[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Just updated the file, now included: The 1-2 pod (note, the hatch location has been moved to the bottom of the pod (centered))

9t5T4Go.png?1

Updated Science parts: (You can now read the dials/ meters edition!)

spYstSk.png?1

And RCS:

qkaAw33.png?1

(The linear RCS now have an unused thrustTransform, FYI)

Also gave the Circular intake an animation (you have to turn it on though)

1. After downloading re-uploaded file inline intakes are both still clipping with part that they are radially attached to.

2. You can make circular intake even more awesome by making it animated like circular intake in Lack SXT pack k_smiley.gif

3. Mk55 Radial Engine attach node could be moved little higher because for now the engine "arm" is not aligned with it. Also the exhaust FX is to high and is clipping with the engine (maybe moving entire model up would solve this?)

Here are the screenshots of what I mean

http://i.imgur.com/RiyuDOY.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/55vY58c.jpg

Fixed the intakes/ engine and added the animation!

I agree with NathanKell, could the heat shield be removable? Apart from DRE, separate heat shield solves problem for people using Sumghai's SDHI and it would be totaly cool if you would create heat shield that will be compatibile with that pack.

Actually I tried to use the Firespitter pluggin to switch both the mesh and the fuel types for the pod (so that the shield is then part of the pod so there would be no more node/ decoupler issues), It worked to an extent, but neither the flag decal or the window animation was working correctly, (two days worth of trial and error rage) so I left it as it is. For now.

Edited by Ven

I'd rather not have to deal with Firespitter. It's cool and all, but it makes things feel less like stock as soon as I install it. If you do decide to add Firespitter it would be nice to still have a 100% stock option. I'd volunteer to help with that if I had more time and fewer things to do.

With that said, I think that having the heat shield separated from the pod would be best.

Stock parts have never looked better. Thanks for putting this together!

The 1.25m short adapter was re textured (it is just a resize of the 2.5m variant).

As the default small adapter and large adapter models are flipped relative in stock, this results in small adapters upside down on older ships.

I'd rather not have to deal with Firespitter. It's cool and all, but it makes things feel less like stock as soon as I install it. If you do decide to add Firespitter it would be nice to still have a 100% stock option. I'd volunteer to help with that if I had more time and fewer things to do.

With that said, I think that having the heat shield separated from the pod would be best.

But you're a mod developer... Sooo, yeah. Anyway, so many mods require Firespitter that I don't see how you can have a reasonably modded game without it.

Anyway, this revamp looks pretty stellar. Nice job!

Yeah please keep it so it doesn't have a built in heatshield or at least have an alternate version. I like using the SDHI shield. I don't know if this is just me, but the nodes on the bottom of the pod seem a bit higher because the heat shield clips with the pod a bit. That could just be me though if it was already on the original. :P

While Firespitter is cool and has a lot of helpful features, I think it's hyped up too much. My main issue is overdependence on it, where you can't use a mod without it. In some cases that makes sense, B9 Aerospace really benefits from it and the KSO Shuttles would be much harder to load without the in-VAB animation control. I start having issues with it as soon as someone makes a stock part revamp and then says you need another mod for it to work. It's not that I don't like mods, (I'm a mod creator, for goodness' sake) it's that too much reliance on them can result in a burnout from too much content, something I have struggled with before. Firespitter is also starting to go down the road of Romfarer's Lazor mod in that there's so much functionality in the plugin that isn't used when a mod uses one module out of the whole plugin for a very minor improvement in usefulness on one part. Using Firespitter for switching the mesh on one part- the 2 meter command pod- would be a huge waste.

The way I see it, stock part revamps should be using the STOCK modules and systems to achieve their functionality, rather than reaching out and grabbing another mod. Note that I am fine with Spaceplanes Plus (the mod) using Firespitter to get its functionality because it's a made-from-scratch expansion and not an aesthetic redesign of things that are in the game by default.

In any case, it's ultimately Ven's decision. If you want to add the Firespitter part switching, I would recommend releasing not only a Firespitter-dependent version but also a version for stock users, like what Stevie_D did with his NASA-inspired warpship. There's a version that depends on KSPI to get the Alcubierre Drive functionality, but the stock version is still fully usable minus the FTL capabilities.

Apologies for the wall of text, when I'm passionate about something I just start writing and can't stop. :P

Just re-uploaded the file, updated the inline intake and moved the delta wing around a bit, Its not perfect but its hopefully better.

meanwhile, here's a few Wip parts that are waiting to get finished:

http://i.imgur.com/JXFVeWF.gif?1

Just the Inline Docking ports model and animation for now (still need to work on the door wobble at the end)

http://i.imgur.com/qnuLX5I.png?1

Not much to say here, but the frontal window ports are rounder now. (Also modeled a heat shield to the bottom)

http://i.imgur.com/nzGzfKH.png?1

Glowing dials anyone? added a lens as well, but couldn't use any reflective shaders, that in my opinion would looked awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/BmCfn9M.png

Science Lab IVA. Still needs a bit of work.

If nothing else from this pack ever gets into stock, this needs to be the one thing that does.

How did you manage that without recompiling the part?

I remade the entire part(mainly because the viewports and windows weren't even), then exported it.

I start having issues with it as soon as someone makes a stock part revamp and then says you need another mod for it to work. It's not that I don't like mods, (I'm a mod creator, for goodness' sake) it's that too much reliance on them can result in a burnout from too much content, something I have struggled with before. Firespitter is also starting to go down the road of Romfarer's Lazor mod in that there's so much functionality in the plugin that isn't used when a mod uses one module out of the whole plugin for a very minor improvement in usefulness on one part. Using Firespitter for switching the mesh on one part- the 2 meter command pod- would be a huge waste.

The way I see it, stock part revamps should be using the STOCK modules and systems to achieve their functionality, rather than reaching out and grabbing another mod. Note that I am fine with Spaceplanes Plus (the mod) using Firespitter to get its functionality because it's a made-from-scratch expansion and not an aesthetic redesign of things that are in the game by default.

I agree that using firespitter for a single part is wasteful, but at the same time, if I were to add it, then it'll open up the uses/ possibilities of future parts. However I don't really have a plan for this, so they may not use the plugin again.

For the time being I intend to use the stock modules, unless something comes along that really adds to the game/part.

Apologies for the wall of text, when I'm passionate about something I just start writing and can't stop. :P

Walls O' text are the best ones.

If nothing else from this pack ever gets into stock, this needs to be the one thing that does.

An Iva for the science lab would be nice, but at the moment there's nothing to do in it, but sit there and play dodge-ball with some surface samples.

If you could view your science reports (granted they'll be more detailed than the normal ones) then there will be a reason for Squad to add it.

I wonder if some sort of add-on for Raster propmonitor would be able to do this...

Anyways, still working on it, adding props and adding more details. Poly count is steadily rising...

Currently waiting on Squad's update on them. From what's shown, I don't think that they'll need any help from me to look good.

From what pictures we've seen and IIRC, the new Mk1 cockpit has 18 sides, not 24. Would you be able to work your magic on that?

Also, still loving the new Mk1-2 pod. One of the best things about any mod I've ever downloaded, seriously.

From what pictures we've seen and IIRC, the new Mk1 cockpit has 18 sides, not 24. Would you be able to work your magic on that?

I hope that's not true, because I actually like the way it looks as is. If it bothers me enough I might get to it, but there's a whole bunch of things on the list of things for me to do before I get to the new parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.