KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

I tried your EVE configs for Astronomer's pack, and they seemed to work okay. I still saw a little bit of z-fighting

I've spoken to Astronomer about that. He has a fix for it coming in the next release, so as soon as that's out I'll update 64k with the new files. Jool was really bad which is why I turned off most of the cloud layers. Eve and Kerbin are not so bad so I've left them in. Better atmospheres seems to be the other big EVE config, I'll see if we can support that as well.

Paul, I'm glad you're taking this on. Universal Storage is a core mod in my install now, and I've always loved the 6.4x resize. (*tips hat to regex*) I'd love to see AJE, Kerbal Construction Time, and several others also playing nice together with 64x. I've not done much work as a KSP modder but I'm starting to get into using modulemanager, so I might see if I can get some things to work together that way.

I've been told Transfer window planner and Protractor will both work with 6.4, I need to test that to make sure, but if we're good I'll add it to the 1st post along with other confirmed working mods. Would be good to build up a list of testing stuff. Let me know how you get on with other mods.

Caught half way though an update!

0.2.0 is released

Change Log

• Fixed ScanSat compatibility file
  • Astronomers Visual Pack: Removed Aurora from all bodies except Kerbin and Jool to match magnetic fields of real solar system.
  • Astronomers Visual Pack: Toned down atmospheric glow for Duna, still there but more subtle.
  • Updated rotation of Kerbin to 6 hour day (this is a little fast but matches the clock so I went with it for ease of use.
  • All bodies now rotate to match real solar system analog but scaled for 6 hour Kerbin day (See below).
  • Ike and Mun are still tidally locked.

Download from here http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/sdm_downloads/64k/

Proper web page to follow!

Planet and moon rotations

So I took the rotation of each real solar system body and applied it to it's Kerbin analog. Mercury for Moho, Venus for Eve and so on. I then adjusted the rotation to match Kerbin's 6 hour day. For example Mars rotates once every 1.025 earth days, so Duna rotates every 1.025 Kerbin days.

I used Jupiter's moons for Jool, starting with Io and working out and borrowed one of Jupiter's other moons for Gilly. Ceres is used for Dres.

The result looks brilliant, Jool rotates very fast indeed and when viewing the Joolian system at time warp it looks very much like the Voyager 1 time lapse

. Ike and the Mun are tidally locked, like their real life equivalents. Over all the effect looks very natural and visually pleasing and maintains the stock 6 hour day for ease of use. Edited by Paul Kingtiger

I've be thinking about this over night and I agree a 12 hour day would be better. Unless there are a ton of objections I'll release a patch to take it up to 12 hours, but include optional files for 6 and 24 hours so people have a choice they can go for that.

With the clock, even with 6 or 24 hours the year is going to be out because there's no way to change the number of days in a year. It's a shame that the 6 hour clock isn't tied to Kerbin's rotation and orbital period.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

Thanks for making this package. I've spent hours trying to get larger Kerbal planets working with all the EVE stuff and now here I find it all made simple. Nice work! Also thanks for including easy to follow instructions.

Note that RSS has just updated quite a bit. (The perils of modpacking! :P )

Also: FAR is not on the rec list in the OP. Also also: the original 6.4x install seems to have rather more stuff than this--like launchsites (?)...

Edited by NathanKell

Note that RSS has just updated quite a bit. (The perils of modpacking! :P )

Also: FAR is not on the rec list in the OP. Also also: the original 6.4x install seems to have rather more stuff than this--like launchsites (?)...

Thanks,

I'm in the process of packaging a new release with a 12 hour day and config files for 6 and 24 hour days so users can have options. I'll include the new RSS stuff.

For the launch sites, which is the only thing missing from Kerbol 6.4 I took them out so I could focus on the basics. They will be included back in, once I've got everything bedded down. The background code is still in there, it's just a case of putting the config file back in, although I'm thinking I'll include fewer sites, probably KSC, Canaveral and Baikonur, with the remotetech ground stations to match.

If you wanted to scale it to stock, the day should be about 15 hours long (6 hours * sqrt(6.4)). That would keep all the orbital resonances the same as stock (e.g. for every Mun orbit, Kerbin would rotate the same number of times). This comes from Kepler's third law, when distance is multiplied by a factor of X, time is multiplied by a factor of X^3/2 to keep the orbits working. You would also end up with the same relative boost of equatorial rotation speed to orbital speed when launching a rocket.

If you did that for every planet and moon, you would also end up with the same resonances as stock, like Duna and Ike facing each other all the time. Basically in order to scale up a system by X but keep the same surface gravity, you just need to multiply distances by X, masses by X^2 , and times by X^3/2 .

Version 0.3 is available for download

The mod now has it's own page at http://www.kingtiger.co.uk/kingtiger/wordpress/64k/ with information and download links.

I'll be adding more to the page over time.

0.3 – 19th October 2014

• Kerbin rotation period now 12 hour (12 hour day) with other bodies scaled to match.
  • Optional files for 6 and 24 hour days included.
  • New website

If you wanted to scale it to stock, the day should be about 15 hours long (6 hours * sqrt(6.4)). That would keep all the orbital resonances the same as stock (e.g. for every Mun orbit, Kerbin would rotate the same number of times). This comes from Kepler's third law, when distance is multiplied by a factor of X, time is multiplied by a factor of X^3/2 to keep the orbits working. You would also end up with the same relative boost of equatorial rotation speed to orbital speed when launching a rocket.

If you did that for every planet and moon, you would also end up with the same resonances as stock, like Duna and Ike facing each other all the time. Basically in order to scale up a system by X but keep the same surface gravity, you just need to multiply distances by X, masses by X^2 , and times by X^3/2 .

15 hours may be a bit of an odd number for people to get use it. 12 is a round number and close to the 15 sweet spot. I've also included options for 6 and 24 hour days.

For planet rotation I've used the real solar system as a guide you can see the numbers I've used here The Mun and Ike are both tidally locked.

I guess Baikonur would be in the big desert? Where would Canaveral be?

Not sure, in both cases the important thing is to have them at the right latitude so you have the challenges of launching from the real thing. From there it'll be a case of finding a desert and east coast site that match.

Version 0.3 is available for download

If I may ask, could you reflect the version number with the thread title?

I knew of this new version just because of the ingame check, and would prefer not to load KSP just to find I have to stop and patch :).

Used this add-on (v. 0.3) together with RemoteTech (1.5.1), and found my vessels lost contact at about the 75,000 Km altitude mark, even while having power and long range antennas pointed at KSC.

After checking the "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg" provided with this add-on, the reason shows, it has the same data of the original Settings.cfg generated by RemoteTech, and in particular:

- the range of the KSC antennas, defined in the line "Omni = 7.5E+07";

- the RangeModelType = Standard.

In RemoteTech, with the standard model, communication range is set by the shortest with the antennas, therefore that range with the KSC antennas can't be exceeded. However, 75,000 Km in stock KSP covers well beyond Minmus orbit, and almost to the Kerbin SoI limit (84,159 Km). But with 64K, Minmus orbit is at 300,800 Km (and if my calculations are correct, Kerbin64 SoI limit is at 428,814 Km), therefore a lot more than the range of those antennas.

One improvement could be to set the RangeModelType = Adaptive, that would allow to have the range to depend from both the antennas in a link.

But truly, the issue is that those KSC antennas must have their range multiplied by 6.4, similarly to how done for all other antennas parts with RemoteTech, bringing their range = 480,000 Km

Used this add-on (v. 0.3) together with RemoteTech (1.5.1), and found my vessels lost contact at about the 75,000 Km altitude mark, even while having power and long range antennas pointed at KSC.

After checking the "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg" provided with this add-on, the reason shows, it has the same data of the original Settings.cfg generated by RemoteTech, and in particular:

- the range of the KSC antennas, defined in the line "Omni = 7.5E+07";

- the RangeModelType = Standard.

In RemoteTech, with the standard model, communication range is set by the shortest with the antennas, therefore that range with the KSC antennas can't be exceeded. However, 75,000 Km in stock KSP covers well beyond Minmus orbit, and almost to the Kerbin SoI limit (84,159 Km). But with 64K, Minmus orbit is at 300,800 Km (and if my calculations are correct, Kerbin64 SoI limit is at 428,814 Km), therefore a lot more than the range of those antennas.

One improvement could be to set the RangeModelType = Adaptive, that would allow to have the range to depend from both the antennas in a link.

But truly, the issue is that those KSC antennas must have their range multiplied by 6.4, similarly to how done for all other antennas parts with RemoteTech, bringing their range = 480,000 Km

Yep agreed, I wasn't aware this wasn't the case. I'll look into it tonight and publish a patch. Thanks for letting me know :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.