[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

I added Torch drives to fusion engine tech tree(Nuclear Propulsion) as a temp fix pre 0.4.1, but upon a clean install of 0.4.1 torch drives are still located in the Nuclear Propulsion along with the new designated tree in 0.4.1. How is that that the hotfix i did is somehow still in the game somehow when im deleting the k+ folder and installing the 0.4.1 update?

The Parts.cfg is indicating the torch tech should be whats 0.4.1 is indicating, but the game also has memory of my hotfix, how?

Edited by protoz

protoz, are you by any chance using save where you already unlocked that node in techtree before?

Ya I've made some torch vessels w. that node, thats probably why its happening.

0.4.1 is up!

Fixed description of the Karborundum sample tank

Fixed various tech tree/CTT issues

Fixed issue with the electric charge requirement of the small radial drill

Thanks!

The start post says that it is KSP 1.0.2 compatible, but I think you forgot to update KPlus.version, because AVC complains.

Would you need a Github pull request for that? I hope not, for such a simple change it's a lot more work for me to fork, clone, edit, add, commit, push, pull request, than for you to just edit the file. :-D

Thanks!

The start post says that it is KSP 1.0.2 compatible, but I think you forgot to update KPlus.version, because AVC complains.

Would you need a Github pull request for that? I hope not, for such a simple change it's a lot more work for me to fork, clone, edit, add, commit, push, pull request, than for you to just edit the file. :-D

A pull request or just an issue. It's not that it is difficult, it's that when he gets around to fixing it he might have forgotten it with the number of addons he maintains. And with the speed with which these threads move he isn't going to wade through them trying to find old issues.

I've launched a ship with a KFD-500 Torch Drive, which was in its fairings at launch. Having subsequently jettisoned the fairings, the drive cannot be activated. I get the "cannot activate while stowed!" error, and its status in the right click menu is "occluded".

This is not a bug with this mod, as i got the same with some solar panels. But in that case, switching away from the ship then back was enough to fix it, while in this case it did not, and restarting the game also didn't work.

I figured there must be something in my save's persistent.sfs file denoting that this engine is occluded (I was hoping for something along the lines of Occluded=True!), and which I could change. But having found the part in the file, it is not obvious what I need to change. Can anyone help me out?

This is the code for the part from my persistent file:

PART

{

name = KA.Engine.500.01

cid = 4290030440

uid = 572996753

mid = 3714098477

launchID = 2

parent = 193

position = 0,-15.2866592407227,0

rotation = 0,0,0,1

mirror = 1,1,1

symMethod = Radial

istg = 2

dstg = 0

sqor = 2

sepI = 1

sidx = 0

attm = 0

srfN = None, -1

attN = top, 193

attN = None, -1

mass = 18.5

temp = 1101.05747704895

expt = 0.5

state = 1

connected = True

attached = True

flag = Squad/Flags/bullseye

rTrf = KA.Engine.500.01

modCost = 0

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

PARTDATA

{

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleEnginesFX

isEnabled = True

staged = True

flameout = False

EngineIgnited = False

engineShutdown = False

currentThrottle = 0

thrustPercentage = 100

manuallyOverridden = False

thrustPercentage_UIFlight

{

controlEnabled = True

minValue = 0

maxValue = 100

stepIncrement = 0.5

}

EVENTS

{

Activate

{

active = True

guiActive = True

guiIcon = Activate Engine

guiName = Activate Engine

category = Activate Engine

guiActiveUnfocused = False

unfocusedRange = 2

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

Shutdown

{

active = False

guiActive = True

guiIcon = Shutdown Engine

guiName = Shutdown Engine

category = Shutdown Engine

unfocusedRange = 2

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

}

ACTIONS

{

OnAction

{

actionGroup = None

}

ShutdownAction

{

actionGroup = None

}

ActivateAction

{

actionGroup = None

}

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FXModuleAnimateThrottle

isEnabled = True

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleJettison

isEnabled = True

isJettisoned = True

EVENTS

{

Jettison

{

active = False

guiActive = True

guiIcon = Jettison

guiName = Jettison

category = Jettison

unfocusedRange = 2

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

}

ACTIONS

{

JettisonAction

{

actionGroup = None

}

}

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleAGX

isEnabled = True

placeHolder = Hello World

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = USI_ModuleRecycleablePart

isEnabled = True

EVENTS

{

ScrapPart

{

active = True

guiActive = False

guiIcon = Scrap part

guiName = Scrap part

category = Scrap part

guiActiveUnfocused = True

unfocusedRange = 5

externalToEVAOnly = True

}

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = GeometryPartModule

isEnabled = True

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FARAeroPartModule

isEnabled = True

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FARPartModule

isEnabled = True

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleTweakableJettison

isEnabled = True

disableFairing = False

disableFairing_UIFlight

{

controlEnabled = True

}

EVENTS

{

}

ACTIONS

{

}

}

I did try the line towards the end, changing 'disablefairing = False' to True, but that didn't work as I think that is just the VAB settings for removing the fairing.

When CTT is installed the parts stay in the stock node they're assigned too because the CTT config still needs TechManager to change the tech.

:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree[COLOR="#FF0000"],TechManager[/COLOR]]

Same for FTT, ExpPack and WarpDrive

When CTT is installed the parts stay in the stock node they're assigned too because the CTT config still needs TechManager to change the tech.

:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree[COLOR="#FF0000"],TechManager[/COLOR]]

Same for FTT, ExpPack and WarpDrive

Known issue, fixed in next version for all affected addons.

The karbonite distiller yield oxygen, and i can't find any part that use this resource? Am i missing something?

Oh and karbonite converter bsp-1 25, says it should yield oxidizer, yet it yields lqdfuel. It's a small bug.

Edited by DeepOdyssey

That torch drive is OP even comparing with KSP Interstellar engines!

It is like someone combined technologies of plasma/thermal/vista/magnetic engines into one!

At least make ISP go down with thrust :P

Karbodium seems to be tritium.

That torch drive is OP even comparing with KSP Interstellar engines!

It is like someone combined technologies of plasma/thermal/vista/magnetic engines into one!

At least make ISP go down with thrust :P

Karbodium seems to be tritium.

Where have you been? Of course they are crazy OP. Go and start collecting Karborundum and tell me how easy it is.

Where have you been? Of course they are crazy OP. Go and start collecting Karborundum and tell me how easy it is.

Antimatter is hard to get too. It seems like karbodrunium is some sort of nuclear katalizator - like mix of hydrogen isotopes. Also engine has ultra high energy efficiency.

And no heat production too. I'm trying to recreate it with vista engine now. It has modest energy/tritium/deutrium consumption.

Antimatter is hard to get too. It seems like karbodrunium is some sort of nuclear katalizator - like mix of hydrogen isotopes. Also engine has ultra high energy efficiency.

And no heat production too. I'm trying to recreate it with vista engine now. It has modest energy/tritium/deutrium consumption.

IIRC from interstellar, antimatter was relatively easy to get compared to Karborundum.

IIRC from interstellar, antimatter was relatively easy to get compared to Karborundum.

So Karbodium = Unobtanium? Or other element of exotic matter (exotic matter is used for KSPI warp drives)?

Torch drive still stomps KSP - Interstellar like Interstellar stomps Near Future :P

Here is torch drive. Completely unhindered by Kerbins atmosphere.

I5qkXF6.jpg

And here is vista engine from interstellarefWcht8.jpgRKkUGOz.jpgGF1Bixy.jpg

So Karbodium = Unobtanium? Or other element of exotic matter (exotic matter is used for KSPI warp drives)?

Who cares? It's Karborundum (and please dear god stop butchering its name). Nowhere has Rover said it is supposed to be any analog to somethig IRL.

Torch drive still stomps KSP - Interstellar like Interstellar stomps Near Future :P

Here is torch drive. Completely unhindered by Kerbins atmosphere.

You still haven't talked about actually collecting Karborundum. Go mine the 75,000 you'd need to fill that tank and bring it back, rather than cheating the tank full. Then come talk about the engines.

Who cares? It's Karborundum (and please dear god stop butchering its name). Nowhere has Rover said it is supposed to be any analog to somethig IRL.

You still haven't talked about actually collecting Karborundum. Go mine the 75,000 you'd need to fill that tank and bring it back, rather than cheating the tank full. Then come talk about the engines.

Where I can find it? Well there are small tanks with it. Getting there and back with interstellar ships still should be easy enough

Where I can find it? Well there are small tanks with it. Getting there and back with interstellar ships still should be easy enough

That is what the Karborundum scanners are for...

Ok fine, I'll give you a hint. The only places I am aware that you may find Karborundum is the surface of EVE and Eeloo, and in very low orbit around Kerbol (don't get too close and burn up).

Also try not to blow your budget either. That large Karborundum tank alone costs 30,000,000 funds EMPTY.

Bottom line is there multiple ways to balance in a game.

That is what the Karborundum scanners are for...

Ok fine, I'll give you a hint. The only places I am aware that you may find Karborundum is the surface of EVE and Eeloo, and in very low orbit around Kerbol (don't get too close and burn up).

Also try not to blow your budget either. That large Karborundum tank alone costs 30,000,000 funds EMPTY.

Bottom line is there multiple ways to balance in a game.

Well I cheated money so I can test things - its something like sandbox now :P

I'm going to Eeloo

uL5sQX6.jpg

Isn't my hovercraft pretty big?

78bzHzG.jpg

Edited by raxo2222

Even if you know exactly what you are doing, extracting a meaningful amount of K+ from Eve is a major 10-30 hour IRL operation,

-Getting either an EPL chain going in the Eve SOI or transfering the exact right mix of vehicles

-Entering the atmo with a small scout and doing a low altitude (0.5km and lower) scan of a few biomes to find the richest veins

-Entering the atmo with your mining rig, likely 100-300 tons, and landing softly with high accuracy (May matter less if the levels are Biome locked like Karbonite is)

-Having a manned miner mine for 1-3 Kerbal years (so land with some life support!)

-Lifting 200-1000 tons off the surface of eve. Less difficult with the torchdrives, but still non trivial with the thick atmosphere.

-Getting your gains back to the homeworld

I've done it in three different careers so far, and it's always 10+ highly specialized crafts to get my supply chain running. It is orders of magnitude easier just to send regular missions to every body using regular means, but this is fun and powerful and rewarding, which I assume was at least part of the intent.

Interestingly, since even a small tank gives 300000+ DV, the need for refueling ends once you convert to K+, allowing a lot quicker gameplay.

However in sandbox where money is no object, and you spam sample cans then yeah, it's trivial and overpowered.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.