"Das Dunaprojekt" or Duna von Braun Style -- Now with SCIENCE and Finance!

19Bh9zll.jpg

"Das Dunaprojekt" or Duna von Braun Style

In 1946, just a short time after leaving Germany and heading to the United States to help develop the American space effort to reach the moon, Wernher von Braun had already started sketching out his first ideas towards a manned mission to Mars called "Marsprojekt". In this very early concept, there were a great many things that were unknown at the time. Factors such as performing interplanetary rendezvous and dealing with the unknown Martian atmosphere and surface all needed to be addressed. For von Braun, Mars exploration would have to wait until the Moon had been conquered.. but he did not forget about his grand Martian vision.

Eventually, after successfully landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth, von Braun pitched his latest idea for manned Martian exploration one last time. By this time, von Braun had refined his plans for a trip to Mars and had a firm grasp on how to build heavy lifters and what was required for manned space flight.

zmars69a.jpg

--Concept Vehicles from "Von Braun Mars Expedition"

Mars Mission Profile

• Summary: Final NASA/Von Braun design for a manned expedition to Mars using nuclear thermal rockets.
  • Propulsion: Nuclear thermal
  • Braking at Mars: propulsive
  • Venus swingby: yes
  • Crew: 12*
  • Mars Surface payload-metric tons: 5*
  • Total Payload Required in Low Earth Orbit-metric tons: 1452*
  • Total Propellant Required-metric tons: 1088*
  • Propellant Fraction: 0.74
  • Mass per crew-metric tons: 121
  • Number of Launches Required to Assemble Payload in Low Earth Orbit: 6
  • Launch Vehicle: Saturn V-25(S)U
                *Based on two spacecraft

The "Von Braun Mars Expedition (1969)" was a feasible plan for Martian exploration employing advanced technology such as the NERVA nuclear rocket engine and using orbital assembly to construct the Mars transit and return vessels. Von Braun also saw the need for reuse and thus designed his mission so the only expendable component was the Mars Excursion Module used to visit the planet's surface.

This challenge attempts to capture von Braun's "last stand" at trying to get his Martian dreams off the ground.

UGW4qvDl.png

Mission Hardware

Primary Propulsion Module (PPM): NERVA powered propulsion stage designed for interplanetary operations. Featuring robotic controls and docking capability, two PPM's are attached to a central PPM and are used to depart Earth. Once the departure burn is complete, the two PPMs will undock and return to Earth orbit for refit and refueling.

Planetary Mission Module (PMM): With room for 6, an EMM landing vehicle and supplies for 12 (backup support for twin PMM on other vessel), the PMM is the primary research platform for the mission. The PMM also contains the probes for Mars and Venus.

Earth Entry Module (EEM): Manned spacecraft module for re-entry at extreme velocities from manned interplanetary missions. The Earth Entry module is capable of returning six crew and a metric ton of samples safely to earth from interplanetary missions at re-entry velocities of up to 18 km/sec.

Mars Excursion Module (MEM): The MEM has enough room for three crew to land and perform Mars surface exploration. This two-stage lander employs parachute/aerodynamic means to slow down then jettisons the parachutes and performs a powered descent to the surface. Once the surface mission is complete, the ascent stage will carry the crew back to the orbiting PMM.

edit:
I found this very high quality PDF scan of the original von Braun presentation for the early 80's Mars mission that this challenge is based on:

Manned Mars Landing Presentation to the Space Task Group (von Braun, 1969)     Mirror

Mission profile clarification
Although the von Braun mission profile defined flying two nearly identical missions to Mars, having to fly the same mission twice simultaneously may favor those using mods and really doesn't demonstrate any more skill than doing it once. Only a single PPM/PMM/MEM/EEM mission to Duna is required for a challenge submission.

XQG006Fl.jpg

-- Nuclear Shuttle/Transfer Stage

Challenge Details

Scoring on this challenge will be based on:

1. The net cost of the entire mission from low Kerbin orbit (LKO)
  2. Efficiency of your mission based on the payload's propellant mass-fraction and mass per crew into LKO
  3. (optional) Net Science points scored from Duna and Eve only (not even their moons)

While the original von Braun plan used 6 launches of a Saturn V-25(S)U, any number of launches may be used to get the mission into orbit, as only the LKO mass counts towards scoring.

Cargo/life support: Each vessel to Duna orbit must depart LKO with a fixed dead-weight mass. This mass must remain with the vessel until Duna orbit and must not be a resource that is consumed. Once in Duna orbit, up to 1/2 of the PMM cargo mass may be jettisoned. The MEM (Mars Excursion Module) also has a cargo/life support requirement. It may be either left on Duna or carried back to orbit with the returning crew.

Mission Profile:

• Crew: 6
  • Braking at Duna: propulsive (no aerobraking around Duna)
  • Cargo* on PMM: 12t (up to 6t may be jettisoned before departing Duna)
  • Cargo* on MEM: 3t (can be left on descent stage or carried back to orbit)
  • Eve flyby: Yes (on Kerbin return leg)
  • Eve probes: 2 (landers or orbiters)
  • Duna surface return probes (MSSR): 2
        *Note on cargo: Use of the 'ore' resource is ideal. For example, using four of the 'Small Holding Tank' filled with ore adds 12t (not including container). Stock KSP includes the function to 'jettison' ore contents making it an easy way to handle ditching 6t before departing Duna orbit. Alternately, using ore with the small holding tank and jettisoning the entire tank can be done with a lower ore amount on the spacecraft. Similar results can be achieved for the 3t cargo on the MEM by using four of the 'Radial Holding Tank's.

Vessel configuration:

The vessel to Duna requires:

• PMM with room for 6 crew
  • Two (2) PPMs which separate and return to LKO after Duna injection burn is complete
  • One (1) PPM which remains with the PMM to provide Duna orbit insertion burn and Duna -> Eve -> Kerbin return burn
  • Duna/Eve transit PPM must return safely to Kerbin LKO independently from the returning EEM's recovery on Kerbin
  • MEM with room for 3 crew to land on Duna and return to the PMM in orbit
  • EEM with room for 6 to land on Kerbin from interplanetary transfer
  • Minimum two (2) Duna surface return probes (a probe which lands and re-docks with the PMM)
  • Minimum two (2) Eve probes: 2 (orbiter or lander)

pNvKOm8l.jpg

--MSSR - Mars Surface Sample Return Proposal

Differences from the von Braun Mission Profile

• Only one mission to Duna needs to be flown
  • The MEM needs only to support three crew back to the PMM
  • The design of the Kerbin LKO departure 'booster' PPM can have a lower ∆v than the PPM which travels with the PMM
  • Only two (2) of each Duna and Eve probe is required
  • The EEM is the version which employs heavy ablative shielding and can re-enter from interplanetary velocities
  • There is no ballute in KSP at this time. Use standard chutes for the aerodynamic phase
  • The original plan placed the PMM into an elliptical orbit around 'the Red Planet'. This is not required, but the same ∆v benefits that von Braun proposed can be gained around Duna

Rules

• This challenge is aimed at stock parts KSP only. This is for general balance and approachability reasons
  • Stock and mod entries acceptable but scored separately
  • Engineering assistance mods are OK
  • Fly the mission yourself. Do not employ any automated flight assistance as this challenge is about flying and mission design
  • All vessels must be launched from KSC
  • Low Kerbin Orbit (LKO) is considered less than 180km Ap.
  • All chutes on the MEM must be cut/jettisoned at 3km above Duna's surface during descent (hint: use IVA radar altitude)
  • Powered descent only below 3km above Duna's surface
  • MSSR: Surface sample return probes must land and return to the PMM. Each successful MSSR must be returned to the PMM with at least its docking port and a probecore
  • PMM cannot aerobrake around Duna. Only the probes, MEM and recovered EEM may employ aerodynamic deceleration
  • The PPM which travels to Duna, Eve and back to Kerbin must re-enter Kerbin orbit (PMM may be discarded).

Scoring

There are four leaderboards:

1. Cost of mission in LKO (lifters are "free") including all fuel, payload and crew
  2. Propellant mass fraction as calculated by: Mass of Total Propellant Required (fuel + oxi + monoprop)/ Mass of Vessel in LKO before Duna transfer burn
  3. Mass per crew as calculated by: Mass of Vessel in LKO before Duna transfer burn / 6 (total crew)
  4. (optional) Science points scored from Duna and Eve only. World's First Record science points count, where applicable. If World's First science points are scored anywhere else, these do not count.

BhMucTz.png

Leaderboard:

Mission Cost

1. [1.4.5] DBowman - 83,537
  2. [1.2.2] Death Engineering - 204,907
  3. [1.2.2] michal.don - 242,969
  4. [1.7.0] Speeding Mullet - 293,809
  5. [] borisperrons - 306,188
  6. [1.4.5] jinnantonix - 325,602
  7. [0.26] Death Engineering - 361,979 
  8. [1.8.1] Death Engineering - 430,239

Propellant Mass Fraction

1. [1.7.0] Speeding Mullet - 0.372
  2. [1.4.5] DBowman - 0.372
  3. [1.8.1] Death Engineering - 0.422
  4. [1.4.5] jinnantonix - 0.435
  5. [] borisperrons - 0.439
  6. [1.2.2] Death Engineering - 0.444
  7. [0.26] Death Engineering - 0.467
  8. [1.2.2] michal.don - 0.563

Mass per crew

1. [1.4.5] DBowman - 9.599
  2. [1.2.2] Death Engineering - 16.277
  3. [1.4.5] jinnantonix - 17.03
  4. [1.8.1] Death Engineering - 19.379
  5. [1.2.2] michal.don - 30.03
  6. [0.26] Death Engineering - 30.53
  7. [1.7.0] Speeding Mullet - 33.0975
  8. [] borisperrons - 37.225

Science points (scored from Duna and Eve only)

1. [1.4.5] jinnantonix - 20,578 !!!    <- Can this even be beat?  :cool:
  2. [1.2.2] Death Engineering - 2668.4
  3. [0.26] Death Engineering - 2208.6

zmem69b.jpg

--MEM Crew Heading Back to PMM

Useful tools:

tl;dr

do this

edit: added version number.
       Update to challenge - "World's First" Science points count, where applicable, for Duna and Eve only.

Edited by Death Engineering
updated lizardboard

Very retro vibe, I like it.

This 'alternate history' mission seemed a good basis for a challenge because of the unique mission profile; definitely a 60's space program concept! :)

Love it so much, I did it a few months ago! :D

http://imgur.com/a/p7NTW

I didn't meet all these criteria though, for one thing, there's a lot of KW Rocketry going on... :(

Amazing effort, though! Thanks for sharing your mission. :cool:

Eh, I'd want to participate but the all stock is putting me off.

Agreed.

• This challenge is aimed at stock parts KSP only. This is for general balance and approachability reasons
  • Stock and mod entries acceptable but scored separately

Awesome challenge, I will have to give this a go not too far into the future! (Messing around with ideas for my next Jool-5 attempt, and this seems like a very good in-between step...)

I'm gonna hazard a guess and think cosmetic mods are allowed (things like KAC, Texture replacer and those types) but if I were to have mechjeb installed then I would be breaching one of the rules... how about if I have mechjeb, but only use it in VAB to calculate dV?

Awesome challenge, I will have to give this a go not too far into the future! (Messing around with ideas for my next Jool-5 attempt, and this seems like a very good in-between step...)

I'm gonna hazard a guess and think cosmetic mods are allowed (things like KAC, Texture replacer and those types) but if I were to have mechjeb installed then I would be breaching one of the rules... how about if I have mechjeb, but only use it in VAB to calculate dV?

Sure, cosmetic mods are OK, and mechjeb too for engineering purposes. I think some of the bigger challenges in this mission are the Kerbin-return PPM and propulsive Duna braking, which I hope gives the mission (and the challenge) some unique points. Auto pilot kinda detracts from that. Looking forward to your progress! :cool:

You can count me in on this. I don't know when i'll find time to complete it, but i'll certainly try. (i'm thinking stock sounds good)

Yeah, I totally had stock in mind for my attempt when reading von Braun's proposal. Willkommen bei der Herausforderung! :)

[*]Two (2) PPMs which separate and return to LKO after Duna injection burn is complete

[*]One (1) PPM which remains with the PMM to provide Duna orbit insertion burn and Duna -> Eve -> Kerbin return burn

This is becoming too complex to wrap one's head around. Could you draw a scheme of what goes where, please?

That's a lot more clear! Thanks! The only unclear thing are abbreviations. Could you make a list of them?

PMM = ?

PPM = ?

EEM = eve exploration module? (apparently not)

MEM = mun exploration module?

MSSR = ?

PMM = Planetary Mission Module

PPM = Primary Propulsion Module

EEM = Earth Entry Module (Should be KEM?)

MEM = Mars Excursion Module (Shoud be DEM?)

MSSR = Mars Surface Sample Return (Should be DSSR?)

Thanks, Cmdr. Arn1e! :)

Also, brief descriptions and links to each mission module on "Encyclopedia Astronautica" can be found in the OP in the "Mission Hardware" section (using the original 'M'ars abbreviations for consistency).

Officially registering interest in this challenge, and I think Death Engineering my first foray in to one of your challenges! I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'd expect my entry to be overly complex and take an eternity, but have beautifully engineered aspects (and probably some absurdity) to it. I'm struggling in finding useful images to base my design from other than the ones referenced. Is there anything else you can point me towards picture wise that I can reference for accuracy in individual mission components?

SM

Officially registering interest in this challenge, and I think Death Engineering my first foray in to one of your challenges! I'm very much looking forward to it.

I'd expect my entry to be overly complex and take an eternity, but have beautifully engineered aspects (and probably some absurdity) to it. I'm struggling in finding useful images to base my design from other than the ones referenced. Is there anything else you can point me towards picture wise that I can reference for accuracy in individual mission components?

SM

Hello and welcome to the challenge! :cool:

The more complex and period-appropriate design, the better! How about this beauty:

zQLhwzwm.jpg

Some other resources I perused while developing the challenge:

Dear goodness, I think I'm having more fun and spending more time reading all the awesome stuff to research this, and then you go and post moe things to read :D

I'm in the planning phases of a Jool-5 attempt at the moment, but I want to give this one a go as well... So you might end up with some pictures to use at least, depending on what I come up with :wink:

Thanks for posting the extra resources it was a huge help, and as Cmdr. Arn1e says, made for excellent reading.

I think I've got the module containing my probes down now. Honestly I'll have to post a screen shot, it's got to be one of the most complex components I've ever designed. You are forcing me to new heights with this challenge, and I am particularly pleased with my handy-work!

Just so I can be clear, each ship needs two separate containers of six - one for the PMM, and another for the EEM, correct? So space for 12 in total (not including the MEM of 3) or 15 counting the MEM?

Thanks

SM

Dear goodness, I think I'm having more fun and spending more time reading all the awesome stuff to research this, and then you go and post moe things to read :D

I'm in the planning phases of a Jool-5 attempt at the moment, but I want to give this one a go as well... So you might end up with some pictures to use at least, depending on what I come up with :wink:

Yeah, von Braun was definitely a "special case" in defining the human experience. Highly charismatic with a contagious enthusiasm, modest and respectful, and successful with the ladies, while possessing a finely tuned and largely self taught understanding of rocketry and space travel.

Thanks for posting the extra resources it was a huge help, and as Cmdr. Arn1e says, made for excellent reading.

I think I've got the module containing my probes down now. Honestly I'll have to post a screen shot, it's got to be one of the most complex components I've ever designed. You are forcing me to new heights with this challenge, and I am particularly pleased with my handy-work!

Just so I can be clear, each ship needs two separate containers of six - one for the PMM, and another for the EEM, correct? So space for 12 in total (not including the MEM of 3) or 15 counting the MEM?

Thanks

SM

Looking forward to seeing your design. :cool:

Regarding the mission, the intent is to send two identical craft on the mission to 'the red planet' with enough reserve supplies and ÃŽâ€v that neary any failure could be accounted for and still provide a safe recovery for all 12 crew involved. In KSP, we can't "cram" 12 kerbals into a 6 crew landing pod.. yet (engineers are working 'round the clock).

However, I did battle with the challenge requirement to fly two parallel, identical missions. Then again.. it's only out to Duna, Eve and back so why not. :)

Each vessel to Duna requires these six modules:

• PMM with room for 6 crew
  • Two (2) PPMs which separate and return to LKO after Duna injection burn is complete
  • One (1) PPM which remains with the PMM to provide Duna orbit insertion burn and Duna -> Eve -> Kerbin return burn
  • MEM with room for 3 crew to land on Duna and return to the PMM in orbit
  • EEM with room for 6 to land on Kerbin from interplanetary transfer

[*]Two (2) PPMs which separate and return to LKO after Duna injection burn is complete

This is the bit I'm struggling to get my head around... you even said "However, I did battle with the challenge requirement to fly two parallel, identical missions." - to me, the same problem comes up with the two PPM's that stay in orbit... whoever manages to get both back within LKO before one or the other exits the SOI is a winner to me!

Can we maybe have this as 'bonus points'? After reading some of the meaterial you provided, I noted that the PPM's would be 'discarded' (Terrible waste of rocket parts/funds!), but would be much easier to recover them from Sun orbit when they pass back by Kerbin, probably half-way through the mission... or maybe some extra scoring system for our soutions to this problem?

Of course, those using KAC would be at an advantage here as they get the reminder to switch ships when they approch SOI change or a maneuver node, otherwise it would be very easy to miss the apropriate timings to do it...

Looking forward to seeing your design. :cool:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: Oh that's odd spoilers severely crop the image so you are not seeing half of the module!

Each vessel to Duna requires these six modules:

Thanks for the clarification. I suppose if the engineers ever do figure out the 12 into 6 thing, then my ships might not have to be so obscenely long :confused:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.