[0.90] DDSLoader 1.9 (Mar 9) - Loads DDS Texture "Boringly fast" edition

sarbian

CaptRobau: sorry for delay. Spot on, only exception is planets with oceans, where you want DXT5+mipmaps because the alpha is used for specularity (i.e. white (->shiny) ocean, black (->matte) land), although you can also use DXT1 with no alpha for shiny-everything.

Thank you guys for the awesome work you've done on this mod and the DDS converter by Lilleman. I can't believe the results : I'm now able to play with every single mod I've always wanted to install, except this time I can have all of them together. B9, KW, huge texture patches with TextureReplacer...It works flawlessly and I only had to tweak some settings for about half an hour in order to get some toolbar buttons and stuff added to the exception list (some don't show up or appear in a weird way after the DDS conversion).

Just so you know how much I owe you : I use so much mods that the game crashed to no end after the 0.90 update ; I spent countless hours tweaking the whole thing, without success. I had invested so much time in this ordeal that I eventually gave up playing altogether. You managed to make my game running again, so thank you very much everyone involved. This is KSP's future :)

I just tried this along with the DDS converter. Unfortunately, my results were less than spectactular.

First off, my system is Windows 7 64bit, 16 gig memory.

KSP 32 bit, 0.90

I have over 70 mods installed, 65 of then through CKAN.

With ATM, after starting and going into the Tracking station, memory usage is about 2.9 gig

With this mod, after running the DDS converter, memory usage was about 3.5 gig. Also, in the tracking station view, the icons on the planet for locations of missions were square blocks, as were the dots which were going around the orbits of the available satellite contracts. It then crashed when I tried to load a ship in the VAB

I reverted the DDS conversion, removed the mod and memory went back to normal Loading the same ship in the VAB, memory went up to about 3.3 gig.

One note: I had ATM installed and running for a while before I found this. So, one question is, should I delete all the ATM textures first, then install this and then put ATM back in?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

For the the DDS converter to work properly with .90 you need to add two line to the config file

Squad\PartList\SimpleIcons

Squad\Contracts\Icons

As for the ATM comparison it has not not meaning without some info on the config you used. If ATM was launched with half rez you can of course expect some memory save.

Also I'd like to remind everyone that DDSLoader can use the ATM exception config to save more space by making more texture read only.

As I said in ModuleManager thread I now have a full KSP install that I use for mod dev that loads in less than 15s with converted texture and my last MM patch that speedup loading. That's all I need since I more or less gave up actually playing with mods until we get a stable x64 version for windows.

For the the DDS converter to work properly with .90 you need to add two line to the config file

Squad\Contracts\Icons

As for the ATM comparison it has not not meaning without some info on the config you used. If ATM was launched with half rez you can of course expect some memory save.

Also I'd like to remind everyone that DDSLoader can use the ATM exception config to save more space by making more texture read only.

As I said in ModuleManager thread I now have a full KSP install that I use for mod dev that loads in less than 15s with converted texture and my last MM patch that speedup loading. That's all I need since I more or less gave up actually playing with mods until we get a stable x64 version for windows.

Oh wow!

I just deleted the ATM cache, reran the converter with the 2 lines you mentioned above, and now my memory usage is only 2 gig!!!!!

Only problem now is (this is minor) the Squad icons are blurry, see the 2 pictures below:

Regardless, thanks for responding so quickly.

What is the ATM exception config?

This one shows the blurry site icons:

o2sxpc23lb70fhwzg.jpg

And this one shows the orbit icons:

s5quobr59n4vuzwzg.jpg

Regardless, thanks for responding so quickly.

What is the ATM exception config?

Boring day at work.

The config are all the cfg files installed by ATM in GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/

This one shows the blurry site icons[...]

I can't see them behind the evil workplace proxy but I guess those are the pointy icons ?. If you still have ATM installed it may have re-sized them. Or the converter did, but it should not since they should be in one of the two line you added the the config file.

Check the content of Squad\Contracts\Icons . if they are in DDS then something went wrong with the converter. If not then it's your ARM config.

Or I am missing something.

Boring day at work.

The config are all the cfg files installed by ATM in GameData/ActiveTextureManagement/

I can't see them behind the evil workplace proxy but I guess those are the pointy icons ?. If you still have ATM installed it may have re-sized them. Or the converter did, but it should not since they should be in one of the two line you added the the config file.

Check the content of Squad\Contracts\Icons . if they are in DDS then something went wrong with the converter. If not then it's your ARM config.

Or I am missing something.

I'll do that when I get home, thanks.

Re. the config files, I'm a little dense today :-)

You said "Also I'd like to remind everyone that DDSLoader can use the ATM exception config to save more space by making more texture read only."

How?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Gaaah!!!

This is driving me up the wall!

I installed ddsloader in another install, virtually identical to the one I was doing earlier.

This is using KSP 32 bit, ATM Aggressive. No customizations made to any config file.

A simple load using ATM uses about 2.9 gig of memory.

Ran the dd4ksk.exe on the gamedata directory, deleted the texturecache of ATM. All icons, etc seem to be OK, but it's using 3.2 gig of memory. If I remove ddsloader without undoing the dds conversion (ie: so very few pngs are there), it only uses about 2.4 gig

So for this one, it looks like the DDSloader loads about .8 gig of data.

To summarize:

Normal load with ATM Aggressive: 2.9 gig

Load with DDSLoader, have NOT run the dds4ksp yet: crashes (too much memory usage

Removed ATM, ran dds4ksp:

Folder infos :

MBM files count : 764

TGA files count : 217

PNG files count : 1763

Backup files count : 0

-----

Used default settings

Memory usage after this was now about 3.2 gig

Reinstalled ATM (made sure texture cache was empty), ran ksp and exited, then ran it again (to make sure that whatever ATM was compressing wasn't causing issues because of the compression). Memory usage now was: 3.15 gig

I know this works, but am beginning to wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions?

Just have the config file present in their original place. DDSLoader reads them and use them so see which texture to mark read only to save some memory.

So to actually make the textures read only I need to explicitly create an ATM config file for each folder that I want that to apply to? DDSLoader does not make them read only by default and uses ATM config files for exceptions?

Edit: Had a look at the src. I have to define exceptions, aight.

Edited by whiteout1911

linuxgurugamer: ATM aggressive re-size the texture so I am not surprised that it uses less memory.

whiteout1911: Yes, and that's why I used ATM config file so you have a log of config already done.

linuxgurugamer: ATM aggressive re-size the texture so I am not surprised that it uses less memory.

whiteout1911: Yes, and that's why I used ATM config file so you have a log of config already done.

OK, but doesn't the conversion to dds also make the images smaller? the default option in the DDS4KSP.exe has options for the format.

I've encountered my first hiccup... Every now and then, maybe every 10th or 12th load of the game, it will load most of the way through and then "hang" the loading screen on a squad texture (seemingly random so far). KSP-AVC is still clickable, the loader just hangs.

Closing out ksp.exe and starting it again usually always works fine for another 9-11 loads of the game. Any thoughts?

Squad\Contracts\Icons

I am having the similar issue mentioned by rottielover. 64bit linux. This is happening every time i try to load so far on the unpaid intership icon. I was wondering what exactly you meant sarbian with your post above? How exactly should this be added? I have a feeling I am doing that wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Made my first 0.90 runs with this after converting my textures this evening ... even with my usual mod load, nothing squeaked over 2.7Gig used, without ATM:Aggressive in. Several hours play with multiple ships and not a single crash.

This is fantastic, thank you Sarbian :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen it requested several times, so I compiles the osx64 binary and set up the tree and put it in a zip archive. To use, just unzip into your KSP install folder or any folder and run dds.py.

It will work run from any folder if you point dds.py to your KSP install.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5r29b8kt3p8nnau/img2dds.zip?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

Got two issues (KSP 0.90 32b, openGL, win7, DDSLoader 1.8 default cfg):

- assembly version mismatch:

Mod DLLs found:

Assembly-CSharp v1.0.0.0

DDSLoader v1.7.0.0

- textures loading exception:

Load(Texture): Kerbice Group/landglider/glider-lights-diffuse

UnityException: LoadRawTextureData: not enough data provided (will result in overread).

at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:LoadRawTextureData (byte[])

at DDSLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS.LoadDDS (System.String path, Boolean keepReadable, Boolean asNormal, Int32 mipmapBias, Boolean apply) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DDSLoader.DatabaseLoaderTexture_DDS+<Load>c__Iterator0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto(IEnumerator)

UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)

:MoveNext()

This tex was created using:

nvdxt.exe -file glider-lights-diffuse.tga -dither -output glider-lights-diffuse.dds -RescaleBlackman -quality_normal -nmips 5 -Blackman -dxt1c

(no alpha channel)

targa textures load more or less (ie: when KSP/Unity is in a mood of loading these textures) as they should.

I didn't see anything in 1st post which may shows one of the nvdxt's option used is wrong/not managed.

(-Blackman is for mipmap filtering)

And using "-quality_normal -nomipmap -dxt1c" options only works.

(what's weird is the loaded texture, which is not the main object diffuse tex, "override" it ??? Guess it's another KSP/Unity issue)