[KSP v1.1.3] Stock Bug Fix Modules (Release v1.1.3b.1 - 10 Jul 16)

Claw

34 minutes ago, tg626 said:

mk2 and 3 fuselage parts haven't had any lift !?!

Well, Mk2 uses Lifting Surface (similar to wings) instead of Body Lift. But yes, the Mk3 parts (and anything that isn't a lifting surface) isn't contributing body lift. Which also means that things like skipping reentries aren't working for the capsules.

13 hours ago, Claw said:

Fixed!

Update 1.1.2b.1:

• Added BodyLiftFix, which fixes broken body lift in 1.1.2.

Again, you should be able to carry over settings from the previous install.

Also, thanks for all the positive feedback. :D (I'll look into updating the editor symmetry highlighting, soonTM.)

Cheers,
~Claw

MY HERO \ 1.0 /

On 2016-05-10 at 5:18 AM, Claw said:

Fixed!

Update 1.1.2b.1:

• Added BodyLiftFix, which fixes broken body lift in 1.1.2.

Again, you should be able to carry over settings from the previous install.

Also, thanks for all the positive feedback. :D (I'll look into updating the editor symmetry highlighting, soonTM.)

Cheers,
~Claw

This is one of very few cases where "don't quit your day job" can be used as a compliment (and prayer) :wink:

I use the symmetry highlighter if you're looking for data points.

Also, does the PilotRSASPlus work out of the box or do I need an additional .dll for it? The ingame info panel for it seems to indicate I need something additional, but the OP doesn't mention it.

Cheers, and thanks for this mod.

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Also, does the PilotRSASPlus work out of the box or do I need an additional .dll for it?

The download comes with the required .dll (inside the PilotRSASFix folder). The Plus portion is included inside that same .dll as the fix, but the plus options are not active unless you turn it on in the GUI.

By default, the PilotRSASFix does some tweaking to the pilot functions. The plus functions for this module also gives access to three tweakable options, which will affect the amount of input and some of the oscillations, depending on your ship design. There are still some cases where the vessel will bounce itself around and the fix will not help (a single Mk1 capsule being a prime example).

Hopefully that clears it up a little. :)

Nice work @Claw! Thx.

I've FAR, Realchutes and Dynamic Deflection installed. Do I need to remove the dlls for ControlSurface, BodyLift and Parachutes to avoid issues or are the mods recognized/will they override your settings? Will there be issues if I remove these dlls?

2 hours ago, funk said:

I've FAR, Realchutes and Dynamic Deflection installed. Do I need to remove the dlls for ControlSurface, BodyLift and Parachutes to avoid issues or are the mods recognized/will they override your settings? Will there be issues if I remove these dlls?

As far as I know, the only modules that aren't compatible is the ModuleParachutePlus with Realchutes. (Not sure if anything has changed with 1.1.X.) I believe FAR has it's own set of things it does for control surfaces, so you probably don't need mine.

You can safely remove the .dlls that you don't want, except for the StockBugFixPlusController. That one is needed if you are using any of the other modules. (There is an exception to this, which is the BodyLiftFix. If the BodyLiftFix is the only fix you desire, then you can safely get rid of everything except BodyLiftFix.dll. If you are using anything else, you'll need the controller's .dll.)

I didn't checked everything in 1.1.x releases, but I have used both, FAR and stock fixes without issues.
FAR add one set of things on control surfaces while stock fixex gives you another set of tweakables on top of that. It worked nice in combination to allow fine tuning your craft, in a way how you want to control surfaces response to input.

BodyLiftFix is not needed at all with FAR because FAR calculate lift in compleatly different way. Trough voxelization process any part can provide lift, even if that part does not have config for lift in stock game at all. You may encounter problems with some mods though, if those moded parts don't have collision boxes set in proper way to allow voxelization for FAR.

Is it possible in-editor to temporarily disable fairing transparency & segment separation, when mouse cursor approaches a fairing?

This automatic process, while very cool and enabling editing of parts inside a fairing, can interfere with strut and parts placement outside, but close to fairings.

11 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Is it possible in-editor to temporarily disable fairing transparency & segment separation

It looks like this might be possible via plugin. I would have to experiment a little, but it's a possibility.

12 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

Is it possible in-editor to temporarily disable fairing transparency & segment separation, when mouse cursor approaches a fairing?

This automatic process, while very cool and enabling editing of parts inside a fairing, can interfere with strut and parts placement outside, but close to fairings.

Not only that, it also interferes with placing struts from payload to the inside of a fairing, which one is forced to work around by elaborately 'tricking' the editor (with creative camera angles and extensive truss frames outside the fairings) into leaving the fairing in place when placing such struts.

Would be a very welcome toggle indeed.

(And yes, even with auto-struts in 1.1+ fairings, I find additional struts are sometimes required to secure a payload. Don't judge me. :blush:)

I agree that a way to disable the cool "exploded view" for stock fairings would be nice, but you might also consider using Procedural Fairings as at least a temporary alternative. (Actually, it's pretty much all I use.)

The body lift fix is nice for Mk2 and Mk3 planes, but with it installed some of my rockets are generating so much body lift the second I try and gravity turn, they flip over backwards, no matter how hard I try and turn against it. I suppose there's no way to disable this for the round rocket fuel tanks, and leave it for the airplane bits?

10 hours ago, vardicd said:

The body lift fix is nice for Mk2 and Mk3 planes, but with it installed some of my rockets are generating so much body lift the second I try and gravity turn, they flip over backwards, no matter how hard I try and turn against it. I suppose there's no way to disable this for the round rocket fuel tanks, and leave it for the airplane bits?

well... this is the stock behaviour since 1.0.0 :P

6 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

well... this is the stock behaviour since 1.0.0 :P

I know there's been this behavior since 1.0, but I've never seen it generate lift this extreme. I had a simple, small rocket, one Mk 1 command pod, one fuel tank, the largest of the 1 meter size tanks, and the lv-45 gimbaling rocket engine generate so much lift off the body it started doing somersaults the minute I tried to start a gravity turn, just barely tapping the 'D' key. It was insane. It was like on some of the youtube vids where some part generates phantom forces and a craft will start flipping out and breaking physics.

41 minutes ago, vardicd said:

but I've never seen it generate lift this extreme

Check the body lift multiplier, and see if it inadvertently got set to something wacky. I think it's supposed to be around 18.

There's a bug that, when the physics.cfg is present, results in the model config being loaded but put into the appropriate spot. The only thing the fix does is force the game to reload the loaded body lift model. So check your physics.cfg first.

Hi Claw.

May be someone already suggested it but is it possible to implement wheel steering fix as a part of your mod? Now the wheels seem to turn linearily: the longer you hold a key, the greater the angle is. That leads to imprecise and very dangerous keyboard steering at medium to fast speeds. I think that wheels should turn according the exponential law: the longer you press the faster they turn, starting very slowly, may be even with reducing sensitivity as the surface speed grows.

Edited by Ser

On 5/20/2016 at 11:10 PM, Ser said:

is it possible to implement wheel steering fix as a part of your mod?

I'm not sure off hand, I'd have to take a look. It might be in a spot of code that's hard to change via add-on.

7 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

Hey Claw, is there a way to add a tweak menu option to adjust docking port magnetization force?

I think so. There's actually quite a few options available for docking ports that can be turned into tweakables.

One tiny suggestion:

Change the StockBugFixPlusController from .cfg to .xml or something, because a change of the StockBugFixPlusController.cfg changes its checksum so the Module Manager applies everything from scratch, also when nothing else has changed.

This is because MM checks for everything that ends with .cfg

Edited by Gordon Dry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.