Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

This thread is for discussing the Realism Overhaul suite of mods. You can get Realism Overhaul, and its list of required mods, from the Realism Overhaul Release Thread

KrrGut2l.png

Idy6EzAl.png

Links

Realism Overhaul Craft Repository

Real Solar System Craft Megathread

RealSolarSystem subreddit

Support

This is not a support thread for mod issues. If you are encountering a bug with one of the mods in the Realism Overhaul mod suite, please post on that particular thread. However, this is the thread for general tips and tricks and discussion. Things you should ask here: How do a I build a launch vehicle that can get to orbit? or How do I take a trip to Mars? or I need to add verniers or ullage motors for control or ullaging my propellants. What should I do? Things you should not ask here: My game crashes, here's a log. Help? or How do I fix parts exploding on launch? or RSS crashes while applying its changes, how do I fix it?

Edited by NathanKell
Update RO thread link

For those of you wanting to fly high-altitude high-mach jets in .25 but are having problems with parts overheating and exploding, I give you my temporary RO Fixer-Upper set of configs. Supports some stock, most of SPP, and B9 wings and gears. I don't make any claims to realism, but it's not absurdly overpowered as far as temperature maximums and reflective heat shielding go.

Also adds tweakscale to B9 landing gear, auto TAC support for all crewed parts up to... uh... 12 crew members, I think (gives one day's worth of supplies or thereabouts), and a few other misc odds and ends. Delete whatever you don't want to use. The temperature fixes are in the RealismOverhaul/ subfolder.

Installation: Copy the zzz_ROFixerUpper folder in the .zip into your GameData/ folder.

Edited by jrandom

In my RO game, I'm having trouble with remote tech. I've been using the largest omni-directional antennae as well as one of the smaller dishes and I lose connection after going 10 million meters away from earth. this is well within the orbit of the moon. Basically, I think the remote tech parts are very underpowered for RO. Is it supposed to be this way?

I don't see what you're talking about. the second post in the RO thread has a link to city lights and some calc.xls thing. also, I'm getting a malware alert when I click on the RO link in your signiture. it links to some strange website. Actually all of the links in your signature. you might want to check that out.

I don't see what you're talking about. the second post in the RO thread has a link to city lights and some calc.xls thing. also, I'm getting a malware alert when I click on the RO link in your signiture. it links to some strange website. Actually all of the links in your signature. you might want to check that out.

bit.ly is just a url shortener: it would have redirected you to the RO thread, but google seems to have had an argument with that site :)

@Walkinator: This one. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80983870/RemoteTech_Settings.cfg

As for RT ranges in RO, IF everything is up to date, and you have things installed properly, then no, ranges are fine, as in the largest dish has the range 5Tm beyond the current location of Voyager 1. I'm guessing you DON'T have the file linked above. The largest omni (CommTech EXP-VR-2T)has a range of 10Mm, which corresponds to your issue. The smallest dish (stock Comms DTS-M1) has a range 40x that of the omni. Note the detail I just gave you rather than 'biggest omni' and 'smaller dish'. So...in addition to not having the file linked above, you don't have your dish set up properly. So when that magic 10Mm point hits, boom, you lose connection. Of course without logs, pictures, and basically as much data/detail you can provide, we can't help you.

@NathanKell: FYI it's now linked next to the along with the RT link.

Edited by RedAV8R

okay, so it is working as intended i guess. I don't think my dish is working at all however. as I mentioned before I am using one of the dishes, I have it targeted at Kerbin, but it still loses connection after a certain distance that i within it's range. do I have to have it target a more specific place like cape Canaveral?

edit: I figured it out, all is well.

Edited by walkinator
I answered my own question.

Can someone tell me what to do with main.png to get lights on Earth at night? I put it in BoulderCo/CityLights/Textures first as main.png and then as main.tga but no luck. I'm using the low-res textures for RSS on mac, if that matters.

Verniers are merely engines with a fair amount of gimbal that are placed next to larger engines. They are used to control attitude and for fine adjustments in final velocity. Example: Atlas sustainer has a 350kN engine, and two 5kN verniers. The main engine does gimbal, but since there's only one, it can't provide roll control. The main engine shuts off when the velocity is almost as desired; the low-thrust verniers then thrust for a few seconds to a few dozen seconds to provide the precise velocity desired.

Ullage motors are either liquid or solid motors that ullage your propellants (i.e. provide a bit of acceleration so the propellants settle to the bottom of the tanks and the engines don't suck gas instead). This is needed so you can start engines reliably when not under thrust or on the surface of a body. You can use RCS (which really aren't any different from any other liquid engines, except that they are fed by propellant bladders that don't require ullaging, usually), or if you only need it once some small solids.

Phredward: which version of EVE? What files are in that folder?

Ah. The Overhaul works better. If you want to use 7-4, you will need to nuke main.tga, the take the main.png from the OP and offset it 2048 pixels left (i.e. 1/4 the width) and then flip it horizontally.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Is there something that's included in RO that makes it so I shouldn't be using EVE at all?

It's in the right-click tweakables menu, same place as where you change the size and shape type.

That is part of procedural parts right? I don't have that installed yet since it says .25 is a WIP

Edit: Yup thatd be where it is, thank you!

Edited by Keudn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.