How best to recover after a game crash or Kraken attack?

Hello, so my game gets assaulted by the Kraken from time to time. I am pretty sure it's due to memory issues or that I screwed up the install on the latest cool mod. I'm wondering how do you pros deal with recovering to a "last" save to limit having to redo a bunch of things?

Here is my situation. I made a big beautiful (to me) Mun station. Every so often it decides to explode in a ball of glory (not neccessarily this station specifically but others too) when I switch to it and then timewarp. I usually am good at quicksaving randomly, but this time I was not. Is there a trick you guys use to avoid "auto-saving" and just reloading the last auto save? I feel I've done it a couple times on accident maybe, as I didn't lose much when I reloaded. This time I have a choice to reload the last auto-save which loads me just after the explosion or something that is several hours prior and 2 rendezvous and dockings later. Not a big deal but still it takes quite some realtime.

My current best idea is to only switch ships via Kerbal Alarm Clocks "Jump to Ship" which saves every change. That doesn't seem ideal for say my satellites that I just leave orbiting places for several weeks at a time.

So, what do you guys do?

Edited by J3ansley

Quicksave, often. If need be, do a mod+F5 and name them so that you can have different points to recover to. When that happens though and things just explode, just do a quickload...

FYI, I too had issues with gigantic stations and ships exploding when timewarping and loading until I installed this -> Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

Does wonders. When you come out of timewarp or when you load the station, it disables physics and then slowly brings it back up so things don't suddenly explode when physics kicks in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.