Custom Parachutes by Red Dawn Studio (Update #2)

Hellfire

While waiting for decals to be invented, the Kerbal Space Command commissioned Red Dawn Studio to produce a wide range of custom designs for the Mk16 parachute with the intention of making repeated aborted missions more stylish and safe arrivals home more celebratory.

Thought I would have a go at creating some fun reskins of the Mk16 parachute. These should all work as seperate items, so you'll be able to mix and match them however you like.

Click to Download:

oUipf.png bSwS9.png Y1M41.png fibEq.png

4BDPe.png 79dIG.png hhq6F.png xl12R.png

What? No American flag version? *feigned indigence* ;P

Those are really slick.

Well done Sir.

I just might try my hand at this, it looks like the texture is fairly simple, correct?

Cheers!

Skunky

Yup, only problem I haven't figured out yet is how to align the rim with the central piece, as I think both parts have slightly different proportions and that the central piece isn't a perfect circle. That's why I haven't deviated too much from the original pattern, but if someone made a template that would be awesome :P

Yup, only problem I haven't figured out yet is how to align the rim with the central piece, as I think both parts have slightly different proportions and that the central piece isn't a perfect circle. That's why I haven't deviated too much from the original pattern, but if someone made a template that would be awesome :P

That particular line of polygons has been poly-reduced and rotated, so it doesn't line up correctly at all and is a different poly-count. It's matched to the ropes-section instead in the UV. It'd need it's UV edited to get round that. It's something that I might be able to do, but UV is not my strongsuit...

You can see the problem here:

Ok, I fiddled with the UV on the canopy, base, etc and have about nailed it... now you can paint in a single circle to cover the entire 'chute...

Only there's a snag. I've no idea why - I've checked and rechecked the orientation, I've double-checked the config file... it just doesn't want to work quite right. I've attached the file anyway, in-case someone can figure out what's gone wrong. And a screeny, so you can see what I mean (and yes, I verified that the default chute works fine, even at the same time as this one fails).

To clarify - the chute deploys upside-down. It lands just fine - the chute sinks gracefully through the floor.

Ok, I fiddled with the UV on the canopy, base, etc and have about nailed it... now you can paint in a single circle to cover the entire 'chute...

Only there's a snag. I've no idea why - I've checked and rechecked the orientation, I've double-checked the config file... it just doesn't want to work quite right. I've attached the file anyway, in-case someone can figure out what's gone wrong. And a screeny, so you can see what I mean (and yes, I verified that the default chute works fine, even at the same time as this one fails).

To clarify - the chute deploys upside-down. It lands just fine - the chute sinks gracefully through the floor.

Nice work! If we could figure out the orientation thing I'd definitely use it. You probably tried this already, but what happens if you flip the default orientation 180 degrees?

Nice work! If we could figure out the orientation thing I'd definitely use it. You probably tried this already, but what happens if you flip the default orientation 180 degrees?

Exactly the same thing! It was the first thought to pop into my head!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, haven't been active with KSP for a few weeks due to being busy with some other projects :) Going to have a download of the new version, make the fix Luckz suggested and then have a go at some new designs. If you have any more requests, feel free to post them and i'll see what I can do.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.