katateochi

KerbalX.com - craft sharing site with Auto Mod Detection and Search-By-Mod feature

781 posts in this topic

Yeah...  and I get points...  AND?

2 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

and I get points...

That's it. Up to you to give it any kind of value or significance you want.

Feel good, or bad, or blasé about them. Watch how they develop or try to glean some sort of indication of what crafts/techniques gets more points, or what day of the week is the best to publish a craft, or whether the phase of the moon has any relation.

Or you could ignore them entirely and silently shake your head at anyone who even gives them more than a passing thought.

The points won't care what you decide to do with them. They're just there, adding up. Or not. :wink:

1 person likes this

OK, so no real relevance then, that's fine... I was just curious since they occupy a rather prominent area of my profile.  Thought I was missing something, or they played into the popularity rank or something.  Can't see where I'd ever down-vote anyone though.  LOL, unless they just blatantly repost your craft or something stupid.

@XLjedi I put the points system in because it felt like something that was needed, and I'd hoped it would take off a bit more than it has, but it seems KerbalX users are quite stingy with giving out upvotes, or perhaps there are just a few users who upvote things but the vast majority just ignore that feature.  So with that there isn't much that I can do with them.  The main thing points do is on a per craft basis enabling craft to be sorted by "popularity". Popularity is a factor of views, downloads and points with the download count having the most impact.  As far as users go they don't really do anything as users aren't ranked except for the top 10 list, but that is entirely to do with the number of craft uploaded.  The one thing having points enables is being able to downvote; downvoting someone else's craft will cost you 5 of your own points, but as you say there is very little call for craft to be downvoted (I think it's happened only a handful of times).  It's there to provide a less severe option to reporting a craft (if someone was to repost one of your craft, which is against the KerbalX rules, then reporting it is the right way to go anyway).

1 person likes this

Thanks kat-ochi, I was curious about whether or not they factored into the popularity rank in some way.  Also interesting to hear that a down vote would actually be more punitive to give than receive. I noticed the prominence of the point count in my profile, and I was actually thinking along the lines of maybe there was a reward for some level achieved?  ...like you could buy badges or achieve a rank or something like they do on certain other sites.  (not suggesting you add that feature, your site is great as-is)

14 minutes ago, katateochi said:

@XLjedi I put the points system in because it felt like something that was needed, and I'd hoped it would take off a bit more than it has, but it seems KerbalX users are quite stingy with giving out upvotes, or perhaps there are just a few users who upvote things but the vast majority just ignore that feature.  So with that there isn't much that I can do with them.  The main thing points do is on a per craft basis enabling craft to be sorted by "popularity". Popularity is a factor of views, downloads and points with the download count having the most impact.  As far as users go they don't really do anything as users aren't ranked except for the top 10 list, but that is entirely to do with the number of craft uploaded.  The one thing having points enables is being able to downvote; downvoting someone else's craft will cost you 5 of your own points, but as you say there is very little call for craft to be downvoted (I think it's happened only a handful of times).  It's there to provide a less severe option to reporting a craft (if someone was to repost one of your craft, which is against the KerbalX rules, then reporting it is the right way to go anyway).

Seems obvious to me why people don't use the upvote more...  there's a selfish motivation to not upvote/promote others if it means raising their work above your own. 

Edited by XLjedi

1 minute ago, katateochi said:

Sorry for the slow reply! been away for a couple weeks. 

That's an interesting idea, wouldn't be straight forward though.  Would you want to be able to say "has mod X but not mod Y"? Just having it work to exclude a set of mods shouldn't be too hard, but having it able to include some while excluding others would be tricky (both from an implementation (keeping search fast) and and interface point of view).  I'll think about it. 

Just being able to say crafts that do not use mods X and Y will be good enough for my use case.