Help: Unable to sustain orbit in old saves after reinstall

My game stopped loading so I backed up my saves and deleted local content then reinstalled.

Everything seemed to load fine, but if I switch to a satellite in orbit around Kerbin for example it orbits fine, but if I time warp (max it allows is 5x) it shoots off. It maintains the circular orbit but the entire circle accelerates away from the planet. Then I stop time warp, and my apoapsis is rising like crazy and peri is falling at the same rate. If I try to time warp again I get the message "unable to warp while ship under acceleration" but the engine isn't even on and I can't control the direction at all.

It's as though the planet isn't actually there any more and the ship is orbiting the sun, but in map view it still shows a circular orbit, and is no longer affected by the gravity of the Kerbin, as the planet slowly shoots into the distance.

I initially thought it might have something to do with the planets being in the wrong position for the date in relation to my saves, but the date shows 2 years x days so it's not the default beginning date.

Please help, I've put flags all over the mun, and made successful landing to Duna and Ike, deorbited and E class and landed it next to the VAB and have a huge station in orbit, I'd hate to have to start again. Especially since this is in career mode.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Your Satellite might be clipping too much and generate vibration and accelerate , which produce thrust and go beyond control.

Try off the SAS.

You did not mention any mod install. I presume none.

Is there Satellite is your only problem?

You could always relaunch your Satellite. (Terminate it via the station control).

And welcome to the Forums!

Edited by Sirine

Some one with better computer skills will help you in a minute. One important lesson. Don't get too attached to your saves. An update could break them at any time (soon). Take screenshots of you favorite ships for later reproduction.

And welcome to the Forums!

Edited by Aethon

Probably a persistent file will help understanding what's going on...

I doubt it can be some kind of kraken drive.

Do you use part clipping of any kind?

Are you sure there is no kind of propulsion? (Ion drive with a fuel tank that is no longer connected to the probe core, but is still accelerating counts)

If you will provide the save file, please state the name of your sattelite, where it is situated (Orbiting Kerbin, Orbiting Mun, Transfer orbit, suborbital), and what parts it consists of, if possible.

Thanks for the welcomes.

I'll post up some pictures and some good vehicles I have made in the future.

Anyway, It happens with my small satellites , which are only a small probe, xeon, ion drive, 4 solar panels, negative gravity detector and satellite dish. I have mech jeb installed, but it happens to anything in orbit even without the mech jeb component.

I can't time warp at my space station as it's huge, I'd have to guess somewhere over 1500 tons. Any time warp and it folds in on itself.

Edited by Swof

;1409777']Probably a persistent file will help understanding what's going on...

I doubt it can be some kind of kraken drive.

Do you use part clipping of any kind?

Are you sure there is no kind of propulsion? (Ion drive with a fuel tank that is no longer connected to the probe core' date=' but is still accelerating counts)

If you will provide the save file, please state the name of your sattelite, where it is situated (Orbiting Kerbin, Orbiting Mun, Transfer orbit, suborbital), and what parts it consists of, if possible.[/quote']

You posted this right when I posted my previous comment.

There is no intentional part clipping. Mech Jeb is isntalled, but the problem continues when I time warp with something without the mech jeb module. I'm sure the is no kind of propulsion.

I'll upload my save somewhere and post back in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Does it do that if you close the game, start it again, and then go straight to that satellite? Or did you fly some mission before that, perhaps using the Claw part? Claw is known to sometimes cause problems (internal data corruption) with similar effects to what you describe.

Are you using any mods, including perhaps some that have not been updated for 0.24.2?

I tried a few things, and no it didn't have the claw, and I switched any object orbiting kerbin or other planets all of which worked in the past but all of them lost orbit, some quite large so not physicsless parts, unless the core module was changed during my reinstall.

I tried modifying my saves to no avail.

But it turns out I had made a backup of my saves only a day before my reinstall, I just put them in my KSP folder including my persistence file and everything works great again.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I have no idea what the issue was but it's solved now. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.