Space Kraken?

Budgie

Excuse my ignorance, but Ive hunted around a bit and found discussions on it, but nothing like a good definition. I assume its something that messes up your trajectory in deep space, but thats about it I cant say I go out far past my home, so Ive never experienced it.

I hope you fine ladies and gents can help me out? :)

Excuse my ignorance, but Ive hunted around a bit and found discussions on it, but nothing like a good definition. I assume its something that messes up your trajectory in deep space, but thats about it I cant say I go out far past my home, so Ive never experienced it.

I hope you fine ladies and gents can help me out? :)

That\'s about it, to be specific, it is odd forces on your ship that should not be there.

Guest GroundHOG-2010

Basicly, as you go farther away from the center of kerbin, strange forces act on you ship. Someone has called it the deep space kraken, so the name has stuck. It has been found to be caused by the games physics engine PhysX, which comes apon problems at 9000m/s, so is therefore not deep space at all. PhysX can also be linked to the reason we don\'t have N point calculations, and therefore no legrange points at L1 and L2, and the transitions between the mun\'s gravity and kerbins gravity (sudden switch over instead of a smooth transition.

2422937294_ccc67352bd.jpg

Something like this?

Anyway, back on topic, I guess I knew more than I thought.. Is it something that can be fixed, or something we have to deal with by using PhysX?

HarvesteR has supposedly defeated the Kraken for the most part. Not sure which version it was or will be patched in.

He posted somewhere around here that he had defeated it and gave an explanation.

Cheers!

Capt\'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

You don\'t have to go far from home to see the effects of the space kraken. Even in orbit around Kerbin, the kraken will sometimes push your nose away from your desired heading, making navigation a pain in the ass sometimes.

A ship with radially connected parts is more likely to experience the Kraken\'s tender embrace, a single stack craft is often able to navigate near normally in deep space.

Decoupling radial parts can get rid of the Kraken or at least reduce the effect to manageable proportions.

Space Kraken has been attributed to a Physyx issue/bug.

It was always known as a bug that would make your ship randomly spin/flip about in deep space or long missions.

But it turns out that when you reach speeds over 9000m/s (insert Vegeta 9000+ meme), the physics engine breaks down and causes this bug.

The reason it was thought to be deep space is because you really only reach these speeds when you enter the Kerbol SOI; Kerbin revolves around Kerbol at ~7,000m/s so changing your orbit can easily bring you over 9,000m/s

You don\'t have to go far from home to see the effects of the space kraken. Even in orbit around Kerbin, the kraken will sometimes push your nose away from your desired heading, making navigation a pain in the ass sometimes.

The reason your apparent heading changes in respect to the nav ball is because your craft maintains it\'s heading relative to the stars and not your position around Kerbin. This is true for craft that orbit Earth as well. In order to maintain an attitude relative to Kerbin/Earth, a craft must constantly make small adjustments.

Arrr!

Capt\'n Skunky