[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Would be great to redo the hitchhiker model and a lab with less hideous windows :P

It's on the list, It getting remade is entirely dependent on me not getting sidetracked. Speaking of sidetracking:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Unfortunately some of the parachutes went nuts, so these new parts will be posted tomorrow.

Edited by Ven

I've been bashing my face trying to figure out what your mod was doing that was messing with TVPP, when I realized you replace the stock .cfgs instead of using MM.

Never do this.

I'll have a file that resolves that tomorrow :P

P.S. Some notes:

• radialLiquidEngine1-2
    • You changed the part origin and the node, and that's fine - but you didn't then set CoMOffset to set the part's CoM back where it was. Fixed cfg-side.
    • Changing the FxOffset is a bad idea - mods that change that engine to ModuleEnginesFX (like HotRockets!) will have FX that's in the wrong position (clipping the nozzle, I imagine). Move the thrust vector instead.
    • ModuleAnimateHeat was missing its closing bracket, Fixed.

Edit I lied ahaha: link

Edited by Taverius

Does it work with SXT? It uses stock textures, so any stock reskin will affect it, too. I'd like to know if it's for better or worse in this case.

No it doesn't work with SXT, some reskins work with SXT like the mk1-2 pod but the lander can reskins won't work with it

I've been bashing my face trying to figure out what your mod was doing that was messing with TVPP, when I realized you replace the stock .cfgs instead of using MM.

Never do this.

Taverius, stock .cfgs replacement (as well as the textures and models) is better practice sometimes - KSP still loads any textures and models to memory, even unused.

Taverius, stock .cfgs replacement (as well as the textures and models) is better practice sometimes - KSP still loads any textures and models to memory, even unused.

I'm not arguing about not replacing the models - no need to have useless assets in memory.

I'm arguing about not replacing the .cfgs, and doing the little that is necessary via MM.

I also think that having it replace the models outright is better for RAM usage. It won't load the original models at all that way so it's effectively a non-issue. On that note, it might be nice to have a "revert to stock" download so it's not a problem if you forget to back up the original parts.

But sometimes MM .cfg is extremely difficult to understand (i.e. like yours editions in TVPP). Hehe, two words - "Renegade Modder" :wink:

MM .cfgs are important when you're looking for compatibility with many different mods. It lets you set the modifications before or after certain other mods, or conditionally on the presence or lack of mods.

It's worth spending some time learning about it. I can't do much with it, but it helps to understand what others have done with it.

I also think that having it replace the models outright is better for RAM usage. It won't load the original models at all that way so it's effectively a non-issue. On that note, it might be nice to have a "revert to stock" download so it's not a problem if you forget to back up the original parts.

One can hope we get a better asset-loader. Regardless, I think a 'revert to stock' download might violate licensing.

Anyways, any MM for this mod is pretty straightforward:

@PART[Mark1-2Pod] {
@author = Ven

MODULE
{
name = ModuleLight
lightName = Lightpod
useAnimationDim = true
lightBrightenSpeed = 1
lightDimSpeed = 1
resourceAmount = 0.01
animationName = Lightpod
useResources = true
}
}

Only the radial engine requires any real knowledge of the syntax to follow:

@PART[radialLiquidEngine1-2] {
CoMValue = #$node_attach[1]$
@CoMValue *= -1
%CoMOffset = #0, $CoMValue$, 0
!CoMValue = DELETE

@node_attach = #$node_attach[0]$, 0.0, $node_attach[2]$, $node_attach[3]$, $node_attach[4]$, $node_attach[5]$

@MODULE[ModuleEngines] {
@fxOffset = 0, 0, 0.15
}

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateHeat
ThermalAnim = Heat
}
}

I feel in a lecturing mood, so lets go ;)

First, we take the second value of the default node_attach, and store it in CoMValue

CoMValue = #$node_attach[1]$

# at the start of the right-hand-side tells MM we're going to do a search-and-replace.

$node_attach[1]$ says we want the second (0-index) value of node_attach. Strings are split with , by default.

Then we flip its sign

@CoMValue *= -1

Use it to construct CoMOffset. Its a good idea to use Replace (%) in these cases

%CoMOffset = #0, $CoMValue$, 0

Finally, clean up the temporary variable

!CoMValue = DELETE

Could have used regex instead, but it gets hard to read ... it would look something like this:

@CoMOffset ^= /^(.*),\s*(.*),\s*(.*)$/$1, -$2, $3/

I think you'd agree its not really human-parsable for most people.

Now that CoM is in the right place, rebuild the node value, using 0.0 for the second part:

@node_attach = #$node_attach[0]$, 0.0, $node_attach[2]$, $node_attach[3]$, $node_attach[4]$, $node_attach[5]$

Any chance of a version (either MM-based or using a different texture) that would work with SXT? This looks good, but SXT adds a lot of parts at little memory cost. I just can't lose them. It'd be great if you could restore, say, gold foil on the lander can, or other such characteristic texture bits that SXT uses.

Edited by Guest

Any chance of a version (either MM-based or using a different texture) that would work with SXT? This looks good, but SXT adds a lot of parts at little memory cost. I just can't lose them. It'd be great if you could restore, say, gold foil on the lander can, or other such characteristic texture bits that SXT uses.
Does it work with SXT? It uses stock textures, so any stock reskin will affect it, too. I'd like to know if it's for better or worse in this case.

SXT is at least partly compatible , because it seems that several models don't load, maybe because they use stock assets that technically no longer exist. The models that are entirely original still look right (are still using the stock textures).

Never do this.

I'll have a file that resolves that tomorrow :P

P.S. Some notes:

• radialLiquidEngine1-2
    • You changed the part origin and the node, and that's fine - but you didn't then set CoMOffset to set the part's CoM back where it was. Fixed cfg-side.
    • Changing the FxOffset is a bad idea - mods that change that engine to ModuleEnginesFX (like HotRockets!) will have FX that's in the wrong position (clipping the nozzle, I imagine). Move the thrust vector instead.
    • ModuleAnimateHeat was missing its closing bracket, Fixed.

Edit I lied ahaha: link

Thanks for posting about that, I've added The MM CFG's.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

OK, here's what I've added:

• A new Crew Cabin
  • A 'new' Mk1 pod
  • The small SRB got remodeled, and now has a fairing.
  • The Long Antenna has been remodeled, and now collides with objects when extended. Antennas are now your early game landing gear.
  • both the 1.25m and 2.5m decouplers were remodeled.
  • Redid all the parachutes, added a few drouge chutes to even out the range.
  • Changed the 1-2 pod's collider to make placement of parts easier and more precise.
  • The sepatron was remodeled, and now uses the LES FX.
  • .625m, 1.25m and inline docking ports have been redone.
  • And some other things that I forgot.

It seems your folder for the radial engine is named Radial.. instead of radial..., this made the contents not write over the vanilla part and i ended up with two copies of the same part, probably screwing with ksp. Also, ven.cfg seems superflous as most of it is present in the part.cfg file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.