[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Virtualgenius: we're using a stock engine module, blame squad/MJ. I use MJ all the time but I don't use it in that fashion, never had good results from the spaceplane guidance or ascent guidance in a plane. Surf 90 40-10 degrees pitch depending on which stage of the ascent you are in,40~ when climbing to alt, 10~ when building speed, then back up to 20-30 to raise your AP. I only start using MJ's autopilot stuff in a plane after I've gotten my Ap where I want it and I'm through enough of the atmosphere to make MJ turning the plane not apply enough drag to matter, then I just hit circularize at Ap

Thanks for the reply Chris I just built a basic SSTO using the squad rapier engine and it works fine so I am thinking MJ isnt seeing the Sabre engine for some reason after it changes to a rocket motor, but i have crossposted in the MJ forum and I will see what comes from there.

Thanks again

VG

{RESOLVED}

Clean Install and made sure every dependency was up to date and rolled back to MJ #321 thanks to all who provided assistance

They switch fine that's not the issue its when MJ shuts them down to coast the last segment of the flight, then it sets the node for the circular burn sets the duration and the timer counts down but the engines never fire up again to complete the circular burn. I will have to do a B9 standalone install with MJ and test it and make sure its not something else, I thank you for taking the time to help me.

VG

Edited by Virtualgenius

You need more engines :)

I was tempted to add boosters, but... They had a tenancy to Rip the wings off.

So...

Fewer engines + More wings = SPEED!

VdvoTLz.jpg

eu4pVQZ.jpg

8DCzQu7.jpg

B9... Your work is GENIUS.

Edited by Mekan1k

Still can't figure out the engine auto-throttling. I will soon remove MJ, just in case, to test if it is causing them to have some sort of auto-control, but as you can see from the video none of the MJ options are on.

Possible cause #1: not enough air to keep them at full thrust (not sure if they wouldn't just flame out)

Possible cause #2: velocityCurve

I'd bet on #2.

If I'm not mistaken, in the part.cfg the first column of numbers represent velocity and the second column is the fraction of thrust available at said velocity. (There's also atmosphereCurve which affects Isp according to atmospheric pressure.)

velocityCurve

{

// Based on Fnet data from NASA EngineSim, curve fitted with MuMech CurveEd

key = 0 0.56 0 -0.0003

key = 230 0.52 0 0

key = 687 0.7 0.0011 0.0011

key = 1030 1 0 0

key = 1185 0 -0.017572 0

}

I was tempted to add boosters, but... They had a tenancy to Rip the wings off.

So...

Fewer engines + More wings = SPEED!

I have no clue what's going on here. Taking photo's at night is a bad idea.

I'm not sure what is going on exactly, but after adding this, if I were to attempt to fly a ship (plane or rocket), the staging list and the crew pictures disappear from the screen. I also can't use the space bar to activate a stage.

Thought it might have something to do with FAR, since I added both at the same time, but after testing, it is something with B9. Anyone have any ideas? I would really like to use B9.

If needed, I'll toss up my mod list.

@TheMariner

Copy install, delete all mods except for B9 and then gradually add them so you know which one causes conflict.

And if you decide to post results here, also post at least your output_log and on which version you play (32/64bit).

Possible cause #1: not enough air to keep them at full thrust (not sure if they wouldn't just flame out)

Possible cause #2: velocityCurve

I'd bet on #2.

If I'm not mistaken, in the part.cfg the first column of numbers represent velocity and the second column is the fraction of thrust available at said velocity. (There's also atmosphereCurve which affects Isp according to atmospheric pressure.)

velocityCurve

{

// Based on Fnet data from NASA EngineSim, curve fitted with MuMech CurveEd

key = 0 0.56 0 -0.0003

key = 230 0.52 0 0

key = 687 0.7 0.0011 0.0011

key = 1030 1 0 0

key = 1185 0 -0.017572 0

}

Ah, this was the culprit I was searching for. I thought there would be some more documentation on all the r5 changes somewhere. I can't go poking around all cfgs to find out all the shiny things Tav and Bac did :)

Would help quite a bit to learn faster and understand what's going on.

Ah, this was the culprit I was searching for. I thought there would be some more documentation on all the r5 changes somewhere. I can't go poking around all cfgs to find out all the shiny things Tav and Bac did :)

Would help quite a bit to learn faster and understand what's going on.

Oh that. The stock engines curves do it too though (badly) so I'm not sure how you never noticed before :)

Oh that. The stock engines curves do it too though (badly) so I'm not sure how you never noticed before :)

No idea, I have never used stock engines much. And I don't remember if B9 had it in r4, I almost did not use it. Maybe I missed it.

Okay then, if the engines have some throttle curve...how do I make them PUSH MOAR. For example, during an ascent with an SSTO with 4x D-30F7 Turbojet Engines, I reach about 25 000 meters ceiling at ~1170 m/s speed. At this point the engines throttle down and I am unable to increase my speed anymore, so I am forced to switch to rocket engines and start the orbit insertion. Any suggestions on increasing air breathing efficiency? More turbojets won't help, since they will reduce throttle due to the velocity curve. Should I just accept that this is the speed/altitude ceiling and adjust my rocket engines accordingly?

http://i.imgur.com/EjVwIxu.jpg

Location and contents of my Gamedata Folder - Pack was downloaded from Curse if it makes any difference...

Heh, Vista? really? XD Anyway, "0.24" did you forget/omit the .2 part or are you running .24 not .24.2? Pretty sure B9 R5 doesn't work with pre .24.2, you can remove the depricated folder if you don't have old B9 craft in your saves etc.

No idea, I have never used stock engines much. And I don't remember if B9 had it in r4, I almost did not use it. Maybe I missed it.

Okay then, if the engines have some throttle curve...how do I make them PUSH MOAR. For example, during an ascent with an SSTO with 4x D-30F7 Turbojet Engines, I reach about 25 000 meters ceiling at ~1170 m/s speed. At this point the engines throttle down and I am unable to increase my speed anymore, so I am forced to switch to rocket engines and start the orbit insertion. Any suggestions on increasing air breathing efficiency? More turbojets won't help, since they will reduce throttle due to the velocity curve. Should I just accept that this is the speed/altitude ceiling and adjust my rocket engines accordingly?

Several things you can try here. The first is to add a few more intakes and to only use the shock cone intakes in areas where your the flow is still supersonic (this is assuming you're using FAR) i.e. Put the cone intakes at a wider sweep from the nose of the craft than your wings (not too much though!). Also, if you can manage it, try to keep your wings as sweeped as possible, the smaller the angle between the leading edge of the wing and the craft, the lower the drag will be at supersonic and hypersonic speeds. Also only use precooled SABRE's or you will not function nearly as well in the high supersonic ranges. Lastly, be careful with radial attachments, they frequently add enormous drag in weird ways.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx8edykplre8fy3/Screenshot%202014-10-03%2020.34.46.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/frubrrd7nqv1y9b/Screenshot%202014-10-03%2020.34.53.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6imtztvk7o5mob8/Screenshot%202014-10-03%2020.44.57.png?dl=0

This is what I am using currently. With the technology available, that's the best I can do so far. It flies like a leaf in the wind, but is quite light.

I have not tried perfecting it, just threw it all up fast. Haven't researched the SABRE's yet, hence the turbojets. The SABREs will really make the job easier, but hey...those jets got me in space.

I am not sure adding more intakes to the current design would help me achieve greater air breathing speeds. Heck, I am not even sure intake air plays any role in the velocity curve.

Heh, Vista? really? XD Anyway, "0.24" did you forget/omit the .2 part or are you running .24 not .24.2? Pretty sure B9 R5 doesn't work with pre .24.2, you can remove the depricated folder if you don't have old B9 craft in your saves etc.

hmm... thought it was .2 i was running... will get it updated

and yeah I know vista's crap, but i can't afford a new computer at this point in time

In the part description, the D-30F7 is listed as having a max design speed of Mach 3.2 - if we say the speed of sound in 343 m/s, that's just under 1100 m/s. It's basically impossible for those engines to push you much faster than that. You get forward thrust by accelerating air backwards in an engine, but the engine can only push the air out the nozzle so fast- if the exhaust velocity is the same as the intake velocity, there's no net acceleration of the air and thus no thrust. Adding more intakes or more of the same turbojets won't change that. If the engines are running low on air, having a higher intake/engine ratio will help, but you'll still run up against the same VelocityCurve limitation.

I don't know why, but for some reason even with 8 GB of RAM, I can't seem to get the game to load with B9 installed. It's giving me memory availability crashes, but I'm only at like 70% memory used... any idea why?

The x64 KSP is still quite buggy

@TheMariner

Copy install, delete all mods except for B9 and then gradually add them so you know which one causes conflict.

And if you decide to post results here, also post at least your output_log and on which version you play (32/64bit).

Lucky me. The game doesn't even load with just B9. It gets through all the loading and then it just sits there with a full loading bar and won't go to the menu. This is the 64 bit version too.