Kethane Station Discussion

Halban

You have renewed my interest in KSP military craft. I did submit a few designs to the Macey Dean's Spiritwolf/Hanland thread and now I would like to try my hand at making a few for your series. Now, to be honest I can't make capital ships and those I do make are massive targets.

Just shoot me! SHOOT ME!

F7revaO.png

Also, my carrier fighters end up looking like everybody else's. Form follows function.

Or end up looking very weird...

FNNINz7.png

So I like to try out special designs, ones that may be used once or used for special missions or duties nobody bothers with because they are too busy trying to make smaller fighters, bigger capital ships, and creamier ice cream.

So I am trying my hand at making a light kind of Special Forces Tank designed to be dropped onto Kerbin. Tiny. Trying to use BD Armory Mod but I am on my sixth version and for the life of me can't figure out how to make the guns fire. It keeps telling me I have no target but even when I gave it a dummy target the guns did not fire. They don't even unfold from their housing.

I don't want to even bother with testing how it survives dropping from orbit if the weapons will not even function. I took a few screen shots, so if anybody has any advice. Oh yes, I also attached the tiny control, the one that cycles through the weapons, but it could not even detect the cals. I am thinking maybe it is how they are attached....

1pT9Z9Q.png

XUARtB6.png

Not even sure how to load a couple of them into a launcher yet but I WILL figure it out...once the guns work.

This may sound stupid Valley, but did you left click on the guns and activate them?? They are activated by mouse and shoot when you click and aim wherever your pointer is. They are not controlled by the weapons manager. In your screenshots they are not. Oh and HatBat, I made some lore on my ships, will be posted either today or tomorrow morning.

Edited by 2SPOOKY4U

Remember this is for YouTube so he can't use copyrighted material.

Didn't know that. I thought if he bought it on iTunes he was free to use it.

Lol, Avenged Sevenfold anyone?

No

On a side note, I tested out the burn together mod. Needs work with keeping jets in formation but over all its pretty nifty.

0hrMIjd.png

BckXFKz.png

rXsFiB6.png

Edited by War Eagle 1

I thought if he bought it on iTunes he was free to use it.

Music and software you buy is actually a service, not a product. The way the EULA is worded, you're buying a license to listen to the music privately. You're not actually buying the music itself. Technically you can't even let people borrow it. (but no one cares)

Music and software you buy is actually a service, not a product. The way the EULA is worded, you're buying a license to listen to the music privately. You're not actually buying the music itself. Technically you can't even let people borrow it. (but no one cares)

Ahhh gotcha.

Would have been a good idea at least.

Hatbat

I was just thinking, for us who are doing full fleets instead of just submitting ships, can our fleets get a theme song?

You can of course recommend something and I'll have look at the licencing of it. But even if it is ok for me to use it then I might not necessarily use it, the soundtrack for the series is something I spend excessive amounts of time searching for in order to get it just right. Whenever I finish listening to a new track, my first thoughts are usually the beginnings of a scene or video I could make with it. If I'm not getting that, then chances are I won't be using it any time soon. For example I recently listened to

and instantly had a cool idea for a video.
Remember this is for YouTube so he can't use copyrighted material.

Well, I have a pretty interesting stance on youtube copyright. Sometimes I make videos like Antarctica where I decide that using the right music is a top priority, where I use all kinds of music regardless of copyright laws. And other times I do my best to use music that is either royalty free or just not registered in the YouTube content ID system (like episode #17 of KS) in the hope that I can monetize them if/when I can be bothered to partner my channel. And so that people watching on a mobile have more chance of being able to see it.

Didn't know that. I thought if he bought it on iTunes he was free to use it. On a side note, I tested out the burn together mod. Needs work with keeping jets in formation but over all its pretty nifty.

As daemon said, that's certainly not true. However if you are able to obtain a track, by legal means, that has copyright protection and isn't too mainstream. Then you're usually fine to use it as long as you're ok with not being able to monetize the video. And congrats on your little Burn Together adventure, however I'd have to agree with you on not being able to fly in formation; but that doesn't matter too much to me. I just enjoy flying them both up to altitude then disconnecting the Burn Together link and seeing if I can use one of the planes to shoot the other down.

IpUirlo.jpg

Very true, however what I like to do for monetize-able videos is just purchase my own license to use a track or ask for the artists permission. It beats free music by a mile :P

Ahhh gotcha.

Would have been a good idea at least.

Well there are a lot of places that have open creative commons licensed music. That's where most of the music on YouTube comes from. Most of it is video game style BGM or dubstep though.

I do my best to stay away from creative commons music. The majority of it usually sounds pretty bad.

Ok because I was thinking of something from the ace combat series

You can still suggest it and I'll see what I can do. Anyway, I'm now going to switch off my internet until I finish work on the B9 Battlestar video. The web is the evil leader of all things procrastination.

Edited by HatBat

This may sound stupid Valley, but did you left click on the guns and activate them?? They are activated by mouse and shoot when you click and aim wherever your pointer is. They are not controlled by the weapons manager. In your screenshots they are not. Oh and HatBat, I made some lore on my ships, will be posted either today or tomorrow morning.

Tried it both ways and yes, right clicked. Nothing. I wonder if somehow they are not getting power or something...

Tried it both ways and yes, right clicked. Nothing. I wonder if somehow they are not getting power or something...

Have you tried setting them up so you can enable them with action groups? (And don't worry, the weapons manager isn't supposed to detect turrets: it's for missiles and bombs)

Ok, everything is ready to go. All I need to do now is film the thing. Anybody got a good suggestion for an exotic and sci-fi location for the battle (within the stock solar system)?

http://imgur.com/a/woUbH

Macey Deans last videos were focused around Jool, so I would think one of Jools moons, laythe, pol, etc.

Personally I would love to see some sort of battle for Moho, perhaps a conflict between two factions for an advance solar station on the surface. I dont know about an exact location though.

However Dres would be great too since it hasn't been visited at all in any KSP war series Ive seen either. Who knows maybe Dres is actually harboring a secret third party faction that's been observing conflict throughout the system. Perhaps the other two factions find out and begin scouring the asteroid field eventually discovering Dres?

If I go on ill probably nerd out all over the floor. *nerdgasm*

To late, carpet's ruined...

Edited by freakazoid13

Ok, everything is ready to go. All I need to do now is film the thing. Anybody got a good suggestion for an exotic and sci-fi location for the battle (within the stock solar system)?

Eeloo

As daemon said, that's certainly not true. However if you are able to obtain a track, by legal means, that has copyright protection and isn't too mainstream. Then you're usually fine to use it as long as you're ok with not being able to monetize the video. And congrats on your little Burn Together adventure, however I'd have to agree with you on not being able to fly in formation; but that doesn't matter too much to me. I just enjoy flying them both up to altitude then disconnecting the Burn Together link and seeing if I can use one of the planes to shoot the other down.

You can still suggest it and I'll see what I can do. Anyway, I'm now going to switch off my internet until I finish work on the B9 Battlestar video. The web is the evil leader of all things procrastination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-0I_YKKiuU

or

And with burn together, You should still be able to get some great cinematic shots even it if takes a little work to do.

Edited by War Eagle 1

Have you tried setting them up so you can enable them with action groups? (And don't worry, the weapons manager isn't supposed to detect turrets: it's for missiles and bombs)

Yeah, tried that too. It is as if the game can't see them. I switched them out for some missiles so I could continue with testing (the missiles seem to work fine).

fO86EHY.png

Version 7 being tested. The design of the Tank/Jeep(?) is perfect for low gravity but I wanted to make sure it could handle atmosphere. It is less then 3 tons.

f2jmIsK.png

To be honest I was a tad worried - it seemed to be coming down pretty fast.

0Sy4UZT.png

But survived the landing.

1u5yLT2.png

I figure a few of these could be launched in one ship - I just used a simple launcher to test it out.

The chutes could be replaced with docking ports so they could be attached to the belly of a dropship/lander to allow them to be dropped on no-gravity/airless moons/planets. And the weapon could be switched for another if wished.

I am submitting it to GMI - who I think needs to get away from heavy ground craft and thinking about using those high-tech ships of their's to drop tanks and military right on the target. This tank should help in that. Light weight, stable, fast. Cheap too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzWVddevUqx5N0doTUVoUURfZkE/edit?usp=sharing

Like War Eagle said, Eeloo'd be a good planet... but I also think Eve would be pretty neat as well, with its glowing purple cloud deck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.