Black screen whenever I open KSP.

Bought KSP yesterday on the steam sale, opened fine(windowed), changed to full screen and now it just freezes whenever I open it. Tried removing settings.cfg, opening with the launcher, changing settings with the launcher and tried reinstalling twice, nothing worked.

3670k/gtx 780

Edited by FearMe

try reinstalling your graphics drivers. Also, if you have not yet done a clean install like tobjv has recommended, then do so. Attempt running KSP in several different modes, i.e. windowed, fullscreen, fake full screen. I'm not sure the command to run it in fake fullscreen, so maybe someone will be helpful enough to fill that gap for me :D

Hope this helps,

ToTheMun

One other thing to try, since you aren't providing logs and it's hard to tell what's going on.

Edit your settings.cfg file and change the texture quality line to read TEXTURE_QUALITY = 1 (or even 2 or 3).

Beyond that, we really do need more information than "KSP is giving me a black screen." Log files, when it's freezing, what operating system, etc, etc. We aren't trying to be jerks, but there's a LOT more info that keeps us from randomly guessing and telling you the wrong things.

Cheers,

~Claw

Not clear why fullscreen is not working for you, anyway to set windowed mode you need to have "FULLSCREEN = False" within settings.cfg (should be line 53). That is what would be with the settings.cfg if you could set windowed ingame or with the launcher. And if you want borderless window, add -popupwindow after the command line to start KSP (e.g. "..../KSP.exe" -popupwindow).

Yeah, what Diomedea said.

I run borderless window all the time now at max resolution. It looks just like full screen but doesn't cause as many problems when you ALT+TAB away. The only downside is that you can't minimize the window very easily, and it likes to pop back up.

Cheers,

-Claw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.