[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

0.2.0 PRE-RELEASE is up!

This is a pre-release. Expect bees. Report bugs, but also let me know if you have no issues as negative cases are important too :)

Stuff from Taverius:

DRE Support

MFT support for Karborundum

Tweaks to the 0.625m engine

Other stuff:

Switched from ORS -> ORSX

Fixed animation on fusion drive :)

It appears the KA-625 Mini-Drill is broken in the pre-release (using Karbonite pre-release as well) if one only has ORSX installed. Animation won't play, and won't extract resources.

Generator seems to work.

Haven't tried any other parts yet.

It appears the KA-625 Mini-Drill is broken in the pre-release (using Karbonite pre-release as well) if one only has ORSX installed. Animation won't play, and won't extract resources.

Generator seems to work.

Haven't tried any other parts yet.

Odd.. lemme check with one of my clean installs. To confirm - what version of K+? Pre-Release or non Pre-Release?

Pre-Release version 0.2.0 from Dropbox.

I took a look at the .cfg and comparing it to the other Karbonite drills (that do work) it's still using ORS rather than OSRX. I tried swapping that in the .cfg so it was like the other karbonite drills and it didn't work, so I imagine the animation call isn't right as well but I have no idea what the right one might be.

Pre-Release version 0.2.0 from Dropbox.

I took a look at the .cfg and comparing it to the other Karbonite drills (that do work) it's still using ORS rather than OSRX. I tried swapping that in the .cfg so it was like the other karbonite drills and it didn't work, so I imagine the animation call isn't right as well but I have no idea what the right one might be.

Yep working it :) I missed one

0.2.1 is up!

Download via the USI Catalog Page. All USI mods are updated at once, so for your convenience there is also an all-in-one pack on DropBox that includes all of the goodness in one package.

• Updated USI Tools
  • Fixed bug where Karborundum could be seen from orbit (boo!)
  • Karborundum tank description now includes max capacity
  • Added four Karbonite based SRBs in 0.625 and 1.25m form factors. NOTE: While these are very powerful, they also become unstable as speed increases - beware!
  • Fixed issue with the radial drill not extracting
  • DRE Support
  • MFT support for Karborundum
  • Tweaks to the 0.625m engine
  • Switched from ORS -> ORSX
  • Fixed animation on fusion drive :)

NOTE: If you use the Karbonite SRBs make sure you disable crossfeed on nodes that you do not wish to have sucked dry by them or hilarity will ensue :)

Edited by RoverDude

I found this mod from the combo package in the MKS/OKS thread.

Was not 100% sure from the config file, but it looks like 10MW karbonite generator converts to 25 electric charge second? Tested in game and that seems right using consumers I know use 15 Energy a second.

The mini drill seems to be consuming the wrong amount. Says it will use .25 MW and consumes .25 electric charge, shouldn't it use .625 electric charge a second?

Assume it is in a different unit than electric charge for a reason maybe I am missing a mod that helps track consumers + producers spread across a ship. Reading up on the units more seems like it is common in KSPI reactors.

Edited by Peppe

I came here looking for a solution to the tiny little drill not working and found out you updated - cuz you're a boss.

You've broken me for full sized components and I'm now mocking up a design for a Moho station and surface base to support a full on Kerbol station with satellites to map the surface (SCANSAT FTW) as well as a Karborundum collection facility - all to eventually power the massive interplanetary 'Cities in Flight' style Asteroid Station. Why build a big complex facility on every major planet when I can cruise there on a plush, luxury accommodation small moon with all the science, supply, raw materials and exploration equipment I want.

Fusion drive for injection burn, mass drivers for course correction and orbit insertion. It's gonna be BOSS.

This lets me do landings, exploration and such with the new micro-ships you've just hooked me with with the recent updates. How can I go back to huge cumbersome 3-seaters and hundreds of tons of fuel when I can deploy a viable lander that would fit in a 3.5m fuel tank and can unpack an entire rover from the KAS storage box?

You do amazing work. Thank you very much, you've added countless hundreds of hours of entertainment to KSP for me. It's greatly appreciated.

Let me start off by saying: I love your mods, and they will always have a special place in my GameData. I wanted to bring to your attention an issue I'm experiencing. The fusion drive nodes are spaced a bit far apart, as seen in the image below. Also, in a different pack of yours, the jumpseat has the same info as the HERP pod. (Which are amazing additions, nothing but fun. Very high visibility.)AXuCW7Z.png

HERP pod has no independent generator and runs out of power very quickly - this is a problem for anyone with TAC. Can it have the same generator as the DERP?

Otherwise it's gorgeous and I'm going to use it as a command module for a number of ships.

Not that hard using the Karbonite boosters to make one with 10k DV using the big ones. Ironically this turns out to be suicidal; for comedy gold I strapped a low courage max stupidity Kerbal into the HERP jump seat, stuck him on top of a bundle of 3 boosters with a TW ratio of 31 and 3k DV and fired it off. Pegged the g-force needle but the thing just whipped around in circles for a bit (quite the vomit comet) before exploding.

I have FAR which creates a lot more air resistance to high acceleration. I'm considering removing it to see if I can make a Karbonite booster design that can SSTO a Kerbal directly to the sun.

I have high hopes - and a lot of expendable Kerbals I've had to collect while trying to build a sufficient stable of low-stupidity Kerbonauts to populate stations. Going to see if I can get a 10k+ DV pure booster design and shoot unwanted Kerbonauts at other planets on the cheap.

That entertainment aside you may want to dial the big ones back a bit - not a lot, but a bit. They're terrifyingly unstable and while a big pile of DV may *sound* like a good idea trying to get a stable orbit with a booster is virtually impossible.

The concept though; cheap, expendable, highly explosive boosters - good clean family fun and fits very well into ship design.

Edited by Mischief

Nice so another SSTO i thin would be better to mount it on one of new Karbonite booster but...naaah lets make it SSTO based only on karbonite+explorel+stock parts

u2eu59dmnurh_t.jpg

it probably have enough delta V to go to Eeloo and maby even land if shooted on boster insted of ssto from surface..(but need to remember on Eeloo no karbonite so we will be scewd with olmost no power) that fusion drives is avesome

Edited by sober667

Let me start off by saying: I love your mods, and they will always have a special place in my GameData. I wanted to bring to your attention an issue I'm experiencing. The fusion drive nodes are spaced a bit far apart, as seen in the image below. Also, in a different pack of yours, the jumpseat has the same info as the HERP pod. (Which are amazing additions, nothing but fun. Very high visibility.)http://i.imgur.com/AXuCW7Z.png

Will take a look on both of those

HERP pod has no independent generator and runs out of power very quickly - this is a problem for anyone with TAC. Can it have the same generator as the DERP?

Otherwise it's gorgeous and I'm going to use it as a command module for a number of ships.

Not that hard using the Karbonite boosters to make one with 10k DV using the big ones. Ironically this turns out to be suicidal; for comedy gold I strapped a low courage max stupidity Kerbal into the HERP jump seat, stuck him on top of a bundle of 3 boosters with a TW ratio of 31 and 3k DV and fired it off. Pegged the g-force needle but the thing just whipped around in circles for a bit (quite the vomit comet) before exploding.

I have FAR which creates a lot more air resistance to high acceleration. I'm considering removing it to see if I can make a Karbonite booster design that can SSTO a Kerbal directly to the sun.

I have high hopes - and a lot of expendable Kerbals I've had to collect while trying to build a sufficient stable of low-stupidity Kerbonauts to populate stations. Going to see if I can get a 10k+ DV pure booster design and shoot unwanted Kerbonauts at other planets on the cheap.

That entertainment aside you may want to dial the big ones back a bit - not a lot, but a bit. They're terrifyingly unstable and while a big pile of DV may *sound* like a good idea trying to get a stable orbit with a booster is virtually impossible.

The concept though; cheap, expendable, highly explosive boosters - good clean family fun and fits very well into ship design.

HERP just doesn't have the physical space for one (it's smaller than a DERP). The DERP is all in one, the HERP is meant to be lots of little parts.

The big boosters are very unstable... ironically, they work better in large groups where things tend to average out. Also in the next update I added back in a kill switch. You can't change the thrust once launched, but you can at least cry uncle and cut the chain reaction.

Nice so another SSTO i thin would be better to mount it on one of new Karbonite booster but...naaah lets make it SSTO based only on karbonite+explorel+stock parts

http://images.tinypic.pl/i/00581/u2eu59dmnurh_t.jpg

it probably have enough delta V to go to Eeloo and maby even land if shooted on boster insted of ssto from surface..(but need to remember on Eeloo no karbonite so we will be scewd with olmost no power) that fusion drives is avesome

Nice :)

... in the next update I added back in a kill switch cut the chain reaction ...

Oh man, I've been designing a karbonite powered, self refuelling, VTOL SSTO splaceplane ..... and that kill switch for karbonite SRBs (they are going to end up being refuellable right?) just gave me an idea;

... someone should probably go ahead and let the crash clean up crew know there's going to be some explosions around the KSC for the next little while ....

I found this mod from the combo package in the MKS/OKS thread.

Was not 100% sure from the config file, but it looks like 10MW karbonite generator converts to 25 electric charge second? Tested in game and that seems right using consumers I know use 15 Energy a second.

The mini drill seems to be consuming the wrong amount. Says it will use .25 MW and consumes .25 electric charge, shouldn't it use .625 electric charge a second?

Assume it is in a different unit than electric charge for a reason maybe I am missing a mod that helps track consumers + producers spread across a ship. Reading up on the units more seems like it is common in KSPI reactors.

1EC/S = 1MW - ORSX is an ORS fork so we inherit a lot of KSPI terminology which will be normalized soon.

I came here looking for a solution to the tiny little drill not working and found out you updated - cuz you're a boss.

You've broken me for full sized components and I'm now mocking up a design for a Moho station and surface base to support a full on Kerbol station with satellites to map the surface (SCANSAT FTW) as well as a Karborundum collection facility - all to eventually power the massive interplanetary 'Cities in Flight' style Asteroid Station. Why build a big complex facility on every major planet when I can cruise there on a plush, luxury accommodation small moon with all the science, supply, raw materials and exploration equipment I want.

Fusion drive for injection burn, mass drivers for course correction and orbit insertion. It's gonna be BOSS.

This lets me do landings, exploration and such with the new micro-ships you've just hooked me with with the recent updates. How can I go back to huge cumbersome 3-seaters and hundreds of tons of fuel when I can deploy a viable lander that would fit in a 3.5m fuel tank and can unpack an entire rover from the KAS storage box?

You do amazing work. Thank you very much, you've added countless hundreds of hours of entertainment to KSP for me. It's greatly appreciated.

Awesome :) Glad you are digging the mods

I'm testing the large boosters for how many are necessary for law of large numbers to stabilize them.

Good thing I you can't run out of Kerbals...

http://i.imgur.com/YIj3BW4.png

Need more boosters.

1EC/S = 1MW - ORSX is an ORS fork so we inherit a lot of KSPI terminology which will be normalized soon.

Bleh, coming from KSPI where 1EC/S = 1kW this makes thing confusing at times. But I have started to get used to doing the mental math when I am look at one readout or another.

I think Near Future uses 1 EC/s = 1kW as well, but I don't use it. Just based off a quick look at the reactor configs.

For some (at least to me) unknown reason, KSP seems to hang on loading at KA_Engine_125_02. It doesn't crash, but takes ages until it gets past that point. Currently, that's around 90-95% through overall loading.

Well... Or not... Still not crashing, but doesn't get past that point *sigh*

Edited by cy-one

Bleh, coming from KSPI where 1EC/S = 1kW this makes thing confusing at times. But I have started to get used to doing the mental math when I am look at one readout or another.

I think Near Future uses 1 EC/s = 1kW as well, but I don't use it. Just based off a quick look at the reactor configs.

EC/S conversion is the Viet Nam of KSP.

Is it normal that there is a gap between the top node and the engine of 1.25 and 0.625 Karborundum Fusion Drives?

Bug fixed in next release.

- - - Updated - - -

For some (at least to me) unknown reason, KSP seems to hang on loading at KA_Engine_125_02. It doesn't crash, but takes ages until it gets past that point. Currently, that's around 90-95% through overall loading.

Well... Or not... Still not crashing, but doesn't get past that point *sigh*

That's just odd... normally that means it can't find a module or animation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.