How many Stages do you use?

KerikBalm

Stages for a simple Plant flag and return mission?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Stages for a simple Plant flag and return mission?

• 1-2
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9 or more

For a simple mission (land a kerbal, plant a flag, return) beyond LKO, not including "hard" destinations like: Moho/Eve/Tylo/Eeloo, how many stages do you typically use?

Count landers used in orbital rendevous as a stage.

For me:

1) 1-2 stages to orbit (typically, sometimes its much more for very heavy payloads, but I have little problem getting 100 ton SSTOs to orbit)

2) 1 stage to destination

3) 1 stage to land and ascend again

4) 1 stages to return to kerbin aerobrake (may be the same as #2, with a partially full fuel tank detached at the destination as a propellant depot for multiple landings with the lander)

5) 0-1 stage to return kerbals to Kerbin (either a SSTO crew shuttle, or deorbiting a capsule, or sometimes the whole thing, but I like to leave stuff in orbit for refueling)

So.... 4-6 stages typically for me

And the rest of you?

Do your rockets shed debris like crazy, or do you enjoy lugging dead weight around?

I usually go for:

Stage 1 is where the main engine goes and possible SRBs. Mainly to launch me off the ground.

Stage 2 is still the main engine but without the SRBs, from there I can make it to orbit, if I don't then stage 3.

Stage 3 is smaller engine to orbit and circularisation and enough fuel to rendez-vous or go to Mun or Minmus. In some cases this stage is also use to get me interplanetary.

Stage 4 is the payload (satellite/lander/whatever) and depending of the mission is also the return vehicle (I don't like the 2 stages lander designs).

I rarely go beyond 4 stages. And the stage 3 is optional in some cases. I don't worry too much for debris because I let the option to zero debris allowed. My debris (if I kept them) would be mainly SRBs and fairings.

Well, i use a launch stage (1) to get to apogee, then a transfer stage (2) to circularize and / or go to the target, then the lander (3) goes down, flag planted and up again and home. Sometimes i leave a return stage (4) in orbit if the lander gets too heavy with all that return stuff attached.

It depends. I have one lander design I like using called the "Lander-Returner". Not a great name, but hey. It's a two-stage design with a descent stage and an ascent/reentry stage - sometimes I can get away with both using the same engine (jettisoning extraneous fuel tanks, legs, goo pods that have had the science removed etc.). Getting THAT 2-stage thing into space usually involves one mainsail or LFB-powered launch stage and one LVT-90 or poodle-powered circularization/cruise stage. So... four stages total for a typical return mission to the Mun.

Minmus is easier - you can omit the ascent stage entirely as the delta-v for both landing and ascent (or escape for that matter) at Minmus is laughable.

For something relatively easy like Mun or Minmus, I like to RP a little and do it Apollo-style:

1. Lots of big boosters to get off the ground.

2. Fewer boosters to get up to parking (LKO) orbit altitude. Any leftover fuel will be used to begin the orbital burn.

2.5. For larger payloads, an extra stage may be added to help get into and circularize the parking orbit. Otherwise, this job it split between the second ascent stage and the transfer stage.

3. Transfer stage to get payload from LKO to target. For a full Apollo RP, this is the command unit with lander attached.

4. Descent stage to deorbit the lander and get it down to the surface.

4.5. For a fully Apollo-style mission, the lander will have a second stage to get back to orbit, leaving the descent stage on the surface. Otherwise, the same stage will be used for both functions.

Depending on the mission either the lander will rendezvous with the command module, which carries the crew back, or the lander will simply fly back on its own.

It all depends on the size of the craft. My Kethane Jool-5 challenge ship used 5 stages to reach orbit, using a combination of boosters and asparagus staging. Of course, that was a 335 ton ship when it left LKO. More recently, using interstellar, it can be a single stage to orbit, using a hybrid thermal jet engine / rocket mounted to a microwave thermal receiver pushing a big liquid fuel tank. It uses just air for the first 11,000 meters or so, then switches over to the thermal rocket with an ISP that tops out at 866 in vacuum.

Let's see. For a typical single use rocket (this is probably what I would use for any local use, unless I performing a dry run of a long range mission):

Stage 1/2 (Liftoff): Stage 1 is the main engines + boosters, fueled by stage 1 booster fuel tanks.

Stage 2 (Liftoff II): After jettisoning the stage one engines and tanks, the main engine continues using the stage 2 fuel tanks. Usually jettisoned just prior to establishing orbital velocity.

Stage 3 (Transfer): Initial orbit is completed by the stage 3 engines and fuel. Stage 3 is then responsible for transfer to the next orbit, and establishing the second orbit.

Stage 4 (Descent): This is the lander. It's responsible for getting out of orbit and then not blowing up.

Stage 5 (Return): Re-establish orbit and return home.

My longer range ships are simpler, but is technically 5 stages:

Stage 1-3/4 (Liftoff-Orbit): Asparagus ascent setup. 3 pairs of boosters and a main stage. Stage 4 is the main engine.

Stage 5/6 (Payload/Ship): The final stage in the initial rocket. LV-N powered command module/ship/tug. Perfectly capable of traveling to Minmus or the Mun, landing, and returning with the fuel it launched with. Typically used with the Kethane mod to facilitate refueling capabilities on longer journeys, with Kethane parts creating a 6th stage (the payload) docked to the back, which is typically where the landing gear is mounted.

Depending the size of my ship that can vary between 3 to 6. I used to make lot of Asparagus but since I tend to reduce part count, I'm using NovaPunch now.

1-3 ascent stage. Usually one for SRB/LFOB another for the first inline stage with the big ass engine. For the heaviest rockets I have a third inline stage to get rid of the big fuel tank weight and maximize efficiency. Not enough to perform circularization so they'll end smashing into the ground.

1 orbiting stage. With a probe core and spare fuel to deorbit it after circularization.

1 transfert and capture stage with a probe core too for same reason, I hate dead stage floating around, waiting for smashing your active vessel when you didn't expect that kind of VERY bad surprise.

1 main stage (the vessel) with enough fuel to do her job and to come back home.

As required.

That may seem like a glib answer but it's true. A small payload going to LKO might have a one or two stage lifter while a big interplanetary mission might have a three or four onion stages in the lifter plus whatever staging is in the payload. I've also been playing with spaceplanes a bit, those are almost all single stage.

well it really depends.

lately i've been thinking about making some colonies or military outposts so they need a lot of launches but if you are talking about a single craft if its not a complex mission like visiting several moons on jool or going to eve probably about 4 stages (1 SRB,1 Liquid Core, 1 Circularization + Transfer stage , 1 Lander / Return Stage) plus sometimes i do replicas like the Konstellation challenge

For me

Stage 1 solids + main engine (sometimes first stage is pure solids, depends on mission)

Stage 2 Solids are droped, main engien gets up to AP and near orbital velocities. For exceptionaly heavy payloads there may be droptanks or additional radial stages inserted here.

Stage 3 LKO circulation/transfer stage. Launch stage is jettisoned so it will reenter and this stage finalizes the orbit and is responsible for getting payload to destination.

stage 4 mission payload

There is some variation depending on mission profile but thats my standard design. heaver launches may have more stages that are cross fed into the central stack. Transfer stage may be larger if an apolo style mission is planed. local sat launches tend to merge stage 3 and 4 into one. Eve landers are in a stage class of their own :P High dV targets like moho may end up with 2 transfer stages as well, one to get there and another to slow down once there.

Four stages;

1. SRBs to about 10,000 meters.

2. Liquid fuel core to orbit and insertion burn.

3. Liquid fuel stage to orbit and landing.

4. Liquid fuel stage to complete landing and return to Kerbal.

5GjSvKM.jpg

The manned lander is similar in design and concept.

Edited by SRV Ron

I try to aim for 3-4 stages if at all possible, but missions that are more complex may require more. If I am doing more than one body the stage could may go up depending on what the payload is, I know my current project has a fair amount of staging but it is needed for the mission.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.