Fun Facts

Skyler4856

Fun Fact: If you were to hypothetically fold a piece of paper in half 103 times, it would end up being wider than the observable universe.

My mind right now:

tumblr_m76utnXIK01qcmibao1_250.gif

I'm sorry, I can't come up with anything because I've got to wrap my now-liquefied brain around this statement....

Fun Fact: If you were to hypothetically fold a piece of paper in half 103 times, it would end up being wider than the observable universe.

Are there even enough atoms in there to do this? Assuming a reasonably sized piece of paper, something like A4 or Letter, not some country sized sheet.

Okay, I don't mind mud.

Fun Fact(s): The USS Constitution was not the first ship to have the nickname 'Old Ironsides', the HMS Britannia which fought at Trafalgar in 1805 was given the nickname long before the Constitution was built.

At the Battle of the Saintes between Britain and France, the copper sheathing on the British ships made them a lot quicker than their French counterparts. The French admiral said it that the French navy was operating a full century behind that of the British.

Are there even enough atoms in there to do this? Assuming a reasonably sized piece of paper, something like A4 or Letter, not some country sized sheet.

Not remotely.

2^103 = 1.014E+31

Assume paper is 0.1mm thick, that's 1.014E+27 meters

A carbon atom is about 150pm in diameter, so that's 6.76E+36 atoms

Divide by Avogadro's number, we get 1.123E+13 moles of carbon.

Multiply by carbon's atomic mass, we get 1.349E+14 grams of carbon.

Which is about 135 million metric tons of carbon. A very big sheet of paper, indeed.

Getting into complex physics I see. Let me try:

Fun fact: light technically travels at an infinite velocity, but general relativity makes a meter infinitely short and a second infinitely long, so relative to the light beam the universe seams infinitely stretched in the direction that the light is traveling in and it also get's emitted and absorbed in the same instant because at that speed, time makes no sense. An instant for light is an eternity for everything else and an inch for you is an infinite distance relative to light. General relativity (all of physics really) is weird.

I know.

Fun Fact: Sharks are older than trees and grass, having evolved over 420 million years ago. They saw the rise and the end of the dinosaurs, however during this massive time span, only one species has been at the very top of the food chain. Carcharocles Megalodon.

Sharks are cool, and they are adaptable, and living undersea is a good way to not become extinct when Earth gets hit by a big rock.

Fun fact: It 'snows' metal on Venus, which leads to bright radar signals and probe deaths. The atmospheric pressure at the surface is roughly equivalent to being under 3,400 feet of water. The winds on the surface aren't too high, but the pressure would make it impossible for a human to stand up without being blown over. The longest that any probe has ever survived in the Venusian atmosphere was the Vega 2 balloon (which was awesome, and nobody's heard about it), for about two days. The longest that anything has survived on the surface was the Venera 13 spacecraft, for about two hours.

Never go to Venus. It's not a friendly place.

Neat.

The plastics and fossil fuels we use today are not, in fact, made from dinosaurs, but from plants that lived in the Carboniferous period 500 million years ago - they had actually already turned into oil before the first dinosaurs ever appeared. So in a sense you can still "save a tree" by conserving plastic bags.

I like prehistoric stuff.

Fun fact: The HMS St Lawrence was the only RN ship of the line to serve only in fresh water, she immediately gave the British uncontested control of Lake Ontario as the American navy had no ship that could match the firepower of the St Lawrence.

She never saw any action, her presence on Lake Ontario detered the US fleet from setting sail.

That is fun, I found that rather interesing.

Fun Fact: When the HMHS Britannic (882 feet) sank, she was in water that was shallower the ship's length (the water depth was just 400 feet, so shallow that she can be seen from the surface in good light), this meant that her bow crumpled against the seabed while her stern was still protruding from the water.

• 4 weeks later...

Fact: Space is big.

Fact that you probably didn't already know: Simula was the first object oriented language, though it was not commonly used commercially. Luckily, someone liked what they saw with it, and intergrated objects into C. The resulting language was called C++, and is still being used today.

(source), the reason I trust it is because it has an .edu domain. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.