[1.7.3] Exploration Rover System by A.S.E.T. v0.3 (04.08.19)

alexustas

àUniversal Mount ò тõúущõù ÑÂñþрúõ ýõт? çтþ тþ Ñ ÑÂтþù ÷ðÿчðÑÂтø ýõ ýðшõû :(

that's normal, check OP.

Ok, thanks for the answer :)

By the way, i've some huge difficulties to manage the wheels properly in the editor :huh:

Edit: the video in the OP helps to understand how to set it properly ^^

And my first impressions are absolutely excellent: fast, excellent stability, awesome modular design ! Definitively the rover I was looking for.

Is there a reaction wheel inside one of the parts ? When i activate the SAS (button T) the stability seems to be improved at high speed, especially during the jumps.

Edited by ndiver

update ERS v 0.2 :

• option to select cabin's on-board flag and three user-selectable flags on starboard side has been added
  • user-selectable flags on both sides of Crew Module has been added
  • optional node in the center of the Service Module has been added
  • after connecting something to the aft node of Service Module new mount node has appear.

• New parts:

• ASET Universal Mount - an analogue of stock 'BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point' with omni-decoupler functions, which can be attached radially and to the stack

• ASET Grapple Fixture - micro-docking port, which can be attached radially and to the stack

• ERS Docking Port - 1,25 m foldable docking station, which can be attached radially and to the stack

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edited by alexustas

Once you've experienced lo-fi's individual-wheel suspensions and anti-roll systems, as well as the variable turning rates based on wheel positions and the crawler steering... well, any other wheel no matter how cool looking will ever compete...

Why have I decided to use Firespitter.

"Goodies" FSwheels

1. a lot of players use Firespitter already or have other mods using Firespitter.dll, which means they already have the necessary plugin

2. I have plan to use the module FSAnimateGeneric (part of Firespitter plugin), as the main animation module in ERS, as well as in PRC and KONQUEST.

3. Firespitter has a good documentation on configuring modules

4. Firspitter maintained and developed constantly by the developer

5. customizable Steering Multiplier

6. speedAdjustedSteering function

7. wheels folding action has automatically added to the standard GEAR action, which means there is no need to use a custom action group

8. folding-unfolding of wheels are available in VAB

9. wheel motor is turned off in the folded state

10. we have an ability to change the suspensions parameters by editing the CFG, and not in Unity

11. Unity's setup is similar to the stock wheels, no need to rework

12. wheels status indication (brakes on / off, deploying, disabled)

"Cons" FSwheels

1. need to manually configure the control

2. There is no function of wheels failure

3. no ability to adjust suspension in the game

About Kerbal Foundry Wheels.

I love this mod, it's great that it is focused to the creation of the rovers (unlike Firespitter, which is primarily focused on working with aircrafts landing gear). developers are doing a great job! But I have decided not to use (right now) it in the ERS, because:

1. I do not know where its documentation is.

2. this mod has a WIP status, but I'm using one crucial plugin that very WIP already, (we are talking about JSI PartUtilities). I think that two critical WIP-plug in one fashion can create a lot of problems for the players.

3. If I understand correctly, it is necessary to alter the Unity setup for the wheels if Kerbal Foundry Wheels acts. this is not a problem and I'll do, but I need more information (look at the first paragraph)

If cool things like (see paragraphs 5.6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 of the list of "pros") will be implemented in the Kerbal Foundry Wheels and detailed documentation will be available, I am happy to make a version of the wheels for this plugin !

Why have I decided to use Firespitter.

"Goodies" FSwheels

1. a lot of players use Firespitter already or have other mods using Firespitter.dll, which means they already have the necessary plugin

2. I have plan to use the module FSAnimateGeneric (part of Firespitter plugin), as the main animation module in ERS, as well as in PRC and KONQUEST.

3. Firespitter has a good documentation on configuring modules

4. Firspitter maintained and developed constantly by the developer

5. customizable Steering Multiplier

6. speedAdjustedSteering function

7. wheels folding action has automatically added to the standard GEAR action, which means there is no need to use a custom action group

8. folding-unfolding of wheels are available in VAB

9. wheel motor is turned off in the folded state

10. we have an ability to change the suspensions parameters by editing the CFG, and not in Unity

11. Unity's setup is similar to the stock wheels, no need to rework

12. wheels status indication (brakes on / off, deploying, disabled)

"Cons" FSwheels

1. need to manually configure the control

2. There is no function of wheels failure

3. no ability to adjust suspension in the game

About Kerbal Foundry Wheels.

I love this mod, it's great that it is focused to the creation of the rovers (unlike Firespitter, which is primarily focused on working with aircrafts landing gear). developers are doing a great job! But I have decided not to use (right now) it in the ERS, because:

1. I do not know where its documentation is.

2. this mod has a WIP status, but I'm using one crucial plugin that very WIP already, (we are talking about JSI PartUtilities). I think that two critical WIP-plug in one fashion can create a lot of problems for the players.

3. If I understand correctly, it is necessary to alter the Unity setup for the wheels if Kerbal Foundry Wheels acts. this is not a problem and I'll do, but I need more information (look at the first paragraph)

If cool things like (see paragraphs 5.6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 of the list of "pros") will be implemented in the Kerbal Foundry Wheels and detailed documentation will be available, I am happy to make a version of the wheels for this plugin !

Ears must have been burning - I happened to look into you thread just as KF came up in discussion. Thanks, glad you like what I'm doing :D

Very wise: as you say, it's still work in progress and changing fast, so not really suitable for anything at full release stage. Documentation will happen, but there isn't much point until it's feature complete which will be a little while yet. Shout if you do want some reference stuff to muck about with, though, I'm more than happy to share some Unity scenes/models and configs and talk you through it as-is. You don't have to make changes to wheel rigs in Unity for the KF plugin - I can run stock parts just fine without the stock ModuleWheel, for example.

I'm working on most of the feature set at the moment; damage is next and actually quite easy. Folding (retract or whatever you want to call it) is well on the way too. Little while yet until it's anywhere near as feature rich as FS, but I suppose I've been working on different tricks :) It is absolutely my intention to make the plugin config as easy, flexible and open as possible so other devs, like yourself, are able to use it like FS.

Great work, I love the modular approach and your IVA's are particularly stunning with all the RPM goodness. Some really cool stuff going on at the moment.

Cheers for the props, Gaalidas!

Edited by lo-fi

i cannot get the rover to move i am using the usual keys w.a.s.d. to move but the rover does not move can anyone point me in the right direction oops had the old firespitter dll

Having the same problem. There are no action group options in VAB for the wheels if that helps. Any help? What info do you need to trouble shoot?

The new one linked below seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks! Beautiful BTW.

Okay, so it fixed the problem with the wheels not responding, but now any launch of just a rover and the wheels are stuck in the pavement. I've tried on the launchpad and the runway. Any ideas?

Running latest, redownloaded to be safe. No joy. I can get it to go from the VAB launchpad, but not the runway. I think it may be something to do with the wheels, on the runway they don't turn like normal, they lean from side to side instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.