numeric presentation of reputation

One look at the top bar and I can see exactly how much founds and science I have available .. But my reputation? It's wild guessing. That grey/yellow/green bar has no information value!

There's no hover tooltip (playing 64bit Version here) either .. After each completed mission objective, one has to go to the administrative building and check if one has finally enough reputation to start that science boosting strategy.

Yep, with strategies implemented some numbers would help. At the moment it's wild guessing and it's hard to define the value of a strategy if it costs a fixed number of rep while the amount I have is shown as a bar <- thats the case with agressive negotiations

I've found a way of hacking the reputation value. In the strategies page, I clicked on the Unpaid Research Program (under Science) and then adjusted the slider at the bottom right of the page.

A commitment level of 90% is equivalent to 925 reputation points and the big green tick is still highlighted.

A commitment level of 95% is equivalent to 963 reputation points and the big green tick is dulled.

Therefore I have between 925 and 963 reputation points. This roughly tallies with the green|blue|blue stripes slider top centre of the page.

This, however, does not tally with Mission Control. I went into the archives tab and summed all the reputation points in the completed sub-tab (I had no failed or cancelled contracts) and I have a reputation points value of 3309.

How 3309 got turned into 925-963 is not obvious to me yet.

I believe there are actual values for reputation within the bar.

Bottom line reputation needs two things

1. clarification about values. This is important for the adminstration boosts. As they require direct values.

2. Streamline of usage. Right now reputation does nothing but open up Administration programs. Kill a million kerbals no biggy you still don't lose the game.

Bottom line Reputation as a whole needs some tweaking as its very vague compared to the other two major resources of Career. Simply put it should be more important than science. Generally I see Science as tech progression, Funds and ammunition and Reputation as LIFE itself in any game comparison. So run out of Reputation, or have it to low and you should LOSE the game. This all will come in due time and im sure the Devs will have another direct look at reputation, until then its a bar. That means something.

Unless KSP is counting boosts on Kerbal-Booster page (or whatever the latest kerbal social media site is), I don't think it makes sense to represent reputation as a number. I would rather see reputation listed as a qualifier such as: infamous, bad, unknown/neutral, liked, well-known, established, industry-leader, influential, legendary, etc. Furthermore, this seems to be a logarithmic scale (add a zero to go up a level), not linear. I suspect that's what Squad was going for with a colored tape/meter, instead of a straight numeric readout. Reputation being what it is, it should perhaps affect the chances of certain strategies working, instead of being a hard requirement/prerequisite (i.e. you can try harder/invest more but with diminishing returns).

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.