Bill is very cynical...

Frannington

My secret hope is Dres becomes the future parking orbit of our system's asteroid belt

Oh come on now! I've only just got KSP running nicely with all the detail and mods. I do not need my CPU being beaten up with millions of Dres fragments after you crash into it. ;)

Dres is so boring. They should add a moon or at least an easter egg (maybe there already is, and we just never found it :confused:).

Hello, I am a Dres advocate and I find your comment extremely offensive. Dres is NOT boring! It has the longest and deepest canyon of ALL the celestial bodies in the Kerbol system! None of the other planets even have such a distinct and memorable geographic landmark!

Now I leave to your shame for saying such a despicable thing about Dres!

​If you take this seriously you might to check if you have your "humor" add-on installed.

Lol.

As for Dres, with any luck an art pass will improve it a bit. I move that Squad do this after the Dawn spacecraft reaches Ceres; at the moment Dres is in the unenviable position of being based on a real-world object we have no detailed images of!

Though I think it'll still be kind of like the Mun, but much more hassle to get to. That may be a good thing, since the niche of hard-to-get-to and hardish to land on is filled by Moho.

Hello, I am a Dres advocate and I find your comment extremely offensive. Dres is NOT boring! It has the longest and deepest canyon of ALL the celestial bodies in the Kerbol system! None of the other planets even have such a distinct and memorable geographic landmark!

​If you take this seriously you might to check if you have your "humor" add-on installed.

I also like that undervalued rock, perhaps we should form the "Dres Appreciation Society"!

I was actually scribbling up a version of http://xkcd.com/681/ using my absolutely stunning, spectacular, amazing, provocative and COMPLETELY non-existent art skills, and couldn't control myself:

Please note the label for Dres.

I love this. Did you use Randall's algorithm for it, or is it something you calculated and rendered on your own?

I love this. Did you use Randall's algorithm for it, or is it something you calculated and rendered on your own?

I used Randall's algorithm, at least the one in the picture for 681 (basically GM/g0*radius). I made a really rude and hacky perl script that gave coordinates for the top and bottom lines necessary to draw the planets and their muns. Hopefully there weren't any serious mistakes in it. I intend to polish it up and make it configurable in case someone wanted to draw a better, larger version (that one is 1280x800, or the resolution of my older laptop), at which point I'll be doing a lot of checking. A quick check using Earth's values showed that it was within a tenth of a percent of the number Randall used.

I looked for an existing one prior to doing this, but couldn't find any. I couldn't figure out why there isn't one. I just don't know where to post it now hehe.

Oh come on now! I've only just got KSP running nicely with all the detail and mods. I do not need my CPU being beaten up with millions of Dres fragments after you crash into it. ;)

Other have more powerful systems: activate deathstar in close air support mode.

Yes, still Dress should have something beside the canyon as feature.

I also like that undervalued rock, perhaps we should form the "Dres Appreciation Society"!

I concur! For too long has Dres been overlooked by space programs as a "boring dwarf planet". They need to know of Dres' true beauty!

Yes, still Dres should have something beside the canyon as feature.

Perhaps it should, but that canyon is the largest/most impressive geographical feature in the Kerbol System. If you add anything more to Dres, it just might completely outshine all the other planets in its interesting-ness.

I'd kind of like to see a common-barycenter binary planet (is that even possible? Maybe just a close moon will do if not, but I'd like a Pluto-style system) on Eeloo, but if Dres is so boring, maybe that could be our binary dwarf planet! Of course, you would either have a double-Dres or an Eeloo twin orbiting Dres. The only other thing that would make sense is a Gilly-esque potato moon.

I'd kind of like to see a common-barycenter binary planet (is that even possible? Maybe just a close moon will do if not, but I'd like a Pluto-style system) on Eeloo, but if Dres is so boring, maybe that could be our binary dwarf planet! Of course, you would either have a double-Dres or an Eeloo twin orbiting Dres. The only other thing that would make sense is a Gilly-esque potato moon.

I *guess* it would need to be cheated: the "planet" is an untargeteable, no mass, invisible object which has two "moons" orbiting around it. Since you can't land, detect or otherwise see the "planet", it would look like a binary planet

I *guess* it would need to be cheated: the "planet" is an untargeteable, no mass, invisible object which has two "moons" orbiting around it. Since you can't land, detect or otherwise see the "planet", it would look like a binary planet

I was thinking kind of the same thing, but it would involve either non-spherical or overlapping spheres of influence (which could be interesting, but might be hard to implement).

It is possible to add binary planets or nonspherical planets, but they would be just visually interesting. Their physics would be very far from realistic, because current physics engine does take just one point mass like gravity field into account at a time. All the interest of binary system would be maneuvering in a complicated gravity field.

It would be possible, and probably not very difficult (if it is well programmed), to modify physics engine to handle many body gravity, but so far Squad have told very clearly that they will not do it in foreseeable future and it is not allowed even to ask it.

I was thinking kind of the same thing, but it would involve either non-spherical or overlapping spheres of influence (which could be interesting, but might be hard to implement).

I think you can't make overlapping SOIs with the current physics model. I was thinking maybe something like this

30207t0.jpg

The phantom center would act like a sort of Lagrange point, but I don't know if such a thing would resemble something physically accurate

The planets would rotate around the phantom center, I didn't add the orbits elipses

I concur! For too long has Dres been overlooked by space programs as a "boring dwarf planet". They need to know of Dres' true beauty!

In my opinion Dres's true beauty is eccentric and inclined orbit. It gives a variation in launch windows and possibilities to more interesting out of plane orbits. I would give more deviation to inclinations of all planets.

Perhaps it should, but that canyon is the largest/most impressive geographical feature in the Kerbol System. If you add anything more to Dres, it just might completely outshine all the other planets in its interesting-ness.

Canyon is topographically nice, but suffers from old simple textures and lack of small scale details like all bodies except Kerbin and Mün. I hope that Squad would concentrate to planets instead of KSC as soon as possible and Dres's canyon will surely be one of my highest priority target after an art overhaul.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.