Cannae/EmDrive

Northstar1989

1 hour ago, DDE said:

I am even more skeptical since all the whackos in NASA are rallying around it. The warp drive team claims that the EmDrive's cavity produces a warped space-time metric of the kind they're looking for.

Well, something IS pushing this thing back and forth. Why not minuscule but noticeable, localised "bump" in spacetime curvature? It's like water flowing through the channel with variable width - changes of water level are clearly visible depending how much room it have between channel's walls. And water needs to be moving - without active flow water level will equalize, and there will be no "wave" to surf on for a warpship. Maybe differences is compression of microwave flow between wider and narrower ends of EmDrive chamber are sufficient for creation of small, weak "bubble"? Exciting :D

2 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Well, something IS pushing this thing back and forth. Why not minuscule but noticeable, localised "bump" in spacetime curvature? It's like water flowing through the channel with variable width - changes of water level are clearly visible depending how much room it have between channel's walls. And water needs to be moving - without active flow water level will equalize, and there will be no "wave" to surf on for a warpship. Maybe differences is compression of microwave flow between wider and narrower ends of EmDrive chamber are sufficient for creation of small, weak "bubble"? Exciting :D

Yeah, but that's no better explanation than "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow".

the only one i seen that looked even remotely promising is the tiny one that can fit in a cube sat. runs at a higher frequency so requires a smaller resonant cavity.  when activated if it begins a slow spiral out, it works. it gets it into the realm of crowd funding and is probibly cheaper than all experiments done on the em drive so far.

My undergraduate physics knowledge tell me this is not possible (high school knowledge tells me the same thing). Some (I suppose) intelligent people at NASA and a good lot of well-known labs and universities tell this is not possible.
A handful of random guys claim they built several, with no theoretical research supporting their claims, results drowning in noise, and obvious bias towards their own interests.

People were sceptical about QM and relativity about a century ago. Until M-M experiment showed ether was fantasy and photoelectric stuff was explained by wave-particle duality. I still think EM drive it's BS though. Putting one of their holed boxes in orbit will hopefully give an answer to this (though the inventors probably have dozens of excuses ready if it doesn't work).

Edited by Gaarst

45 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

My undergraduate physics knowledge tell me this is not possible (high school knowledge tells me the same thing). Some (I suppose) intelligent people at NASA and a good lot of well-known labs and universities tell this is not possible.
A handful of random guys claim they built several, with no theoretical research supporting their claims, results drowning in noise, and obvious bias towards their own interests.

People were sceptical about QM and relativity about a century ago. Until M-M experiment showed ether was fantasy and photoelectric stuff was explained by wave-particle duality. I still think EM drive it's BS though. Putting one of their holed boxes in orbit will hopefully give an answer to this (though the inventors probably have dozens of excuses ready if it doesn't work).

I am one of the handful of random guys. Feel free to ask me a question while I happen to be posting here.

3 hours ago, rfmwguy said:

I am one of the handful of random guys. Feel free to ask me a question while I happen to be posting here.

Yaay! You're here :D I followed your experiments on NASASpaceflight until i got bogged in a backlog of unread posts :)

This guy is legit, folks :)

11 minutes ago, radonek said:

OK, question: what is the fuss with null article producing thrust? And could the thing fit into cubesat?

Aside from violating Newton's laws of motion that are pretty much the basis for physics as we know it?

19 hours ago, Jonfliesgoats said:

still think confirmation bias from hopeful nerds plays a role in the success of the EM drive, but, if this thing does genuinely produce thrust in a vacuum, we need it in KSP.

So what are people's thoughts on this thing?

We already got it in KSP. Strap an LV-1 on the back of your ship, dial the thrust limiter way back and switch on infinite fuel. :)

I suppose purists could request a mod to remove the exhaust plume.

2 minutes ago, KSK said:

We already got it in KSP. Strap an LV-1 on the back of your ship, dial the thrust limiter way back and switch on infinite fuel. :)

Turning on infinite fuel would be cheating. Using a mod with an engine that doesn't use propellant, obviously, is not. :wink:

Hey, what's the fuss about? We accepted the Quantum Thruster - engine that is creating thrust by pumping virtual quantum plasma. "Virtual" as in "it doesn't really exist, but we can fool Nature into thinking it actually does." :P