[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

Question: is it a bug or a feature that rapiers suck out the fuel of tanks behind a decoupler? i know that thanks to the new system, rapiers work like jetengines and use fuel evenlly from all avalibale tanks. but when i use rapiers for my SSTO, i have to lock the fuel of teh cargo to make sure, that teh rapiers to use it, even when the cargo is secured with a decoupler.

Question: is it a bug or a feature that rapiers suck out the fuel of tanks behind a decoupler?

Unfortunately it's a feature. One that I personally disagree with (to a high degree), but done intentionally. In fact, it purposely looks for fuel hiding behind decouplers to suck out first, because it assumes you're going to ditch that stage. This design isn't all that great for SSTO space planes, since you aren't jettisoning fuel tanks, and the first thing behind a decoupler is usually the payload.

On another note, in reference to the overheat bug... I obtained a little help, and it seems I've constructed a fix for it. As far as I can tell, it seems to work. Although I have limited test cases available, so this might be one I release early as an experimental.

Cheers,

~Claw

Version 1.0.4c.1

This release includes two new fixes. I have two choices here. I can hold them and continue to test, with limited time and .craft to test with... Or release to you all and let you have at it. As best as I can tell, they work just fine... But as I said, limited test cases...

Significant Additions:

• OverheatFix - Fixes overheating bug that causes thermal feedback and part explosion.
  • LaunchClampFix - Fixes bug where launch clamps would follow the ship into space, often causing collisions.

So I'm releasing them as experimental. Enjoy!

If you run into problems with parts still overheating, please (please) include .craft files. I cannot fix this further without .craft files.

Edited by Claw

I actually have a craft that is affected by the random overheat and I'll give this a go. However, I'm both on 64-bit and using 60+ mods, so if it helps yay, if not, ah well. Back to the drawing board of ship design!

Edit: After a few minutes of testing my craft which I know explodes in physical time warp, the part no longer explodes! I consider that a rousing success. <3

Edited by IggyHitokage

I still have overheating service bays. The first craft has a drone core next to the bay and it blows up before 15km, the other one has parts between the bay and core and it spontaneously blew up when I started physical warp at ~40km. They use procedural parts, but shouldn't require any other mods other than maybe joint reinforcement.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mecmg8bme3lm1yc/AABRSFkfookecxFQTDXQVY2sa?dl=0

snip

Cool, thanks! Cargo bay / service bay overheats were a piece of this that I am still missing.

So, with that...I'm also going to drop this link here, so I don't lose it later. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126574-1-0-4-Cargo-Bays-Causing-Objects-Adjacent-to-Belly-to-Overheat-and-Explode-on-Pad-or-Runway

Cheers,

~Claw

You can try changing the shielded conduction multiplier in Physics.cfg to 0. That will disable conduction between a cargo bay and anything attached to it that is shielded.

Unfortunately that didn't do it. :(

Unfortunately, I'm still getting random overheat on load/dock/undock/fairings/doors. Nothing seems changed. :(

The fix appears to have fixed issues with small parts (like cubic struts). I managed to get my hands on a cargo bay overheat bug, which is caused by something else (and hence isn't fixed in this release). That was one hole that I knew of in this fix, but I'd need some examples of any others that you're experiencing (such as dock/undock). Without .craft files, pictures, saves, or anything, it's impossible to troubleshoot.

Cheers,

~Claw

Thanks for the craft file. The cargo bay portion of the overheat bug is definitely a separate issue and, as such, is not fixed in the current release.

Thanks again. I can replicate this bug now, so hopefully I can fix it soon when I get some time.

Cheers,

-Claw

Claw, do you only want reported issues for stock installs or are you taking reports for issues with modded installs as well? I ask because I installed your latest bug fix and tested it out and two wheels on my rover that was inside a fairing overheated and exploded during ascent after launch. I was able to reproduce this problem with multiple types of craft, but it only seems to happen when FAR is installed, it will not happen if I uninstall FAR. I am aware that FAR makes the overheating problem worse, but I was curious if your fix would make FAR usable again but it has not. Anyway...not sure if you still want data in this case since FAR is involved, let me know and I'll post the details.

Thanks!

I have a reliably reproducible occasion of a solar panel causing the entire ship to overheat in a matter of seconds. It uses some parts from RemoteTech, but I'm fairly certain those could be taken off and the issue would still occur. Only happens in orbit, not on the launchpad. Gonna do a few more tests, see if I can narrow it down even more.

Edit: The same craft, minus the RT antennas, hyperedited into the same orbit, does not do this. Do you want a .craft file of the one with the RT parts?

Edited by Weatherman159

Claw, do you only want reported issues for stock installs or are you taking reports for issues with modded installs as well?

To some extent, although modified installs can become unbearably difficult to sift through. Not always though, since it was a modded launch clamp that helped me figure out the launch clamp problem.

In this particular case, I'm aware that cargo bay overheating is not fixed. It turns out the overheat bug affecting parts inside cargo bays is different than the one affecting parts outside of cargo bays. So I've managed to fix the latter, but not the former. And the link I posted a couple posts up turns out to include a stock cargo bay bug. So I definitely appreciate the offer, but I think I have a stock example of what you are referring to. Hopefully I can manage a fix for the cargo bay, at which time I will be hoping for people such as yourself to come back and give that a test with FAR. :)

Edit: The same craft, minus the RT antennas, hyperedited into the same orbit, does not do this. Do you want a .craft file of the one with the RT parts?

You can go ahead and post it. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to building up a developmental RT install before dealing with the cargo bay overheating, but having it posted will allow me to get back to it if/when I have time.

Thanks again guys!

~Claw

Are the symmetric chutes not compatible with RealChute? If they are, how do you get them to work? I installed the mod via CKAN and installed the Plus patch manually, but my chutes overlap.

IIRC, the chute stuff does not affect RealChute chutes because they use a different module than stock chutes.

(Of course, this left me saying, "Well, chute!")

Are the symmetric chutes not compatible with RealChute? If they are, how do you get them to work? I installed the mod via CKAN and installed the Plus patch manually, but my chutes overlap.

I believe Kerbas_ad_astra is correct. I think RealChutes has it's own modules, which my StockPlus doesn't interface with. There used to be some incompatibility, which I think is fixed. However, they don't work together since RealChute swaps out the stock modules.

Hey Claw, I wonder if there's a packaging/documentation issue in the latest version (1.0.4c.1). StickyLaunchPadFix isn't in the zip, and "ModuleDockingNode" doesn't seem to do anything (no "MDNStuff.dll" or mention thereof to be found). What's up?

StickyLaunchPadFix was left out intentionally because it isn't working at the moment. ModuleDockingNodeFix was not left out intentionally, so that's a mistake on my part, and is probably just as much explains the few posts up bug report of NREs...

Thanks, and I'd better get on that update. Sorry kerbonauts...

Cheers,

~Claw

Hey Claw, thanks for the overheating fix. Unfortunately I'm still encountering issues.

kEVJtWz.png

When I dock these two ships together, the 4k battery packs (usually just one) have a tendency to explode due to overheating. I tried to rendezvous with this ship after losing the bottom right battery pack with a lander and the entire left side of the ship disappeared as I came into physics loading distance. I'm not entirely sure what happened, as the ship I was piloting registered a single 4k battery pack exploding in the F3 menu, even though the piloted ship had none.

Of course, this is a somewhat heavily modded install (FAR, OPM, SpaceY, KER, Docking Alignment Indicator), so it could easily be the fault of any of them. But there's no cargo bays on this ship, so it's not the issue you haven't resolved yet.

I was previously having cubic octagonals explode on both ships but that seems to have been resolved. As to why it's now the 4k batteries doing it I have no idea.

EDIT: Cubic octagonals are exploding under 4x timewarp as well. I also had a small inline reaction wheel explode. I've heard that FAR exacerbates the problem; perhaps a fix designed for stock isn't compensating enough?

A very strange bug indeed.

Edited by Jodo42

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.