KSP random freeze / lockup computer (Linux/Ubuntu)

---- KSP Version ----

64-bit Linux

build id = 559

2014-07-25_12-26-00

Branch: master

---- Detailed Explanation ----

KSP display suddenly freezes at no particular moment. Current sound file continues to play until completed. All keyboard input and mouse clicks are captured by KSP, so no recovery of system is possible, and a hard reset is required. I have had several of these crashed while using heavily modded versions of KSP. Mostly these occured in the VAB, but also one while controlling a craft in orbit around Kerbal. I created a brand new install from the download zip file in order to start trying to track down what I expected was a faulty mod, launched it, adjusted configuration slightly and started a new sandbox game. It got to announcing that time was passing at 1x speed, the birdsong started up, the loading widget in the bottom right froze, and I had to reset my computer again.

These crashes seem pretty random to me. They have mostly occurred just as I was changing my viewpoint in the VAB. So I can't really describe the steps to reproduce it.

I wouldn't mind the game crashing so much if it didn't lock up the keyboard and mouse so badly. I've got other stuff running in the background on my computer, and file corruption is a possibility.

---- Logs / hardinfo ----

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5zv0zjc1hq47cv/Player.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vcd99l0jty6tee/persistent.sfs?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y99xz5rxf8hhzz/prefs?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrp6d9uh5h4spi9/hardinfo_report.html?dl=0

I've searched for information about this, and while I find a bunch of threads with similar titles on Google, when I follow the links, I keep getting a message about being unable to view the threads due to access restrictions. (I assume they've been archived due to old versions?)

Can you use CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch to console when this happens?

Also, if you activate the CTRL-ALT-Backspace key (read the Ubuntu Wiki if you don't know how) does it work.

Alt-Tab should also still work, because KSP does not capture that.

It seems your Ubuntu version is really out of date. You probably should update to the latest version of Ubuntu LTS. This might solve your issue.

The AMD Proprietary drivers do not play well with older X11 versions, such as those that ship with Ubuntu 12.04, even using the LTS driver update packages.

No, Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (which I do have enabled) and Alt-tab do not work. Mouse clicks on my second monitor also go unheeded. Even a short press on the power button does nothing. (Should initiate a system shutdown through init) The reset button on my computer (or physically disconnecting power) is the only way to recover.

Can you really call a currently supported LTS version "out of date"?

Sounds like I may have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the new LTS. I've been holding off, since Ubuntu has an annoying habit of breaking things in major upgrades.

I'm afraid that won't help you I do got the latest version of Ubuntu, 14.04 LTS and I have started to get systematic crashes every time I enter an hanger. The computer crashes so hard that only REIBUS works to reset it.

I have played the game on Ubuntu before without any problems so I'm guessing this is some kind of regression if there has been problems before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.