[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

The Mk1-2 and Mk1 pods both have a slight offset to the their CoMOffset. This induces torque into the craft as measured by Kerbal Engineer Redux. I zeroed out the bolded offset numbers shown below and the torque issues went away. Was this done intentionally to match the offset weight of the real Apollo capsules or is this an error?

@PART[Mark1-2Pod] {
    @author = Ven
    !mesh = DELETE
    !MODEL {}
    MODEL {
        model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/1-2
    }
    %rescaleFactor = 1
    %CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.07

@PART[mk1pod] {
    @author = Ven
    !mesh = DELETE
    !MODEL {}
    MODEL {
        model = VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Command/CommandPods/MK1
    }
    %rescaleFactor = 1
    @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.3548837, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
    %CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.006

6 hours ago, Tyko said:

Was this done intentionally to match the offset weight of the real Apollo capsules or is this an error?

Mainly this was done to let an ejected escape pod yaw when the escape tower is fired, otherwise the offset was added to simulate the real thing. 

9 hours ago, Ven said:

Mainly this was done to let an ejected escape pod yaw when the escape tower is fired, otherwise the offset was added to simulate the real thing. 

Thanks for the reply. I get a bit manic about torque, but it's easy enough for me to fix. Love your mod. The parts look so much more consistent and real. Thanks!

Edited by Tyko

On 6/7/2017 at 1:16 AM, Ven said:

It's so difficult to dock with the offset lol, adds a challenge 

I'm trying to add a attach node to the bottom of the RT-1 solid rocket booster so I can stack it above another booster like the early sounding rockets. I thought it was easy LOL...I added the following line to the .cfg file, but it doesn't work right.

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.92, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

I can now attach a decoupler to the bottom of it, but for some reason the decoupler's bottom node is disappearing so I can't attach a lower stage to it.Any idea why this would be happening?

EDIT...for some crazy reason the decoupler (or other parts I try) is attaching via it's bottom node, so I can stack something on TOP of the decoupler, but not below it.

Edited by Tyko

@Ven for your engine's adaptors - the magical conical part with all the greebles on it that allows you to attach a smaller engine to a larger stack size - is there a way to fix the shrouds so that the shroud resizes to match the stack size? If it's not possible to do it automatically, could you have a selector that lets you set the shroud size?

16 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Soo, for a complete noob, how do I get this working?

You'll need Module Manager installed first.

After that you paste the complete text I provided into a text document. You can use Notepad that comes with Windows or any other text editor.

Save the text file into your KSP/Gamedata directory and give it a name that ends in .cfg - for example I called it VenParachuteFix.cfg

There's a lot more ideas for simple changes and more info on them here 

On 6/15/2016 at 11:34 AM, RadarEclipse said:

Tired of fighting with the tankbutt nodes, I've created some B9PartSwitch configs to use with VSR.  This will also fix the disappearing tankbutt issue.

Requires B9PartSwitch.

Download here: https://github.com/otaithleigh/VSR-B9PartSwitch-Cfgs/releases

License is MIT.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, gilbr0ther said:

I have a question and a sugestion.

The 2 nodes in the engines (with and without the tank butts) is 2 different models?

If is two different models, there is some way to use the b9partswitch to change the nodes model? this will fix the procedural fairing problem, the size of  stock interstage if you use the custom node and it is more easy to use. 

Sorry my very bad english.

Just a (positive) note on this.  In the last version of B9PartSwitch (v1.8.0) the engine fairings will now work properly with B9PartSwitch thanks to some changes in KSP 1.3 that I was able to take advantage of.

36 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Just a (positive) note on this.  In the last version of B9PartSwitch (v1.8.0) the engine fairings will now work properly with B9PartSwitch thanks to some changes in KSP 1.3 that I was able to take advantage of.

Thanks, I tried your config. It lets me select the node size which is great, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue with fairings...

QFwTF2J.png

23 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Thanks, I tried your config. It lets me select the node size which is great, but it doesn't seem to have fixed the issue with fairings...

Nope, to get that right you'll need an actual fairing used as an interstage (you can sometimes get away with clipping the decoupled into the engine but that can occasionally cause explosions on decouple).

3 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Nope, to get that right you'll need an actual fairing used as an interstage (you can sometimes get away with clipping the decoupled into the engine but that can occasionally cause explosions on decouple).

yep..that's what I've been doing up until now. I was hoping that there was a way to increase the shroud diameter when you changed node settings

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

Quick Note - adding or removing your config file to an existing game will break existing craft files and crash the game :)    

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Quick Note - adding or removing your config file to an existing game will break existing craft files and crash the game :)    

This particular change is not going to crash anything, but it might break some existing craft because nodes have been renamed.

16 minutes ago, blowfish said:

This particular change is not going to crash anything, but it might break some existing craft because nodes have been renamed.

I added the cfg to a test game in which I'd already designed ships using Ven's engines. When I attempted to load one of those previous craft files only a portion of the ship loaded and the VAB got all wonky. The Load Ships dialog box stayed on the screen and couldn't be canceled out. When I exited the VAB the Load Ships dialog still persisted. When I exited the save, the Load Ships dialog was still there. Only when I completely quit the game would it go away. I tried three times to reload the game and on each occasion I had the results above.

I removed the cfg, repeated the steps and the ship loaded without problems. Just for fun I then tried to load a ship that was created with you cfg loaded. That ship failed to load properly and I experienced the issue stated above.

I'm happy to share any more details you want, but you may want to see if you can replicate my experience.

Edited by Tyko

Oh interesting.  Maybe if you try to load a craft file that references a non-existent node it causes some exceptions.  If you don't try to load a ship with those engines on it is everything fine?

Great mod! Beautiful textures.

But in version 1.3 I have a problem with solar panels which apparently don't turn towards the sun. I mean sometimes they do and sometimes they don't which results in lack of electricity in a vessel.

2 hours ago, strozyk85 said:

But in version 1.3 I have a problem with solar panels which apparently don't turn towards the sun. I mean sometimes they do and sometimes they don't which results in lack of electricity in a vessel.

Do you have any mod that add more stars to the game? Because that's sounds like a problem with Kopernikus.

The solar pannels in this mod works perfectly (Except that the unretractable ones can't being retracted, even by engineers).

15 hours ago, strozyk85 said:

If you're using Kopernicus and any mod that reads or alters solar panels in anyway, you'll have issues. Mod authors are slowly getting around to adding compatibility for  it (AmpYear just got updated support), but if in the mean time you can't wait and are using a solar system with one star, you can comment out lines 16 - 19 (by putting // on those lines) in Kopernics\Config\SolarPanels.cfg.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.