[Abandoned] CxAerospace: Aeroshells and Lander Chassis (Source Files Released)

cxg2827

I'm releasing all the source files for this project. Been too busy at work/home and I don't think I'll be continuing it.

Download

Blender and Unity Files

Gamedata Files

License: do whatever you want as long as you give credit

Parts inspired by the Mars Design Reference Architecture 5.0.

Features

-Dual-use launch shroud/re-entry Aeroshells to protect objects during transit and aerocapture/re-entry

-Surface attachment on inside and outside of Aeroshells

-Support equipment to facilitate landing upon release of backshells and heatshield sections.

Parts

Bi/Triconic Aeroshells:

-3.75m and 5m

-Top and bottom Aeroshells nose pieces

-Top and bottom Aeroshell extension pieces

-Aeroshell Baseplate

They are assembled the same way as the KW Rocketry fairings.

Lander Chassis:

-5m

-Chassis resembling the landers in the DRA 5.0 documents.

-Chassis, Rear and Front Ramps, Cargo Containers, Landing Legs

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Known Issue:

-Due to the CoM of the individual aeroshell pieces being offset from the center axis, you need to turn off object snap mode when doing surface attachments on them.

-Aeroshell may experience some dutch rolling when it begins to go below 600m/s.

Edited by cxg2827

This is WONDERFUL! I've been messing around for I-don't-know-how-long, trying to build a stock-alike Copernicus mission. The only problem I've noticed is that I can't sort out where the engines are supposed to attach.

If I may suggest, it would be neat if you included some .craft files of the assembled frames, for those who don't want to muck around creating one.

The only problem I've noticed is that I can't sort out where the engines are supposed to attach.

If I may suggest, it would be neat if you included some .craft files of the assembled frames, for those who don't want to muck around creating one.

If this can be made to work well with FAR&DRE, it will be awesome. Downloading, gonna test it tomorrow.

I updated the download link in the first post to include a .craft file in the SPH. Imgur album also has a picture of the craft at the end.

DRE moduleHeatShield has also been added to the base plate and bottom aeroshell pieces.

Link updated. Modified DRE part modules.

Been doing some testing and still have some slight issues with FAR. But, for the most part seems to be working. AoA needs to be under 10 degrees during re-entry.

Nice textures!

I was messing around with these parts last night- still haven't tried a full duna mission with them- but I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to add a bit of AblativeShield to the areoshell.

Edit: I tried a full Duna mission. However, I had a big problem with the top areoshell not separating cleanly when decoupled, which caused major explosions later in the mission. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is it just my bad flying to blame?

Edited by AlbertKermin

Nice textures!

I was messing around with these parts last night- still haven't tried a full duna mission with them- but I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to add a bit of AblativeShield to the areoshell.

Edit: I tried a full Duna mission. However, I had a big problem with the top areoshell not separating cleanly when decoupled, which caused major explosions later in the mission. Has anyone else experienced this problem, or is it just my bad flying to blame?

Took me a bit to figure out, but when I rotated the model in blender 90 degrees so it would be pulled in at the correct orientation, the decoupling direction did not change. So, the fairings were being ejected sideways.

Ive fixed it, so re-download. But, the fix needed to change the orientation of the nodes, so any crafts currently with the aeroshells will not load properly. You can fix any saved crafts in the VAB by just detaching the shells and rotating them.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice textures!

I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to add a bit of AblativeShield to the areoshell.

At first I thought it was suppose to be HRSI tiles, so I didnt add any ablativeshield to it. But, after checking back on the DRA 5.0 document, its not. So I'll be adding that.

The TPS materials selected for the aeroshell forebody heat shield were phenolic impregnated carbon ablator (PICA) and LI 2200. PICA is a candidate Orion/CEV ablator that is being developed for both the LEO and lunar return missions. PICA was the required TPS to account for the relatively high heating rates (462 W/cm2) that were experienced during the aerocapture phase. For the leeward surfaces that are exposed to less severe thermal environments, heritage shuttle TPS materials were selected including LI-900 and felt reusable surface insulation (FRSI) blankets.

I've spend a bunch of time trying to figure out how to get it working with FAR, but no luck yet. I'm going to put it on the back burner for now so I can continue on the other parts for now. I've redesigned the chassis, and decided to almost recreate the one from from the document and video.

XdRaLhD.jpg

Getting more progress. From the look of it, I might need to make a 5M chassis first to properly fit an ascent vehicle that can bring back 3 kerbals to orbit.

http://i.imgur.com/ncaYhNu.png

Alexutas from KONQUEST mod have disappeared and with him his aeroshell style landers, but you managed to create another one. Your work is AMAZING and is very useful indeed! Keep up the good work!

BTW, is this a single part or multiple parts?

Alexutas from KONQUEST mod have disappeared and with him his aeroshell style landers, but you managed to create another one. Your work is AMAZING and is very useful indeed! Keep up the good work!

BTW, is this a single part or multiple parts?

It will be multiple parts. Right now I'm only importing as a single part to check scale and clearances.

Parts:

rear ramp

front ramp

rear fuel tank cluster

front fuel tank cluster

rear legs

front legs

RL-10 engines

Ascent Vehicle Frame

Ascent vehicle tanks

etc.

Are you going to animate the ramps?

Yes, I will be.

From the video, it shows that both segments move (for both the front and rear ramps). I know this might cause issues with any surface attached items as they will not move with the animation, but I'm sure I can figure something out in terms of attaching rovers inside the bays.

I also didnt understand how those engines could fit inside the aeroshell. After some reading and closely watching segments of the vid, I found out that the engines have retractable nozzles. So those will be animated as well. I think it also mentioned that the ISP increased slightly when the nozzle was extended too.

It will be multiple parts. Right now I'm only importing as a single part to check scale and clearances.

Parts:

rear ramp

front ramp

rear fuel tank cluster

front fuel tank cluster

rear legs

front legs

RL-10 engines

Ascent Vehicle Frame

Ascent vehicle tanks

etc.

Yes, I will be.

From the video, it shows that both segments move (for both the front and rear ramps). I know this might cause issues with any surface attached items as they will not move with the animation, but I'm sure I can figure something out in terms of attaching rovers inside the bays.

I also didnt understand how those engines could fit inside the aeroshell. After some reading and closely watching segments of the vid, I found out that the engines have retractable nozzles. So those will be animated as well. I think it also mentioned that the ISP increased slightly when the nozzle was extended too.

Maybe it could be good idea to reduce number of parts to save memory? Like make common legs, fuel tank cluster and ramp?

I didn't realize that either, but looking at a picture of one of the landers now, it seems so obvious in hindsight that the nozzle extensions are... (puts on sunglasses) extendable...

Usefull stuff. But textures need some finishing touch, they look "plastic".

Hey, plastics today are quite durable!

Took it for a ride to Duna...brief summary from Jebediah:

"1st stage took me out of atmosphere - check

2nd stage circularized, transfered and fine tuned approach, estimated periapsis about 10k - check

2nd stage separated - check

parachutes - oh, wait, dont tell me...Tyren you ......!!!!11einself!!11" - BOOOOOOM

Jeb survived this thanks to Landertrons ._.

No issues with this mod, its neat and enjoyable :D Just have to do something about the weird looks of my crafts...

Edit: one last thing: do not, never(!) decouple the base before the shrouds or bad things will happen :D

decoupling works fine so far.

*thumbsup

Edited by Tyren

Maybe it could be good idea to reduce number of parts to save memory? Like make common legs, fuel tank cluster and ramp?

I'll consider it. Though the rear legs cant be used at the front since it doesnt fit when stowed. The rear fuel tanks cant be joined to the fuselage since the habitat lander doesnt have those tanks on them. I might have the legs and ramps a part of the chassis rather than individual parts.

Useful stuff. But textures need some finishing touch, they look "plastic".

Plastics make it possible®

one last thing: do not, never(!) decouple the base before the shrouds or bad things will happen :D

Ive done that one plenty of times when testing too :P

5m size seems to be the sweet spot. I've got most of the Ascent Vehicle modeled now too. A 1.25 rescale will be needed to properly fit the Orion capsule.

5m size seems to be the sweet spot. I've got most of the Ascent Vehicle modeled now too. A 1.25 rescale will be needed to properly fit the Orion capsule.

http://imgur.com/a/TuNkm

Depends on if the Orion capsule is life-sized or not and while I've never seen specific numbers on the lander, but would probably be 8m at its widest point, given that its shroud would be ~10m.

That would fit both Ares V or the SLS launcher.

Depends on if the Orion capsule is life-sized or not and while I've never seen specific numbers on the lander, but would probably be 8m at its widest point, given that its shroud would be ~10m.

That would fit both Ares V or the SLS launcher.

That re-scale was based on the kerbal-sized Orion from the American Pack. full scale for RSS would need 2x. aeroshell is about 10x30m. Lander is about 9m at widest based on documentation.

I was able to get some more info on the cargo lander from ChrisPBacon82, so I had a better picture of how the lander looked like from other angles. A big thanks to him for helping me out!

The front legs are suppose to be narrower and with a slightly different geometry, but for simplicity I'm making it use the same legs as the rear.

For the ascent vehicle, I made the center portion a hollow cargo trunk. This way more fuel or other parts can be surface attached.

Here are some progress pics. I modeled a simple MK1-2 Pod just to help visualize the ascent vehicle.