[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

getting some issues with a freeze on game-loading, it always stops loading on this partload:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/KarbonitePlus/Parts/KA_Drill_Radial_04/KA_Drill_Radial_04'

at which point the loading freezes, although the game itself does not freeze...

Usual deal - make sure you have the absolutely latest Karbonite installed. I recommend KSP-AVC to help with this :)

Hooligan Labs airship envelops. "Its not the best way to get off Eve, It's the only way!"

Lol, I have been having a pretty tough time with the Honey Badger VTOL's I might just give up and add some airship parts onto them. Sometimes I hate FAR.....

Actually a K name makes sense in this case as Karbonite is a compound, and [K/C]arborundum fits in with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine the name makes sense in-universe, I'm talking about the usability angle though. Both Karbonite and Karborundum are fuels, one has a higher ISP and can be found on different planets. Because of similarity in name and function, I can see this being confusing to players who didn't memorize the names yet or players playing on high-PPI screens where fonts have lower legibility.

Carborundum is the better naming scheme with the capital C helping distinguish the two fuels from the resource panel, though I don't think there's a need for a full hungarian-notation-ish "Karbon/Carbon" prefix in the first place. When going for resource names go for short names that sound distinctive and can be abbreviated easily.

Say I'm making a resupply list. I write: h20, o2, food, lf/ox, xe, mp - you'll probably decipher all of those easily. It's harder to make that work with Karborundum.

I'm giving this feedback because resource naming and organization were a particular usability gripe I've had with the old interstellar. It's a small niggle, but one that could become hard to dislodge after other mods start building upon K+.

Lol, I have been having a pretty tough time with the Honey Badger VTOL's I might just give up and add some airship parts onto them. Sometimes I hate FAR.....

Wait till the new RCS-wired ducted props come out ;)

I imagine the name makes sense in-universe, I'm talking about the usability angle though. Both Karbonite and Karborundum are fuels, one has a higher ISP and can be found on different planets. Because of similarity in name and function, I can see this being confusing to players who didn't memorize the names yet or players playing on high-PPI screens where fonts have lower legibility.

Carborundum is the better naming scheme with the capital C helping distinguish the two fuels from the resource panel, though I don't think there's a need for a full hungarian-notation-ish "Karbon/Carbon" prefix in the first place. When going for resource names go for short names that sound distinctive and can be abbreviated easily.

Say I'm making a resupply list. I write: h20, o2, food, lf/ox, xe, mp - you'll probably decipher all of those easily. It's harder to make that work with Karborundum.

I'm giving this feedback because resource naming and organization were a particular usability gripe I've had with the old interstellar. It's a small niggle, but one that could become hard to dislodge after other mods start building upon K+.

I appreciate the feedback, but this particular horse is out the barn and down the road, and will not be changing.

Well, I atleast have a way of cycling crew on Eve without having to use rockets.

Based on a prototype model found half embedded in a tree. This luxurious craft can take 2 passengers and 2 crew to or from Eve and put them safely in a 100km orbit.

The craft utilizes 5 Firespitter FS1ENE electric engines powered by 2 NFT M-EXP Fission Generators guarantied never to explode when idling, along with 4 LV-N Atomic rocket engines.

Pilot Comments

Bob: Im so glad we made it back alive.....

Jebediah: If you ignore the constant vomet inducing wet noodle oscillation its not half bad.

News Guy: What do you mean the passengers bailed before you got into orbit!!!!

2b9MBi9.png

ol6Btwt.png

QYwf1eS.png

I have B9 Compressed Air thrusters installed but the stock air intakes dont pull in IntakeATM :(

Okay, I'm losing my mind. I have a sundiving craft, with a perihelion of 1.5 km. It has the advanced particle collector, powered, activated with collection turned on. Tons of tanks available to fill. And I'm still not getting any Karborundum beyond what I brought with me (I did one dive before successfully).

I8YkV7K.png

What am I doing wrong?

Oddly, it won't let me load a quicksave I made.

hello all...

can some one explain to me how to get the small generator working? i attach the generator + some small karbonite tanks click on start generator and nothing happens

do i need fuel lines to/from the generator?

P.S

the small karbonite tanks when changing scale the amount of karbonite stays the same (350)

Edited by dtoxic

Okay, I'm losing my mind. I have a sundiving craft, with a perihelion of 1.5 km. It has the advanced particle collector, powered, activated with collection turned on. Tons of tanks available to fill. And I'm still not getting any Karborundum beyond what I brought with me (I did one dive before successfully).

http://i.imgur.com/I8YkV7K.png

What am I doing wrong?

Oddly, it won't let me load a quicksave I made.

You look to be exactly ok in that pic. It's just really slow. Time warp (CAREFULLY) and see if you ever go to 0.001 Karbonite

hello all...

can some one explain to me how to get the small generator working? i attach the generator + some small karbonite tanks click on start generator and nothing happens

do i need fuel lines to/from the generator?

P.S

the small karbonite tanks when changing scale the amount of karbonite stays the same (350)

They work on battery trickle charging. Have batteries, they should try to keep them close (but not all the way) to charged.

You look to be exactly ok in that pic. It's just really slow. Time warp (CAREFULLY) and see if you ever go to 0.001 Karbonite

Hmm... the problem is I barely spend any time at all under 2,000 m. It's a sun diver, not a sun hugger :)

What's confusing me is I've done this before with a similar craft, and filled a 300 unit tank in a matter of seconds. Was that a glitch, or does Kerbol have hotspots and I just happened to hit one?

Hmm... the problem is I barely spend any time at all under 2,000 m. It's a sun diver, not a sun hugger :)

What's confusing me is I've done this before with a similar craft, and filled a 300 unit tank in a matter of seconds. Was that a glitch, or does Kerbol have hotspots and I just happened to hit one?

Odd. It should be consistent. Let me play around a bit.

Nooo. This would make an awesome first stage for K+ sun mining.

Although I doubt it would work for me. Betting aerodynamic stress would tear a ship apart if I tried to use a fusion drive in atmosphere.

i Use FAR and DRE

Atmo aside, if you can get a craft that small to orbit (I just use a pair of gigantors) a 1.5 ton ship with a pair of the sample tanks has about 25K DV

for that small ship if u go to the orbit better way is use much smaller pannels with lowe trust

and for geting u cheap to orbit is enough to use solid fuel booster/boosters ( single with tweaked dow trust should be enough)

Edited by sober667

chepper way is to add karbonite jet engines i think :P effeckt will be same

Cheaper, perhaps, but you miss out on spewing radioactive exhaust all over the place. Fallout without all the loud, messy detonations! Although, I have a feeling loud, messy detonations are de rigeur for ANY Kerbal installation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.