[1.12.x] Chatterer v.0.9.99 - Keep talking ! [20 Mar 2020]

Athlonic

I have one really special request. I don't know about anyone else, but I use Camera Tools to watch all my launches from the ground as in real life. It's incredible how easy it is to do with CT and how well it works. I suggest everyone make it standard practice. It's that good.

That being said. The launches are too quiet. I would love it if I could have Chatterer here play the sounds of actual rocket launches. This way once the KSP sound fades away I can then hear the sound of an actual rocket flying downrange. Either started by a manual trigger or by staging.

Is such a thing possible? A "Launch sounds" feature.

I have one really special request. I don't know about anyone else, but I use Camera Tools to watch all my launches from the ground as in real life. It's incredible how easy it is to do with CT and how well it works. I suggest everyone make it standard practice. It's that good.

That being said. The launches are too quiet. I would love it if I could have Chatterer here play the sounds of actual rocket launches. This way once the KSP sound fades away I can then hear the sound of an actual rocket flying downrange. Either started by a manual trigger or by staging.

Is such a thing possible? A "Launch sounds" feature.

You could try out the mod RealPlume if you want louder sounds and more realistic exhaust. ;)

Oh, no I have that. It's not an issue if you ride along with your rockets like normal. Plenty of sound. But when you watch them from the ground via CT it's way too quiet. So if I could have Chatterer play launch sounds that'd be amazing.

I plan on making a video of launches from a real life perspective once I figure out how to record in Linux. You'll see what I mean then. It's beautiful, but too quiet.

And hell I bet one could benefit from launch sounds even in the normal perspective. More so then what real plume can do.

A while back I asked about having a way to trigger a conversation from an external plugin (RasterPropMonitor, in particular). I'd like to add another method to that request:

int CurrentTransmitReceiveMode();

The method returns '0' if no one is talking, '1' if the vessel is transmitting, or '-1' if the vessel is receiving (I'm avoiding the use of enums because I don't like using enums with reflection. Too messy). This method allows the crew to have Rx and Tx lamps on their panels, because you can't have too many blinkenlichten :).

Not sure if this has been requested, but something I think would be pretty cool is increasing/decreasing chatter based on activity. For instance, increased chatter when un/docking or near another craft, when performing a burn, during launch, staging events, EVA, when an orbit will intercept another ship, that sort of thing, while decreasing chatter when in a stable orbit, deep space, etc...

@ regex : Nice idea, added it to my "letsseewhatIcancomeupwiththis" list ^^

Also, I updated the first post with 2 review videos.

Thanks again TinyPirate for featuring Chatterer in your 2'Mods series

And here is what I call a nice review from maxrsp :

Thanks a lot for this video, and also I recommend maxrsp "KSP Easy Mods" series which sounds promising.

You almost made me decided to use CKAN ... almost ^^

Edited by Athlonic

Hi Athlonic, do you think is possible to create a support for Antenna Rage mod?

Not at this time I am afraid, as Antenna Range doesn't have something to speak with.

But as communication is coming with KSP 1.1, I will definitely use it, if possible, to enable or not chatter accordingly with comm-link status.

I try so hard to play vanilla... but this is the one mod I can't live without...

And now Val giggles!!! I almost fell over laughing! Thanks Mod-people!!!!!

You are welcome ;)

• 1 month later...

Code pointed question... how does Chatterer handle it's sound files? Are they all constantly loaded, or does it only load up certain files at once? - It might be interesting to try and turn one of the two Ship AE into a playlist of music if it doesn't push RAM limitations.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick test shows this one seems to be working in 1.0.5.

Does anyone know how to shut off these incredibly loud and annoying beeping noises the more recent update introduced when transmitting data? It nearly ruptured my eardrums and I don't know how to turn them down or off.

Under the Beeps tab, turn off the "SSTV on science transmitted" option at the bottom.

I installed this mod on a clean install of KSP and it made the shuttle engines sound different. Then I deleted the mod and engine sounds were back to normal. So it's clearly this mod changing the engines sound somehow...

I think this problem only came from the recent update of chatterer as I don't remember the previous version having it...

Edited by jrolson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.