KSP first? Reddit user CuriousMetaphor's EVE return, squared.

Majorjim!

Cleared out in an update. Whenever an update comes out I wipe out all my saves and start anew.

Too bad, I love seeing extremely high dV ships. I start new saves every update too but keep some of the better screenshots, though I lost a bunch of stuff in an HDD crash a little over a year ago.

Ha just saw this, I'm glad you like it.

I'm not sure if it's been done before, I've never seen it posted though. It's not really that hard to do, it's relatively straightforward to plan, just requires a time investment and a computer that won't melt. You just start at the end and work backwards: think of the smallest spacecraft that can take Jeb from low Eve orbit back to Kerbin, then think of a spacecraft that can take that ship from Eve's surface to low Eve orbit, then think of a spacecraft that can take that ship to Eve's surface, etc.

The highest delta-v ship I made without jets or ions was the Jool ascent rocket with 22 km/s of delta-v, could probably go up to about 26 km/s now with the 3.75m parts. I keep most of my screenshots and old versions of KSP around with every patch, and occasionally put them into my imgur albums.

Edited by metaphor

This post fills me with shame over my inability to make an Eve-worthy rocket that gets off the ground, much less one that makes multiple trips to Eve without refuelling. I nominate the person who did this for the Medal of Jebediah, with solid rocket booster clusters.

When trying to land on the Sun, the ship explodes at about 1300m altitude, even if going at a very low velocity. It's similar to what happens on Jool at -250m.

Too bad, I love seeing extremely high dV ships.

Here's one I just made with all chemical engines and a lander pod (no command chair), with 19400 m/s of delta-v and relatively high TWR it can take off into low Jool orbit from the 0m altitude marker.

sE1fDia.png

Only 146 parts, much easier to build than before the asteroid update.

edit: Another all-chemical one with lander pod, 23100 m/s, 391 parts.

1fOGV1y.png

10 more stages would give it about 24 km/s, I think that's nearing the limit of all-chemical craft with high-ish TWR.

Edited by metaphor

Impressive, however,I do find the use of only a command seat for these things to be a cheat. Might as well just use a probe... I'd like to see him do it with a proper lander can or pod

I agree. It bet it can be done, IMHO it would be more impressive to not use a seat but a lander can, or even a Mk3 capsule.

I agree. It bet it can be done, IMHO it would be more impressive to not use a seat but a lander can, or even a Mk3 capsule.

It definitely would be more impressive, since each stage of the rocket would have to be several times larger.