[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Can one anchor provide reasonable power for securing a heavy ship to Gilly? Or should I use something that can be attached to the ground?

I cannot answer your question, but I can say that your idea is genius. Pick a parking lot and we will make sweet love.

I am using the latest version of KAS, KSP 0.24.2 x64, and I am trying to add the KAS grab function to the airbags from Umbra Space Industries. How might I do this

Open the file called addmodule in KAS's folder.

Copy and paste a bit that looks like this:

///////// linearRcs ///////

GRAB

{

stockPartName = linearRcs

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.21)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

dropAtGroundPos = false

dropPartPos = (0.0, -0.1, -0.65)

dropPartRot = (0.0, 90.0, 0.0)

addPartMass = true

storable = true

storedSize = 4

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

And replace the name of the part (the bit after stockPartName = ) with the name of the part you want to be able to use. The name, not the in game title. That will be found in that part's CFG.

Then, alter things like stored size, and whether or not it can be attached to static objects (buildings), or Kerbals until you're happy.

I tend to leave all the other settings alone.

The //////// bit is optional, and is a spot where you can write the name of the part the entry below adds grabbablity to. But make sure all the other parts are copied exactly, or it won't work. (Particularly watch those {} thingies. I've accidentally duplicated them a few times.)

Edited by Tw1

Hello!

I wanted to invite you KospY, Majiir, zzz, and Winn75 to a discussion on a mod list I'm testing. Let me know in that thread if you would be interested in helping test other listed mods with yours, or if you already have. I know you guys have a restricted license on redistribution, but before approaching that with you about possible permission to redistribute compatibility solutions in a future zip, I wanted to ask if it was ok if I included KAS in the Mod List I've generated and if you'd be interested in checking out the thread below.

Inigma's KSP Essentials Mod List

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/94353-WIP-Inigma-s-KSP-Essentials-Mod-List-%28in-Testing%29

Awesome to have KAS again!

Btw, does the mod support FAR? One of my planes has it's freight supported with (afterwards added) KAS-struts in a B9-HL storage, but on reentry the struts are destroyed by aerodynamic stress.

I hope this hasn't been answered somewhere I missed (the changelog doesn't mention it though), but have KAS parts had their purchase costs adjusted for 0.24.2 Career Mode yet?

I would very much like to see them balanced for Career Mode before I go ahead and install it for my latest Career Mode game (I've played with KAS before, but started over with 0.24.2, and then again when I switched to Real Solar System 6.4x)

Regards,

Northstar

Interesting but I've actually removed KAS functionality from some things because of how mods can conflict. An old problem with RemoteTech2 was KAS enabled antenna. They caused the universe to implode. Well you'd get a CTD or KSP.exe lockup which is close enough. Mis-clicking parts and grabbing them in EVA can also lead to hilarity.

Is there a spreadsheet, or anything, that shows where things are placed in the tech tree? I'm trying to build a crane, but for the life of me, can't figure out where any of the actual grabby bits are located at. Playying in science mode (and being a relative newbie to KSP) I don't have all of the grand tricks for getting insane numbers of science from one voyage. Typically I try to pull 3-500 out of a single trip though.

Hi. I, for whatever reason, can't right click on KAS parts either in the VAB or during EVA. I've tried a clean install and loading just KAS without any other mods as well, hoping to find a clash, but even then it's still giving me issues. I've triple checked that I'm putting folders in the right place and, as I said, did a clean install.

I'm using steam, so it's x32 by default, and the most recent versions of everthing. OS is windows 7

Any help would be much appreciated, as this mod is in my eyes almost a requirement for KSP

Hi. I, for whatever reason, can't right click on KAS parts either in the VAB or during EVA. I've tried a clean install and loading just KAS without any other mods as well, hoping to find a clash, but even then it's still giving me issues. I've triple checked that I'm putting folders in the right place and, as I said, did a clean install.

I'm using steam, so it's x32 by default, and the most recent versions of everthing. OS is windows 7

Any help would be much appreciated, as this mod is in my eyes almost a requirement for KSP

You must have ModuleManager.

You must have ModuleManager.

ModuleManager .dll placed into GameData folder. No change. I'm sure I'm missing something, but everything I can find to try and point me in the right direction seems to assume I know something that I don't, in actual fact, know.

Sorry for being head-to-desk level dumb here. :blush:

I'm having a slightly annoying bug, where when I load up a ship (either through switching to it or a quickload), any KAS containers don't keep the mass of the parts inside them. As a result the ship is lighter than it ought to be. If I EVA to the container, take something out, and put it right back in the mass updates and everything is correct. I didn't see anything on this in a brief search, so sorry if its already been mentioned.

Having lost any claim to sanity, I found a tiny little, fast spinning Planet Factory planet and started building a beanstalk... I used a class D asteroid as the head and started attaching truss segments to it. I managed to get the first segment installed, configuration is [ROCK (named "bad luck rock")][ART HATCH][sAS wheel][TRUSS+ docking][2x tweakscaled KAS winch][cable][2x scaled KAS plug][completely inert truss segment][KAS winch][Jeb]

Okay, I'm lying about jeb being at this specific work site but well he's the only kerbal who could, conceivably, do this project... I had 9 more truss segment for a total of 1km of cables + truss segments on my craft. The mess wasn't finding any stable state with the launch vehicle attached, so I fired the decoupler and let the launcher drift away. For some reason I decided to warp a little, possibly to accelerate my drift away from the worksite or to null out some rates somewhere nearby... What happened is that my setup drifted away from each other, basically the kraken came and cut the cables. The Rock of Bad Luck held orbit but everything hanging off of it crashed into the surface.

I need maybe 85 of these truss segments to reach the anchor point on the surface. =\

I really want this to work well enough for it to fail due to physics and the inherent insanity of trying it instead of Kraken activity. =P

Hi... i dont know if this is a problem or maybe kas must be edit (.cfg) but my problem is that i cant put (for example) structurals objets like "Modular Girder Segment" or the "RoverMax Model M1", maybe some other too.

I have seen tutorials that can get this out form the container.

So, I'm currently having a problem where I cannot unlock parts in the R&D center after installing the mod, and parts that should be added by things like contracts are not showing up. Only happens after installing KAS. Anyone else have this happen?