Do you know, how to stop crashes from happening?

bartekkru99

Most of you, veteran players tried out some mods. some of you have loads of mods and as you know installing too many mods make your game crash almost every fricking time you change secenery (from VAB to launchpad, or from space to tracking station etc.). Do you know any good way to reduce their freqency? It's a little pain to play with 35 different mods.

You need a mod called Active Texture Management, it will make KSP take slightly longer to start up buy can reduce memory usage by 1-2GB. Th reason it crashes is because KSP is hitting the 3.3/3.4GB memory allowance that 32-bit program's have, which will cause the crash, so ATM will help with this, see link here!

If you still have problems after installing that mod, post again. If so, do you run the game on Steam?

Edited by Random Tank
Added link

You need a mod called Active Texture Management, it will make KSP take slightly longer to start up buy can reduce memory usage by 1-2GB. Th reason it crashes is because KSP is hitting the 3.3/3.4GB memory allowance that 32-bit program's have, which will cause the crash, so ATM will help with this, see link here!

I'm using it already )=

My mod list
1. Parts
- B9 Aerospace 1
- BDArmory 2
- KW Rocketry 3
- KSP Interstellar 4
- D12 Aerotech 5
- KAS 6
- Space Planes Plus 7
- Kerbal Foundries - Wheels and Repulsion 8
- RLA Stockalike 9
- Station Parts Expansion 10
- Procedural Fairings 11
- Procedural Dynamics 12
- Infernal Robotics 13
- Turbo Nisu Parts Pack 14
- Near Future 15
2. Realism and better graphics
- Active Texture Management 16
- Envirovmental Visual Enchancements 17
- Astronomer's Visual Pack 18
- Ferram Aerospace Research 19
- Deadly Re-Entry 20
- Remote Tech 2 21
- SCANsat 22
- Distant Object 23
- Chatterer 24
- Hot Rockets 25
- TAC Life Support 26
3. Others
- KerbTowm 27
- KSC++ 28
- Persistent trails 29
- Docking Port Alignment 30
- Part Catalog 31
- Fine Print 32
- SH MK2 Cockpit 33
- Research Them All 34
- Trajectories 35

If you are running the 32 bit version you can also force openGL which will save you about 1GB of ram. to do this create a shortcut and then open the properties window and in the target line add -force-opengl to the end of it. Also, if you have lots of parts mods that add fuel tanks you can delete parts from mods that are redundant. (Like I have PParts and PFairings so I delete anything that has a fuel tank or a fairing)

Currently running 90+ mods at just over 2GB of memory usage.

Here's some advice:

1. Force KSP to use OpenGL. As the other posters said, it'll save you about 1GB of ram. If you're using Steam right click, go to Properties and click (on the first tab) Set Launch Options, you can put "-force-opengl" without the quotes in there.

2. If you're using Windows or Linux, try using the x64 build of the game. It's a separate executable in the KSP root folder, and can be launched via the Launcher executable.

Here's some advice:

1. Force KSP to use OpenGL. As the other posters said, it'll save you about 1GB of ram. If you're using Steam right click, go to Properties and click (on the first tab) Set Launch Options, you can put "-force-opengl" without the quotes in there.

2. If you're using Windows or Linux, try using the x64 build of the game. It's a separate executable in the KSP root folder, and can be launched via the Launcher executable.

Be warned though that the windows x64 is notoriously unstable.

Be warned though that the windows x64 is notoriously unstable.

There has been work done to reduce the instability, the best one so far IMHO is to convert all images inside your KSP folder into .PNG files, especially from .TGA...

I`ve run mine overnight since doing that.

Damn... You might some success forcing the game to use OpenGL (guide here), some users (including me) found it can reduce memory usage considerably, but some suffer from FPS drops... Try it and see!

90+ mods? I recommend to use part catalog if you heven't downloaded it yet, it removes the mess in vessel assembly process.

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2014 at 10:53 AM, John FX said:

There has been work done to reduce the instability, the best one so far IMHO is to convert all images inside your KSP folder into .PNG files, especially from .TGA...

I`ve run mine overnight since doing that.

I just looked in the game files. No TGAs to be found... only DDS files. should I mess with them?

13 hours ago, Andem said:

I just looked in the game files. No TGAs to be found... only DDS files. should I mess with them?

No, when I posted that over a year ago all the images in the game were stored in .TGA format but an update after that changed all images to .DDS

12 hours ago, John FX said:

No, when I posted that over a year ago all the images in the game were stored in .TGA format but an update after that changed all images to .DDS

Thanks. I have 5 mods installed (maybe?) and leaving the VAB or the SPH crashes it every time. ;.;

10 hours ago, sarbian said:

You should create a new thread with all the asked info instead of using one for 2014 which is confusing (sorry @John FX)

No problem at all, it`s why nercroposting in threads is frowned upon.

Makes me remember when you brought out the .DDS loader and everyone had to convert their images to get decent load times (thank you for that, it was great at the time and well needed. Probably made Squad change their format)

On 12/23/2015 at 9:29 PM, Joshwoo69 said:

@Andem how much Ram in your computer is there? and what OS are you using?

I'm using windows 10, and My computer has 4 GB of ram. By reducing some of my graphics options I made the SPH and VAB very, very fast, but the physics run at about 3 fps now...

10 minutes ago, Andem said:

I'm using windows 10, and My computer has 4 GB of ram. By reducing some of my graphics options I made the SPH and VAB very, very fast, but the physics run at about 3 fps now...

4GB of RAM is nowhere near enough for KSP. Since your computer reserves 1GB for OS functions, you're left with only 3GB for KSP, which is a recipe for disaster as you'll quickly be hitting the RAM limit. With that aside, what's your CPU? KSP is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive due to the requirement for lots of physics-based calculations and the fact that the physics engine can only use 1 core, so you'll need a powerful CPU to run big ships well.

14 minutes ago, FCISuperGuy said:

4GB of RAM is nowhere near enough for KSP. Since your computer reserves 1GB for OS functions, you're left with only 3GB for KSP, which is a recipe for disaster as you'll quickly be hitting the RAM limit. With that aside, what's your CPU? KSP is more CPU-intensive than GPU-intensive due to the requirement for lots of physics-based calculations and the fact that the physics engine can only use 1 core, so you'll need a powerful CPU to run big ships well.

My CPU is kinda pathetic. I'ts an i3-5005 CPU.

With ~50 flights running, KSP 64bit on Linux (heavily modded) runs about 6.1GB.  That should give you an idea of how pointless it is to try and run KSP 32bit with more then half a dozen mods.  And these days, ATM causes more problems then it solves since most mods and Squad moved to DDS textures.

(I switched to Ubuntu Gnome a while ago now, mostly to run KSP 64bit.  But since 1/3 of my Steam library runs in Linux, I haven't bothered to switch back.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.