[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Cool it guys, everyone's got opinions and they don't line up.

There were some good ideas though. I like Gregox's idea for making the Clamp-O-Tron Jr look like it's designed for resource transfer alone, I'm sure Ven could get that looking really sweet. There are definitely other improvements as well, but at the same time it's already a lot better than stock. Maybe there are some small texture changes to keep consistent with the rest of the stock game, but I think everything is fantastic as it is. (separatron and RCS nozzles do seem a tad dark though)

Maybe have two packs: one that's clean and boring, and one that's grimy and full of character. The color scheme of Jeb's Junkyard parts is already established to be Greys, Whites, Blacks, and Yellow highlights.

Blue, by the way, is my favorite color. But Kerbin's sky and sea are already blue, so it's not like the game is lacking in this color.

If you do really want more blue parts, Probodobodyne has blue accents, and the Clamp-O-Tron manufacturers don't really have a color scheme. Perhaps The Science lab is the logical place to put the blue accents. Integrated Internals (the manufacturers who built the science lab) have ONLY the science lab, which is fairly color-neutral. Blue is (in my opinion) a more sciencey/high-tech color than yellow, the latter of which feels more like an engineering-related color; and of course, suits the color scheme of Jeb's Junkyard parts.

Pasting this here to resume relevant discussion.

I dont get what people have against tankbutts. I think they look cool. "I like big tankbutts and i cannot lie" (maybe that one is a bit too old for some of the younger people here:P)

About the models+textures. I like every single one. With the exception of perhaps the nose adapter thing. But that one has never looked good anyway.

Edit: O and the small srb redo isnt to my taste.

Edited by landeTLS

GregroxMun: the creator of these parts has already described the direction s/he wants to take them in. I'm sure given the license s/he would be fine with retextures, however.

landeTLS: It means you are pretty much limited to using an engine on only one size of tank. Without tankbutts, you could use an LV-T45 on a 2.5m tank if you wanted and it wouldn't look weird, or a Poodle on a 1.25m tank. Also, it means you can't so easily cluster LV-Ts on 2.5m tanks, because the tankbutts clip into each other or go outside the tank.

Finally, a tankbutt is what it says: part of a tank. Tanks are pressure vessels, and that's why they're domed; instead, we get oil barrel tanks, and somehow the dome is part of the engine. Which means it should contain fuel, and which makes no sense when there's multiple domes on a tank end. That just looks freaky.

Instead, it makes much more sense to have dedicated boattail / thrust plate / tankbutt, or to make tanks that include their own domes (as NP2 and KW tanks do).

So after some thought and thinking, I have had my mind changed about dirty grimey parts. As long as they aren't squeaky clean and shiny, they look good. The argument, by the way, is not about me thinking that the stock parts are perfect, it's about the style of the parts well suiting KSP. And after reading it through, thinking about it, and doing a bit of talking with my local psychology professor, I've come to the conclusion that the whole thing is pretty stupid after all. (And also going through some personal troubles which explains my recent sensitivity.)

Things I still think need some changes.

Mk1-2 pod: So don't make it any dirtier, just make it have a better white/black contrast.

Mk1 pod, separatron/RCS thruster nozzles: The black is a bit too black. Lighten it up a bit more, especially on the Mk1 pod.

Hitchiker Storage Container: Make the blue stripes yellow! It adds color, and...

Mobile Processing Lab, Mystery Goo, Materials Bay: ...Add the blue stripes to these! Blue is a more sciency color, and I still think it doesn't suit the HSC very well.

landeTLS: It means you are pretty much limited to using an engine on only one size of tank. Without tankbutts, you could use an LV-T45 on a 2.5m tank if you wanted and it wouldn't look weird, or a Poodle on a 1.25m tank. Also, it means you can't so easily cluster LV-Ts on 2.5m tanks, because the tankbutts clip into each other or go outside the tank.

Finally, a tankbutt is what it says: part of a tank. Tanks are pressure vessels, and that's why they're domed; instead, we get oil barrel tanks, and somehow the dome is part of the engine. Which means it should contain fuel, and which makes no sense when there's multiple domes on a tank end. That just looks freaky.

Instead, it makes much more sense to have dedicated boattail / thrust plate / tankbutt, or to make tanks that include their own domes (as NP2 and KW tanks do).

I cant argue with that:P. I am well aware its not realistic but i just like the look of it, it blends better together the vessel in my opinion a more estetically pleasing way. "tankbutts"(i call them that humorously but they should really be called ksp style thrust plates/adapter thingies etc.) . It could be because iwe always been more focused on visuals+some realism rather than all the way realism in my own models. I have tho seen tankbutts that look a bit rediculous also so it can be taken too far.

If i wanna attach a smaller engine(lv-n for example) to a 2.5m tank ill usually stick one of the stock adapters on there.

Please dont take this as critisizm as i am a big fan of your all your stuff.

Back to the topic at hand. I like the rings on the 1.25m engine models. That wip lv-909 looks really cool

Edited by landeTLS

Was really interested in this mod since I can't stand the new MK1 fuselage models (the texture stretch on the UV maps and style are just terrible imo) and was thinking i'd just update the files to work in 0.25 myself. Thing is...

Why have you packaged the mod the way you have? It's currently set up to overwrite the Squad folder and assets, which is fine in itself, I've done that. What I don't get is why you've packaged ModuleManager with it which is for making it so you don't have have to do that?

If you are going to include ModuleManager, do actually use it so we don't have to back up the Squad folder. that's what its for.

I meant 0.25. [/facepalm]

Ah, yes, well... that's a bit more complex because Squad renamed most of the part folders, so in theory yes it's that easy, but in practice not so much. If you can get the folders renamed everything else should work out-of-box.

suDaxBj.png

Note all the cray cray new names, and this is just the engines in Squad/Parts, there's also a new folder for SP+ under GameData.

I prefer these wings anyhow, they look much better than SP+, which look significantly better than old stock.

Oh by the way, please restore original small antenna texture unchanged, i always liked this red-white design :)

Thats what I was missing...Updated.

Cool it guys, everyone's got opinions and they don't line up.

There were some good ideas though. I like Gregox's idea for making the Clamp-O-Tron Jr look like it's designed for resource transfer alone, I'm sure Ven could get that looking really sweet. There are definitely other improvements as well, but at the same time it's already a lot better than stock. Maybe there are some small texture changes to keep consistent with the rest of the stock game, but I think everything is fantastic as it is. (separatron and RCS nozzles do seem a tad dark though)

I played around with the docking ports and lightened up the nozzels.

Was really interested in this mod since I can't stand the new MK1 fuselage models (the texture stretch on the UV maps and style are just terrible imo) and was thinking i'd just update the files to work in 0.25 myself. Thing is...

Why have you packaged the mod the way you have? It's currently set up to overwrite the Squad folder and assets, which is fine in itself, I've done that. What I don't get is why you've packaged ModuleManager with it which is for making it so you don't have have to do that?

If you are going to include ModuleManager, do actually use it so we don't have to back up the Squad folder. that's what its for.

Part of the reason it's set up to overwrite the stock stuff entirely is to avoid needless memory usage. Frankly I'm not sure how ModuleManager is relevant to that, maybe Ven can enlighten us?

I'm using MM so I don't have to change the CFG's (And so I can draw from them with any additional parts I add).

Ideally I'll have two different versions of this mod:

One that completely overwrites the stock parts, with an slight overall increase in ram usage.

The other will be a separate pack that tells the stock CFG's to use my parts instead of Squads. So mods that reference/modify or use stock parts will still look and work the same as normal. But you ram usage is increased (sense the game is basically loading two of most things).

When I release the old wings, they'll reference the new SP+ parts, So if you install FAR or NEAR, the older wings are effected by the changes to the new wings.

1.3 is now up, and has .25 compatability:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

In this update I removed my add-on folder (which will be released shortly, once I get the CFG's sorted out.)

I like the geometry of the new turbojet/turbofan but the white color just sticks out too much against the Mk2 fuel tanks, which are close to its color/style but different enough to stand out. An all-black finish like stock would be nice too have? Would it be possible as an option?

I like the geometry of the new turbojet/turbofan but the white color just sticks out too much against the Mk2 fuel tanks, which are close to its color/style but different enough to stand out. An all-black finish like stock would be nice too have? Would it be possible as an option?

Here they are

You just need to put them in the right folders and overwrite the originals.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.