OSX game freezes after you select the career type

Hi _constantin,

First off, welcome to the forums!

That sounds like an out-of-memory issue, but I'd need to see the complete log to be sure. Can you post all of the following information?

• Your KSP version
  • Your mods and versions (if any)
  • Your Mac OS X version
  • Cause the problem, then quit KSP and find your output log:
    • Mac OS X: Open Console, find Unity on the left side, and click on Player.log. It's also located at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log. The ~/Library/ folder is hidden, but you can access it from Finder: Go > Go to Folder ... (⌘⇧G) and type ~/Library/.

Looks like your log might have been cut off by pastebin. Is there more to it?

Sounds like you might have a permission problem. Check this thread (most of the way down) for how to fix.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24536-Self-help-for-crashes-look-here-first-if-KSP-crashes

Hopefully that helps, and welcome to the forums! :D

-Claw

@Master Tao here is the info

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 14 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

----------------------------------------------

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

---------------------------------------

it's a clean install no mods.

here is the KSP.log and here is the Player.log

@Claw i will give it a try.

what does it mean this IOException: Sharing violation on path /Volumes/Extended/Games/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/settings.cfg

that it can't read/write to file ?

@_constantin

You need to look at how this directory (Kerbal Space Program) is configured in the sharing tab of the System Preferences. If that configuration is limiting who can write into this directory and its subdirectories, you need to make sure that you (the player account) is part of the group with read/write privileges.

skips

Well, looking at your log I find two odd things (I'm not a Mac user or expert):

At the beginning of the log:

[LOG 17:02:59.669] [Versioning]: Windows 64-bit Build Detected.
Kerbal Space Program - 0.24.2.559 (OSXPlayer) Steam

Are you 100% sure you're running the Mac OSX version of the game? This seems to indicate that you're trying to run the windows version.

And at the end:

[EXC 17:05:08.599] IOException: Sharing violation on path /Volumes/Extended/Games/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space Program/saves/Test/persistent.sfs

A sharing violation to me sounds like the file is already open in another program, which prevents KSP from opening it.

Also here is the current permission on the folder and files.

http://i.imgur.com/phBHDu2.png

OK, so you have full read-write-execute permissions for all users and groups, so I don't see how it could be a permissions problem. That KSP.log looks complete, but the link for the Player.log points to the KSP.log. Could you fix that? It may have more details on what's causing the exceptions.

Also, I see you tried to load two different saves. Has KSP loaded for you recently?

Well, looking at your log I find two odd things (I'm not a Mac user or expert):

At the beginning of the log:

[LOG 17:02:59.669] [Versioning]: Windows 64-bit Build Detected.
Kerbal Space Program - 0.24.2.559 (OSXPlayer) Steam

I've seen that in other logs that definitely loaded the game, though it doesn't appear on any of my installs. Maybe it's a Steam-only entry?

And at the end:

[EXC 17:05:08.599] IOException: Sharing violation on path  /Volumes/Extended/Games/SteamLibrary/SteamApps/common/Kerbal Space  Program/saves/Test/persistent.sfs

A sharing violation to me sounds like the file is already open in another program, which prevents KSP from opening it.

OS X typically handles multiple programs reading and writing files gracefully. I've had the settings file open during load without issue.

This exception is almost certainly what's causing the hang, but I can't find any references that explain the problem on the forums or elsewhere. The Player.log may have more clues.

OK, so you have full read-write-execute permissions for all users and groups, so I don't see how it could be a permissions problem. That KSP.log looks complete, but the link for the Player.log points to the KSP.log. Could you fix that? It may have more details on what's causing the exceptions.

Also, I see you tried to load two different saves. Has KSP loaded for you recently?

I've seen that in other logs that definitely loaded the game, though it doesn't appear on any of my installs. Maybe it's a Steam-only entry?

OS X typically handles multiple programs reading and writing files gracefully. I've had the settings file open during load without issue.

This exception is almost certainly what's causing the hang, but I can't find any references that explain the problem on the forums or elsewhere. The Player.log may have more clues.

sorry about the player.log here is the right link

and i am not dumb at that level not to know on what system i am currently running. i installed this game with Steam and if i go in it's folder i see there are mac executables.

about the error IOException: Sharing violation on path i did a search on Google too, and it seams to occur when some application try to access a file that other application did not close it after reading or writing in it. and some of the results were related to Unity.

and what's strange this game use to work on this computer, i have like 400 plus hours played on it. and now after i removed everything and reinstalled it, it hung at that screen that i put at the beginning of the thread.

Edited by _constantin
misspeling

and i am not dumb at that level not to know on what system i am currently running. i installed this game with Steam and if i go in it's folder i see there are mac executables.

We are sorry. Our questions are not to imply that you are dumb. It's just that sometimes sometimes people make mistakes or things catch us off guard (like Windows stuff showing up in Mac logs). It's easier to ask questions up front, rather than beating around the bush and hoping for the best.

Respectfully,

~Claw

and what's strange this game use to work on this computer, i have like 400 plus hours played on it. and now after i removed everything and reinstalled it, it hung at that screen that i put at the beginning of the thread.

That might narrow down the cause for the devs, though I don't know why reinstalling would break it.

It looks like you have Steam and KSP installed on an external or secondary drive. Is that right? I see other people have had odd permissions issues with external drives. If so, could you make a copy of the game on your main drive, and then run the permissions fix described in this brand new post? It replaced the post Claw linked to earlier.

That might narrow down the cause for the devs, though I don't know why reinstalling would break it.

It looks like you have Steam and KSP installed on an external or secondary drive. Is that right? I see other people have had odd permissions issues with external drives. If so, could you make a copy of the game on your main drive, and then run the permissions fix described in this brand new post? It replaced the post Claw linked to earlier.

Yes it's on my external drive, all my games are there and working fine. KSP was there and use to work fine too. Before i had random issues like when you want to move your rocket to lunch pad and press the green button from far top right it was disabling all buttons and nothing more, staying like that forever.

I have write and read permission on that drive, KSP is lunched under my user account and must have the same read and write privileges.

@Claw i got your point :) no problem.

Alright i found the fix for my problem. The problem was in the type of the file system that i used for the partition where i keep the SteamLibrary. Before i had two partitions on the external hard drive, one was HFS+ and other one was ExFAT. Because this ExFAT is visible as read/write on macs and read/write on Windows i decided to make on big partition on ExFAT. But today i found that this ExFAT does not support all mac ACL flags like for single user or multiple user access mode. So that's why i was getting all that IOExceptions in the log related to sharing violation. After formatting back to HFS+ the game works as expected.

What was strange that when i was creating a profile or changing the settings of the game all this info was saved on the disk, that means a part of the code from the game is able to access the file system and perform regular IO operations, but some other code can't do that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.