[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

Transfer Window Planner - v1.8.0.0

An ingame implementation of AluxMun's Launch Window Planner WebApp

The Transfer Window Planner is a plugin to let you visualise planetary transfer efficiency in-game. Using it you can select your planet of Origin and planet of Destination and it will present you with details about the required Delta-V to travel from Origin to Destination.

You access the tool by clicking on the Porkchop icon in either the AppLauncher or Common Toolbar - your choice - then follow the instructions in the main window. Once you have selected a transfer you can use the Copy buttons to copy that text to any other plugin or window.

Documentation can be found in the manual below with a range of pics, but heres a pic of the main screen

TWPMainWindow.png

Thanks

• Much thanks to Alexmun for a C# version of his Lambert Solver that is in the WebApp. Without which I could not have brought this together
  • Also thanks to NathanKell for allowing me to pester him about how RSS works :)

Links and further Information

Download from GitHub or Download from Curse or Download from SpaceDock

Documentation/Manual - New and Shiny

Source Code on GitHub

Version History

Network Connectivity Details

This Mod contains a version checker which can be managed and triggered from the About tab of the settings. It is configured to check once a day by default, and this check also can be disabled. The technical details of it are as follows:

DT-OSILogo16.png This work is licensed under an MIT license as outlined at the OSI site

So just to answer a few questions - maybe before they get asked :).

Yes this works for Non-stock Universes - eg RSS. It uses the orbits in game to calculate values and should be fine

Here's the list of what else I want to add in, but we'll see how time (and skill) goes:

• Actual Documentation :)
  • Let you plan a there and back set of burns with a set duration at the destination
  • Ability to create KAC Alarm from this tool
  • Maybe: Create a Manuever Node for the current vessel based on the orbit

Awesome job, but unfortunately this causes terrible performance issues. While the mod is installed I'm limited to <1 fps in any view.

Unfortunately, i experienced the same performance drop, though not that bad, sometimes fps dived to 15~. Awesome job btw, UI feels crispy and looks gorgious! One thing that i didn't like (or find) is ballistic/mid course drop menu, and precise delta v readings like normal/radial/prograde etc.

Very nice! Give you a better understanding of launch windows situation! I like it

Might be integrated in Kerbal Alarm clock but I also have to report a slighlty performance drop, when looking at my moonbase the timer went from green to yellow with mod installed.

Awesome job, but unfortunately this causes terrible performance issues. While the mod is installed I'm limited to <1 fps in any view. :(

I also have to report this; absolutely atrocious performance with this installed :(

KSP x64, Debian Jessie

[Edit] The only thing I can think of offhand after having a look at the code for 5 seconds is that you perform several InputLockManager.GetControlLock() calls every frame whether or not any windows are open. I don't know if they are expensive (on certain hardware/drivers) but if they are it might be worth setting/clearing flags to keep track of the locks instead.

Edited by micha

I like the idea of being able to see this and it's a big step forward. Integration with something which can create a maneuver node will be needed before general takeup though I would think. Ideally you'd be able to drag the point in the plot around to be able to pick a quicker arrival at the expense of dV then click to have a node created. If you can get that working somehow I reckon you'll have yourself another 'must have' mod on your hands ;) Good luck

Great mod, thanks! Used it this morning for the first Duna transfer in my new career save, and it worked perfectly. I like it more than some of the other transfer calculators, because I don't always want the most "optimal" - sometimes I'm willing to give up dV for a better date, or a shorter travel time, and having the full surface plot really makes that easy.

No noticed performance issues on 32bit KSP, Win 8.1. My install is heavily modded (right up to the limits of 32bit). If I were to make a small suggestion, it would be to include more info in the "copy transfer properties" button, such as the dV needed, or to have it call Kerbal Alarm Clock to set an alarm 1d before the selected transfer window.

I've tested it and it's pretty neat.

I do eagerly request that you implement the "no insertion burn" feature and the ability to pick a different transfer type (e.g. ballistic, mid-course plane change) available in the online version. Those annoying red strips in the middle of the transfer windows made it harder to plot nice trajectories.

I was having some serious performance issues with this. In flight, launch, or space EVA, it's fine no noticeable changes. But was doing an EVA on Ike and it was so slow that I could barely control the Kerbal. Once I removed this mod things were back to normal.

KSP 32 bit, fairly modded, Win 8.1 x64, 16 gb ram, nvidia GTX 560Ti, i7 3770 if that all helps any.

Thanks for the feedback peoples.

For the performance issue if I can get some more details that would be ace:

• Does it happen whether or not the window is open?
  • Anyone happy to share a save/logs so I can be in the same situation - less mods is better in this scenario I guess

Now some specific responses

Unfortunately, i experienced the same performance drop, though not that bad, sometimes fps dived to 15~. Awesome job btw, UI feels crispy and looks gorgious! One thing that i didn't like (or find) is ballistic/mid course drop menu, and precise delta v readings like normal/radial/prograde etc.

The mid course correction requires more maths that might be over my head - am planning to look in some spare time. The precise DV Readings I have to shamefully admit I forgot to write em to the screen, but did collect em. Will be an easy fix, but next version sorry.

I also have to report this; absolutely atrocious performance with this installed :(

KSP x64, Debian Jessie

[Edit] The only thing I can think of offhand after having a look at the code for 5 seconds is that you perform several InputLockManager.GetControlLock() calls every frame whether or not any windows are open. I don't know if they are expensive (on certain hardware/drivers) but if they are it might be worth setting/clearing flags to keep track of the locks instead.

Nice spot, I'll rework that code some so the setting is checked before any lock checks as well as maybe using a variable

Great mod, thanks! Used it this morning for the first Duna transfer in my new career save, and it worked perfectly. I like it more than some of the other transfer calculators, because I don't always want the most "optimal" - sometimes I'm willing to give up dV for a better date, or a shorter travel time, and having the full surface plot really makes that easy.

No noticed performance issues on 32bit KSP, Win 8.1. My install is heavily modded (right up to the limits of 32bit). If I were to make a small suggestion, it would be to include more info in the "copy transfer properties" button, such as the dV needed, or to have it call Kerbal Alarm Clock to set an alarm 1d before the selected transfer window.

More details should go in there shortly :)

I've tested it and it's pretty neat.

I do eagerly request that you implement the "no insertion burn" feature and the ability to pick a different transfer type (e.g. ballistic, mid-course plane change) available in the online version. Those annoying red strips in the middle of the transfer windows made it harder to plot nice trajectories.

I will be adding that insertion burn option checkbox, but you can do it by setting a destination of 0km in the meantime (it might say this in the instructions when you first open the window :wink:)

Awesome mod, very sleek. My only idea would be the ability to plot transfers to Asteroids orbiting the Sun as well as Planets.

Thats a cool idea, let me see what I can do with that

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.