHI.png

Good for doing some after-battle checkups on wreckage, or just cruising around at 150m/s.

12 hours ago, Sidestrafe2462 said:

and there are real stock propellor planes out there

I'm aware, I'm just not good with SAS/Turbojetprops. Plus, they would probably be too complicated for the series, so I settled with a thrust reverser design. 

As for the gear gun, the projectile seems to go straight through if it's fired too fast, so it needs some distance for it to "load". I've determined aiming mostly with trial and error, by using cokpit view and seeing where the projectile goes relative to a commutron antenna's stripes to know where to aim.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.