Mermaide 1 - a Copenhagen Supraorbitals product

Rp

Hi I'm RP

I'm a big fan of the real life rocketeers: copenhagensuborbitals (CS) and a secret board member of their support group / money people and geek club network CSS.

Just re-did the standard booster and liquid engine in Supraorbital spirit ;) More fun and dangerous in every way:

* Hamlet Liquid Engine update*

Added a more potent and more greedy liquid engine based on the standard skin and setup.

*LM correction*

- Yeah. LM version had too much thrust....

*LM update*

- Long March update: now a longer burn time, that doesn't have to much thrust compare to standard/1 version which will not fit on side by side setups stable.

*ST update*

- Added a Small Thrust version for 4x, 6x and such attached booster setups, more stable but only 40% Thrust. Still more than basic solids though.

*update 0.8*

- Added original model credentials, a little weight and fine tuning.

• 1 month later...

This is very interesting, I've never heard of Copenhagen Suborbitals before, but they seem like they're getting quite a bit done. SpaceX is another company like this that has actually gotten several rockets into orbit, and it would be very interesting to see a Falcon rocket modeled. I'll check this out

This is very interesting, I've never heard of Copenhagen Suborbitals before, but they seem like they're getting quite a bit done. SpaceX is another company like this that has actually gotten several rockets into orbit, and it would be very interesting to see a Falcon rocket modeled. I'll check this out

Copenhagen Suborbitals is the real life Kerbal Space Program. What they are doing is, at first sight, quite mad. I mean, they actually plan to launch that 'homemade' rocket with a guy inside at some point.

Yet I cannot find anything obviously bogus in their plans. In theory, what they are trying should work... :o

I guess they also have a real-life Jeb lined up for it.

You're right. It seems insane that they're doing it on a shoestring and with no real potential customer to support them, but... looking at their designs, it should work!

Assuming, of course, that they don't end up running out of money and having to abandon the project (which would be a tragedy). The failure they had on June's test flight is something that can be solved; NASA has had lots of parachute failures in various tests before getting the design right, and they even had one parachute on Apollo 15 'streamer.' (Which, of course, is why Apollo used three chutes when two would have sufficed--just in case.) I hope they keep at it, because this is the sort of 'shadetree mechanic' enthusiast work that leads to unconventional solutions that end up becoming industry standards because they work better and/or cost less. (Not to mention I support anyone who wants to move space flight into the private sector, so that it's not a government bureaucracy-controlled thing... but that's my 'free-market small-government' side talking.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.