How far has KSP come?

madmat

While we await the latest release of KSP, what was it like in it\'s first editions.When was it first released? Was there a Mun?What were the physics like?How dodgy were the graphics etc. It would be interesting to look back how this game has progressed. Discuss ;)

While we await the latest release of KSP, what was it like in it\'s first editions.When was it first released? Was there a Mun?What were the physics like?How dodgy were the graphics etc. It would be interesting to look back how this game has progressed. Discuss ;)

No Mun until 2 major releases ago, actually. RCS even only 3. It\'s come very far in a year and a bit!

I still vividly remember the first time I hit perigee without touching atmo. The altimeter slowly slowed down, and I held my breath as it stopped and reversed. It was a magical moment.

Don\'t remember which patch it was. It was before the map screen, or RCS, or atmo gauges, or the mun.

I just had a spreadsheet full of orbital calculations and a whole lot of prayer.

I just had a spreadsheet full of orbital calculations...

I remember those days. That actually sprouted into a notebook of things, for when I can\'t switch between the internet and KSP.

I still vividly remember the first time I hit perigee without touching atmo. The altimeter slowly slowed down, and I held my breath as it stopped and reversed. It was a magical moment.

Don\'t remember which patch it was. It was before the map screen, or RCS, or atmo gauges, or the mun.

I just had a spreadsheet full of orbital calculations and a whole lot of prayer.

I remember trying to get into a circular orbit without time warp and without a map. There was lots of waiting back then.

Man, I remember the first time I played the game. Its been a long time. I think I came in around version .8 or so.

Its amazing all the stuff that\'s been added since that time. You used to have to steer spaceplanes using the flywheels of a souped up command pod, no flight surfaces, no runway, and landing was a one way ticket to explosionville. Its been a grand journey

Mun? MUN? We would have killed for a Mun! We had nothing. Nothing! We pretty much had to carry those rockets all the way to orbit ourselves. And THIS high was the snow! And we didn\'t have any fancy moon boots, nossir!

There was no overview map. No hitting M and suddenly all magically you get to see where your Apogee and Perigee will be, we had to whip out our trusty calculators and go to town on orbital mechanics! You wanted to know whether your Perigee is high enough to stay above the atmosphere? Well, you better know what speed you need at the height you\'re at!

No time warp. No such thing, we had to wait for half an hour or longer for our ship to make an orbit. You wanted to land near the space port? Well, better get a good book with you, because you\'re in for at least 22 minutes of waiting. And then you better know that planet from space and know when the port is about to appear!

No RCS. No fancy shifting sideways, you wanted to fake dock? Well, turn that rocket \'round, sonny, the only kind of thrust you have is coming from your main engine!

No ASAS. Today, switch on ASAS and it takes you to orbit. Not for us, we only had the piddly crap SAS is, and we were GLAD we had it!

No fancy rocket options, we only had one main tank, one main engine and boosters. Yeah, that\'s it. No gimballed engine, no half-sized fuel tanks, no cute little engine for smaller thrust, we had to be able to push our rocket very, very carefully. Because it sure knew how to overheat and blow up!

No saving feature. You wanted to see your rocket land, you had to sit it out, with no time warping!

You don\'t even know how good you got it. And now get offa my lawn!

Haha... I loved the very first versions. I only actually created an account after playing for a while, but came near the very start.

I remember when the dark side of Kerbin was a minefield, and the sun was in a static place relative to you... where the terrain looked weird because directly below you looked perfect but it mushed out further away... I remember when I had to add SAS to absolutely every part, because we had no control surfaces, gimballing engines... Hehe.

You know a games doing great when you look back nostalgically upon it when it\'s not been around for long... this game has greater memories than minecraft, anyways!

Those were to good old days. You new comers wouln\'t appreciate how hard it was then. But it was fun.

The sense of satisfaction from a sucessful orbit was enormous.

I agree completely. My first orbit, I was absolutely thrilled... now orbiting is easy and routine to me.

I agree completely. My first orbit, I was absolutely thrilled... now orbiting is easy and routine to me.

On my first stable orbit I left my PC running the game overnight just so I could see if I really had managed it, or had failed miserably and crashed. Eventually i landed on the DARK side. Only issue I had with the game back then, didn\'t even think of needing anything more.

Heh, I still remember building rockets without the symmetry mode back in 0.7.3

Youd be spending ages zooming in and lining the fins up with bits of detail on the fuel tanks, because if one was out of place (relative to the other fins) by even a tiny amount your rocket would twist mid-air and meet its demise - unless you had it crammed with SAS.

I also remember my first full orbit, was quite an achievement seeing the KSP center coming over the horizon after spending so long on the dark side of Kerbin (no time fast-forwarding at-all)

Then trying to land near the center again, so much pressure! No saving and if you made one mistake youd have to do the whole fight all over again, and spend another 30mins drifting around in orbit. Not to mention water was a death trap at the best of times.

Thats the kinda stuff you get up to when there isnt a Mun to aim for ;P