[1.12.x] Transfer Window Planner v1.8.0.0 (April 11)

TriggerAu

6 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Wife's got me painting rooms now that I have "spare" time - she just doesn't understand the importance of interplanetary transfer windows in KSP.

I'm pretty sure that you'd have a small army (small means > 2) of painters if it would bring closer the release date :)

21 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

You can always use the tool of MechJeb. It's really precise.

MechJeb is precise, but it only optimizes for flyby intercepts (i.e. optimizing the departure burn). TWP is the only tool I know that can also take into account a capture burn - for some transfers it does not make that much difference, but for something like Kerbin to Moho there is a big difference, as the capture burn is where most of your dV is used - you can save 1000s of dV using TWP transfer windows in this case.

8 hours ago, sinpro said:

It's like say: "you can drink pepsi" 

Sure! But I prefer coke or water instead :kiss:

Don't you go bringing religion into this thread. Let's keep it all nice and friendly, you hear? :wink: :D 

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

I say we pool together and hire someone via TaskRabbit or something similar to paint his house for him.  :wink:

I'm in for $10 if someone puts this together. Dead serious. Totally worth it. 

@TriggerAu I've provided a pull request which updates the GUI for 1.1 (switching from the RenderingManager to just using OnGUI), but I haven't updated the transfer calculations. The in-game transfer graphs are not matching up perfectly with alexmoon's online calculator (although they're very close). It's probably related to KSP API changes between degrees/radians similar to what effected KAC.

4 hours ago, psamathe said:

MechJeb is precise, but it only optimizes for flyby intercepts (i.e. optimizing the departure burn). TWP is the only tool I know that can also take into account a capture burn - for some transfers it does not make that much difference, but for something like Kerbin to Moho there is a big difference, as the capture burn is where most of your dV is used - you can save 1000s of dV using TWP transfer windows in this case.

Not just that, but MJ doesn't accommodate less-than-optimal planning.  If you are playing with any LS mods, time is a factor.  Sometimes you want that sooner window even though it requires more work.  Or sometimes you just want to optimize for travel time rather than energy reqs.  (I may be wrong about this, it's been at least a year since I last used MJ).

Also, it's MJ.  Those who dislike it (me) really don't want it on our screens 24/7 just for launch window planning purposes.

Edited by Sandworm

@nathan1 It looks like you have a somewhat working version.  I do not know what the licence says, nor do I know the forum policies on doing so, but my abilities are insufficient to turn the source with your edits on github into a working mod.  Any chance you can post a link to a compiled copy until the polished version from @TriggerAu is available?

Edited by SteveD80

On 17/5/2016 at 3:29 PM, Nansuchao said:

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I was just suggesting an alternative while this one isn't yet available.

Thanks and nope, you wasn't rude, maybe me, but I also didn't pretend it :wink: so my apologize just in case

On 17/5/2016 at 10:49 PM, TheSaint said:

Don't you go bringing religion into this thread. Let's keep it all nice and friendly, you hear? :wink: :D

Sure! Probably it sounded different in my head (and as atheist I couldn't resist to answer :wink: )

On 5/17/2016 at 7:03 AM, nathan1 said:

@TriggerAu I've provided a pull request which updates the GUI for 1.1 (switching from the RenderingManager to just using OnGUI), but I haven't updated the transfer calculations. The in-game transfer graphs are not matching up perfectly with alexmoon's online calculator (although they're very close). It's probably related to KSP API changes between degrees/radians similar to what effected KAC.

Thanks @nathan1 between your pull stuff and my code its all good so...

v1.5.0 Now Available

Download from GitHub or Download from Curse or Download from Spacedock

Fixed Phase Angles and all the 1.1 goodness with help from nathan. much appreciated

5 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Oh thank Jool. I am on the cusp of launching from Minmus to a low periapsis at Kerbin to eject to Duna, and while I *CAN* do it with stock tools, I'd MUCH rather have something telling me exactly when to go.

I hear the weather next tuesday is supposed to be nice - I'd leave then :wink:

@TriggerAuThanks mate!

Been checking this thread and the related github page every day since the pre-release came out. It's so hard to be patient sometimes... But thanks to KAC being updated so early it made it a little easier to wait-a-while

And to make it even better I just knocked off-work and I have the next 2 days off YAY :)

Edited by merlinux

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Oh thank Jool. I am on the cusp of launching from Minmus to a low periapsis at Kerbin to eject to Duna, and while I *CAN* do it with stock tools, I'd MUCH rather have something telling me exactly when to go.

Wait, does Transfer Window Planner have a way to calculate slingshot transfers too? 

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

Wait, does Transfer Window Planner have a way to calculate slingshot transfers too? 

No, but knowing the date eliminates a lot of the trial-and-error involved in nailing the right periapsis on a minmus-kerbin transfer orbit.

49 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

No, but knowing the date eliminates a lot of the trial-and-error involved in nailing the right periapsis on a minmus-kerbin transfer orbit.

Ah, fair. Even so, a tool to calculate a time for a slingshot transfer would be pretty neat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.