Devnote Tuesdays: The "Notice My Bug Report, Senpai" Edition

SQUAD

My guess is that this is probably related to the issues Porkjet had when he was making those parts for the SpacePlane Plus mod. Apparently there's a bug with the ailerons in the game, where they have to be inserted in unity in a weird orientation for the symmetry to work correctly. Maybe the devs are working on it, trying to fix the issue instead of just circumventing it, and what we saw was result of a work in progress.

I think what they are seeing is the different shaped aielerons that SP+ has. Unlike stock, SP+ has 4 airlerons that fit together to form a shape and the linked picture is using them incorrectly (which in KSP, you really can't be "incorrect", but lack of a better term). Here is a picture of all 4 used together to form a fluid design (the plane on the left) I looked for a better shot but that's the only one I have uploaded at the moment.

EDIT: Removed big image, not needed now.

Edited by Alshain

I think what they are seeing is the different shaped aielerons that SP+ has.

Yeah, I know. Otherwise, we wouldn't even be able to tell there was something wrong with the symmetry, which was what was being discussed.

Edit: what I mean is, we noticed those were the ailerons used, and that's how we were able to noticed the symmetry was wrong. While I'm no the subject, I'm glad to see these are making into the game! I feared they would cut some of the minor parts from SP+.

Edited by Parkaboy

Yeah, I know. Otherwise, we wouldn't even be able to tell there was something wrong with the symmetry, which was what was being discussed.

Edit: what I mean is, we noticed those were the ailerons used, and that's how we were able to noticed the symmetry was wrong. While I'm no the subject, I'm glad to see these are making into the game! I feared they would cut some of the minor parts from SP+.

Oh I went back and looked and I see exactly what you mean now. It does look like the symmetry is backward.

I didn't think they would remove many of the parts (SP+ doesn't have that many to begin with, that's why everyone likes it.) I'm more concerned they will use it to blanket remove all the old parts, especially wings. Some of them could be replaced, but I hope they don't take out the swept wings, I really like those and SP+ doesn't have anything similar. The other 3 wings have analogues in the SP+ pack.

Edited by Alshain

Any chance of having ModuleAnimateGeneric support VAB toggling and sounds? Add those two, and Firespitter-based animations could get some rest. :) I'm really looking forward to 0.25, it looks like some long-awaited fixes and modifications are going to be in. That's gonna make life a lot easier for modders.

Given the screenshot of the plane with the bomb bay doors open and a SRB inside, I'd be willing to bet the animations are VAB toggle-able. How else would he have [reasonably] got the SRB inside the cargo bay if it wasn't open-able in the VAB?

Although I guess it could be "stuck" open in the VAB, but I doubt that given landing legs are already animated/toggle-able, and the cargo bay doors clip into the gear bays in the screenshot, which no self-respecting designer would've settled for had they noticed that pre-flight, so I think he lastly added the gear bays after loading the cargo bay and closed it, and launched without checking the clearance.

Anyway, in short: I think it's a safe bet.

Oh I went back and looked and I see exactly what you mean now. It does look like the symmetry is backward.

I'd bet good money the symmetry issue is the same as what cropped up after KSP 0.24 was released. Porkjet had been playing around with Firespitter's texture switching to get heatshields on the undersides of wings :D. In the SP+ beta, Porkjet forgot to switch the node_attach back to the stock version, so they didn't rotate properly when mirrored.

I didn't think they would remove many of the parts (SP+ doesn't have that many to begin with, that's why everyone likes it.) I'm more concerned they will use it to blanket remove all the old parts, especially wings. Some of them could be replaced, but I hope they don't take out the swept wings, I really like those and SP+ doesn't have anything similar. The other 3 wings have analogues in the SP+ pack.

I hope Hugo redid the rest of the stock wings. The swept wings are more of a Mk. 1 part, but they need some updating, especially so control surfaces can align with them.

I actually suck enough that I can't tell from the two pics where the admin building would be. :(

Good devnotes. They typed the word "Experimentals" up there. Does that mean the HyREDACTED REDACTED REDACTEDed?

Maxmaps is already talking about .26?

Hype is over 9000!

A pool, eh? Perhaps... better water physics? And thus (Maybe) enhanced aerodynamic calculations?

All random speculation.

The HypeTrain should be here soon. *checks watch*

Hype Train will not depart from the station until not only experimentals are out, but the media team releases their videos. This schedule is subject to change, however.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe it's a graveyard.....

Darn, we're studying this like it's the Kennedy assassination or something. Maybe all these are actually nothing, just tricks of the light and such?

We should call it the Rowsdower Picture, like the Zapruder Film. The people with access to 0.25 now must be having a good laugh at us.

Edit: Maybe the thing near the runway is a refueling station. (Has a mod done that yet? A skilled player might never notice it if they always use the launchpad...)

Edit2: I meant 0.25, of course. :D

Edited by Red Iron Crown

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.